Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner US review?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner US review?

Launching a new product soon, and downtime will become genuinely costly.

Don't wanna waste money on AWS-type services, either.

Thus, Hetzner, USA.

TLDR:

Does anyone have a review on Hetzner, USA?

• Disk
  • CPU
  • Reliability (uptime, specifically)
  • Etc

Thanks.

Comments

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

Why not use upcloud or something with 100% sla

Thanked by 2SirFoxy UpCloud
  • ErisaErisa Member
    edited March 2022

Have been running it for a production use-case for 4 months now, absolutely zero downtime or network issues. All worked perfectly.

The disk and CPU are the same as their equivalent instances in other regions, would you like me to create an instance to YABS it or are you happy paying 1 cent to do that yourself?

Network is 10Gbps per node shared across client VMs, averages anywhere between 1 and 5 Gbps at any given moment. This is the same as other regions.

Thanked by 2SirFoxy JasonM
  • @bruh21 said:

SLAs are generally just marketing from my experience, and dont necessarily determine real reliability.

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • @Erisa said:
    Have been running it for a production use-case for 4 months now, absolutely zero downtime or network issues. All worked perfectly.

The disk and CPU are the same as their equivalent instances in other regions, would you like me to create an instance to YABS it or are you happy paying 1 cent to do that yourself?

Network is 10Gbps per node shared across client VMs, averages anywhere between 1 and 5 Gbps at any given moment. This is the same as other regions.

Lol, I can run the YABS myself I was mostly just looking for personal use cases of consistent performance (so not just a YABS).

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • ErisaErisa Member

@SirFoxy said:

@Erisa said:

Lol, I can run the YABS myself I was mostly just looking for personal use cases of consistent performance (so not just a YABS).

Yeah no worries. All consistent here for the past 4 months. Can't say much more than that.

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • JeDaYoshiJeDaYoshi Member
    edited March 2022

Yeah, I can second that. Hetzner USA is pretty decent and on-par with their other regions. Have been using it in production, and it's extremely smooth and well-behaving.

Thanked by 2Erisa SirFoxy
  • jadenjaden Member

Thirded. Have been running 5 Hetzner USA VPSes for the past several months and they've been rock solid. Hetrixtools hasn't reported any downtime and performance has been great.

Thanked by 2Erisa SirFoxy
  • @SirFoxy said:

@bruh21 said:

SLAs are generally just marketing from my experience, and dont necessarily determine real reliability.

Any examples? Real SLA have economic impact to the provider to ensure low support turn around times. They'll be more organized and have status pages.

Virmach gave me credit without requesting one time. Another provider provided credit with a ticket.

• @SirFoxy said:

@Erisa said:

Use cases? You mean "experience"?

• sonicsonic Veteran

Does anyone know which Hetzner location has best network/uptime?

• @TimboJones said:

@SirFoxy said:

@bruh21 said:

Any examples? Real SLA have economic impact to the provider to ensure low support turn around times. They'll be more organized and have status pages.

Virmach gave me credit without requesting one time. Another provider provided credit with a ticket.

Hey bud,

Fuck off.

Thanks.

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2022

I have been using Hetzner Cloud Ashburn for some of my production sites for a bit now, they've been great. Private networking and SSD block storage has also been very useful.

Now, I've had 100% uptime across all of my VM's until recently, when one of my VM's went down a few days ago. I believe the issue was with the host node, and it was resolved within 5-10 minutes. I got emails of when my VM went down and when the issue was resolved.

Overall performance has been pretty great. I moved most of my VM's from AWS Lightsail over to Hetzner Cloud, so the performance difference was basically night and day. I believe their standard Ashburn VPS lineup only has AMD EPYC.

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • Performance is great. I did have a server go down due to a node failure though it apparently only lasted 6 minutes according to the event email. Required no interaction from me and I didn't need to report it so that was nice.

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • @SirFoxy said:

Why not AWS?

• edited March 2022

@plumberg said:

@SirFoxy said:

Why not AWS?

Expensive, lightsail weak hardware, EC2 is complicated for simple VPS setup, charge for data transfer and volume storage.

• @Goodtesteronline said:

@plumberg said:

@SirFoxy said:

Why not AWS?

Expensive, lightsail weak hardware, EC2 is complicated for simple VPS setup, charge for data transfer and volume storage.

Data transfer is the reason.

I was spending like $60 on a 2GB 1 CPU VPS a couple years back for an AWS server.

Then they went down for like an entire day and took down every campus in the US.

Moved after that.

• I didn't have a good experience, The US node had disk corruption. Lost data