Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a VPS provider with good latency to Telus QC
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a VPS provider with good latency to Telus QC

I'm looking for a VPS with good latency to Telus QC. It's to GRE tunnel to my home lab so I'd need ~5 IPs. I'm using OVH rn and it had under 5ms but I'm fed up with their bs.
Vultr, DO, etc. don't peer with my ISP so latency is insanely high (over 30ms).
I don't mind the price as long as the latency is good enough.
Any suggestions?

Thanked by 1greentea

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Dvo (Limewave) maybe?

Thanked by 1greentea
  • @DP said:
    @Dvo (Limewave) maybe?

They're in BC so I doubt latency would be good.

Thanked by 1greentea

@paul20 said:

@DP said:
    @Dvo (Limewave) maybe?

They're in BC so I doubt latency would be good.

Check it out.

Test IP: 23.131.32.186
    Test File: http://speedtest.castlegar.bc.limewave.net/100MB.test

Thanked by 1greentea

There's also @freerangecloud with services in Halifax.

Test IP: 23.191.80.33

• Limewave 80ms & freerangecloud 30ms

Thanked by 1greentea

Oh well, not sure what else is out there for you, sorry.

But maybe @Neoon's ping tool can somehow help you though :smiley:

https://github.com/Ne00n/Multi-Ping

Thanked by 2o_be_one greentea
  • bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

There are some providers that use ovh servers but have better support if that’s the issue

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • @bruh21 said:
    There are some providers that use ovh servers but have better support if that’s the issue

Well I don't want a summer host

• servarica_haniservarica_hani Member, Patron Provider

check with us
    We are taking transit from Beanfield who directly peer with TELUS in QIX so i assume the connection would not be bad

Their looking glass only have Toronto or Edmonton and from Toronto we are getting 22ms not sure what we will get from QC (I assume less but I dont think we can reach 5ms)
    try here to see what you get
    https://ping.servarica.com/

• @servarica_hani said:
    check with us
    We are taking transit from Beanfield who directly peer with TELUS in QIX so i assume the connection would not be bad

Their looking glass only have Toronto or Edmonton and from Toronto we are getting 22ms not sure what we will get from QC (I assume less but I dont think we can reach 5ms)
    try here to see what you get
    https://ping.servarica.com/

35ms :neutral:

• You can try AWS Lightsail in Montreal.

Find Test IPs here: http://ec2-reachability.amazonaws.com/

Thanked by 1greentea
  • @ehhthing said:
    You can try AWS Lightsail in Montreal.

Find Test IPs here: http://ec2-reachability.amazonaws.com/

Lightsail does not allow more than 1 IP attached to instance and E3 unpredictable pricing otherwise I'd have switched to that.

• o_be_oneo_be_one Member
    edited March 2022

@paul20 said: Well I don't want a summer host

ExtraVM from @MikeA is far to be a summer host. Iirc they use OVH Bauharnois.
    I'm surprised ServaRICA can't provide better peering as their DC is in Montreal :(.

Good luck ^^

• @o_be_one said:

I'm surprised ServaRICA can't provide better peering as their DC is in Montreal :(.

Good luck ^^

I just asked ExtraVM and they replied they don't provide additional IPs nor allow tunneling.

• @paul20 said: Well I don't want a summer host

You can check https://www.lunanode.com/features/locations, They were active here long ago but not now.

• BreakaWDBreakaWD Member
    edited March 2022

Servarica?

• @BreakaWD said: Servarica?

hani?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@paul20 said:

@o_be_one said:

Good luck ^^

I just asked ExtraVM and they replied they don't provide additional IPs nor allow tunneling.

I will do this if it is for something like you mentioned in this post (homelab tunneling), but if you need an Australia server I only have lower bandwidth plans there. I normally, almost never give extra IPs, as people almost always use them for DDoS protection on external services, so ordering the absolute cheapest plan then getting tons of DDoS that affects overall reliability. If something works for you just reply back to the ticket so I know.

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • JeDaYoshiJeDaYoshi Member
    edited March 2022

@MikeA said:
    but if you need an Australia server I only have lower bandwidth plans there

They're asking for a provider with decent latency to Telus QC, which is based on Canada, so it'd guess it is for your Canadian VPSes.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@JeDaYoshi said:

@MikeA said:
    but if you need an Australia server I only have lower bandwidth plans there

They're asking for a provider with decent latency to Telus QC, which is based on Canada, so it'd guess it is for your Canadian VPSes.

Oh lol, for some reason I was thinking of Telstra. Thanks, in that case it's all unmetered.

• freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2022

Our Halifax location has direct peering to Telus via Eastlink, not the closest to Quebec but not terribly far (around 10ms). it's a more expensive location for us, but if you're interested I can cut some kind of deal. I believe the test IP was already posted, but you can use 23.191.80.1

Thanked by 1greentea
  • @freerangecloud said:
    Our Halifax location has direct peering to Telus via Eastlink, not the closest to Quebec but not terribly far (around 10ms). it's a more expensive location for us, but if you're interested I can cut some kind of deal. I believe the test IP was already posted, but you can use 23.191.80.1

I'm getting ~25ms

Thanked by 1greentea
  • @freerangecloud said:

Your Toronto location would be great though. ~10ms. I'll get in touch with you.

Thanked by 1greentea