New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[contabo.com] My VPS is down and the support answers after 10 hours of waiting

memexmemex Member
edited March 2022 in General

Last night, my VPS stopped working. There is no way to restart it through the control panel. I contacted support, but only after 10 hours I got the standard answer.

We recently experienced technical difficulties in our data center, which our systems were unfortunately unable to resolve on their own. Since our monitoring systems nevertheless alerted us, our technical department immediately began investigating and rectifying the situation.

ps. I am very unhappy with the quality of service.

Comments

• AndruAndru Member

Paying 5euro, losing millions :(

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

FWIW My Contabo VPS seems to be down too.

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited March 2022

10.03.2022 11:05 pm (UTC+1) Network interruption in our data center Duesseldorf (DE)
    Estimated duration: 540 minutes
    At the moment, we are experiencing a network interruption in our Duesseldorf data center. Some network segments are offline. Your server might be unreachable. All of our staff are working on this issue. We ask for your understanding that we want to give the highest priority to solving this problem as quickly as possible and that, therefore, we are not reachable as we normally are and that we cannot respond to your messages as quickly as we normally do. All services that are affected will be checked by us. If your service is unreachable, you do not need to send us a message, we will check it on our own. We are doing everything in our power to bring your services back online as quickly as possible!

[UPDATE 11.03.2022 09:04 am (UTC+1)]
    The network interruption in our Duesseldorf data center is still ongoing. Some network segments are offline. The issue affects only the network segments and not the servers. The servers themselves are switched on and running. The network issue is caused by one of our Internet carriers. The fiber lines from their place to our data center are physically cut. We are working with our Internet carrier on 2 different solutions in parallel. The issue is complex and the given ETA for solution is 6 hours. Further updates will follow on a permanent basis.

Excavator/digger strikes again! ;)

• henixhenix Member

just download your disaster recovery plan right away!!

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • amarcamarc Veteran

Yea their support went from answering 10PM on weekends to 10+ days of resolving simple rDNS issue. This change seems started as they started to "expand" worldwide.

I started moving away what I can to other provider(s).

From what I figured out they hired some outsorced support or some kids/students that try to convince you "everything is OK" and that do not either understand what is going on or do not have access to anything and their only job is to "answer" on ticket no matter what.

When actuall issue comes to person who knows what to do issue is probably resolved quickly.

• Some datacenter tech with a trolley probably rolled over the fiber line and cut it.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

This is usually the issue that happens from expansion and it makes me wonder really if there is a way to balance expansion of services and also balance tech support, it looks like it's not a 1:1 ration thing. If I were to guess, it gets hard and expensive to bring in more qualified support but really would need providers to confirm my theory.

As for 10 hours, that isn't extremely bad, Hetzner seems to answer me closer to 24 hours (which is not too bad) but compared to most of the LET hosts here, I get answered within much less time which I do appreciate. See, sometimes cheaper doesn't always sacrifice quality, kudos the current providers I am with, thank you!

• umzakumzak Member

contabo took more than 6 hours to reply my ticket

the best support I've ever received was from upcloud, with the chat feature, they answered instantly, and fixed it right away. Racknerd is also good for answering my ticket in minutes

Thanked by 1UpCloud
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@JabJab said:
    The network issue is caused by one of our Internet carriers. The fiber lines from their place to our data center are physically cut.

They are single-homed? Me surprised.

• adnsadns Member

I have two VPSs in DDF. My old VPS (in this DC since an year) works well, but my newer VPS that I bought with free +200 GB SSD had not functioned properly since the previous week. There was packet losses, big ping times and low speeds. I wrote to the support but their solution only solved the problem for a few hours. I wrote again a week ago but they didn't answer. I can confirm @amarc their support worse than earlier since the expansion.

• imagine those who paid setup fees for the big SSD VPS only to suffer poor performance

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited March 2022

@jsg said: They are single-homed? Me surprised.

Idk. Seems like part of DC has one line while other part has other line(s?)? From the wording seems like 'some of our servers'. I don't understand the fuck is happening there and why just not re-route shit internally via working cable(s)?

also I don't believe theirs 'ETA' (3 hours left) has any merit if they still need to dig it up and fusion splice cable with 288 fibers... 288.

[UPDATE 11.03.2022 12:00 pm (UTC+1)]

We have identified the reason behind the network interruption in our Duesseldorf data center, which is affecting some of our servers in Duesseldorf. The problem is at a construction site at the highway A46. During digging a cable with 288 fibers was cut, but the workers did not recognize and filled up the hole afterwards, so now they have to dig again to find the actual place of damage

• Oh man that digger is gonna get fired. :'(

• got the answer for packet loss. my vps were down today.

• A FEW Days ago a friend account was canceled due a ddos attack ...
    contabo work just for some non productive test ...

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited March 2022

[UPDATE 11.03.2022 01:55 pm (UTC+1)]
    The issue with the network cable at the highway A46 is not yet fixed and work is in progress, but we found and have implemented a temporary workaround to establish network connectivity to all servers. All servers should be accessible but with lower throughput, so network performance can be limited. We are still working on all solutions. No change of given ETA.

So they decided to re-route it internally, after like 14 hours.

• active8active8 Member
    edited March 2022

-deleted

• TejyTejy Member

I still don't understand some people mentality. You're paying for a really cheap service.
    You can't expect 99,9999% SLA, and 10min GRT.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I contacted support, but only after 10 hours I got the standard answer.

You should be thankful of getting an answer at all.
    Nowadays with many providers, when you contact support, you'll get:

• No reply at all because provider only works 2 hours a day and thinks your problem unimportant.
    • $15 fee because the server is bought during promotion.
    • €4 fee because the ticket is deemed false.
    • Account closed because you are deemed "stupid".
  • @yoursunny said:

I contacted support, but only after 10 hours I got the standard answer.

You should be thankful of getting an answer at all.
    Nowadays with many providers, when you contact support, you'll get:

• No reply at all because provider only works 2 hours a day and thinks your problem unimportant.
    • $15 fee because the server is bought during promotion.
    • €4 fee because the ticket is deemed false.
    • Account closed because you are deemed "stupid".

The everyday life of lowend customers :)

• IPv4 connections works but IPv6 don't, anyone noticed this ?

• KermEdKermEd Member
    edited March 2022

@jsg said:

@JabJab said:
    The network issue is caused by one of our Internet carriers. The fiber lines from their place to our data center are physically cut.

I worked for a large tech company once upon a time, with dual fiber going to two different providers and we had just moved into the new giant building.

An excavator was digging out the park space, and cut the internet. The designer who planted the two cables didn't think to run them out two different sides of the building - so they cut the building and data center off on both accounts.

It was a bit funny at the time for me, but clients were pretty angry as the company handled its own servers.

To be fair, I was with them from about 40 people to 3,000 at that point and the growth rather sudden. So it was a learning less for sure

• @KermEd said:
    I worked for a large tech company once upon a time, with dual fiber going to two different providers and we had just moved into the new giant building.

An excavator was digging out the park space, and cut the internet. The designer who planted the two cables didn't think to run them out two different sides of the building - so they cut the building and data center off on both accounts.

Well, this is almost exactly what also happened at the early days of the AMS-IX in Amsterdam. Then 1 location and the fiber went out of the building at opposite ways for redundancy. However, just outside the fence the telecom operator put them into the same ditch... and then someone had to dig a hole just a little bit further...

Thanked by 1KermEd
  • @jsg said:

@JabJab said:

At least it isn't like in their NYC location. Their only upstream provider is Cogent. Yes, even on IPv6, which means no HE clients for you.

• GhtGht Member

This is not Contabo support , wrong place

• @active8 said:
    IPv4 connections works but IPv6 don't, anyone noticed this ?

Yeah, I noticed this aswell.

• adnsadns Member

@active8 said:
    IPv4 connections works but IPv6 don't, anyone noticed this ?

I have same experience. It seems to be that only IPv4 traffic rerouted. It is more than nothing but in the real life the network is very limited low speed and too high packet loss. The latter problem makes the network unusable in everyday life.

• bkjbkj Member

@Woet premtabo