Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Experimenting with DDoS protection
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Experimenting with DDoS protection

MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
edited December 2013 in Providers

Hello LET !

As many of you know, Prometeus is mainly serving big businesses and we were absolutely adamant with people being targeted by DDoS in the past with 24 hours null at first time and 7 days next, basically telling them to go.
This was necessary because our business network is very important for us and the customers.
We took steps to isolate the 2 circuits, but it is not entirely possible, so very large DDoSes on the small VPSes were, at times, affecting other customers for a short time before the null.
In all this time we thought how to protect better and now we are introducing DDoS filtering on selected sections of the infrastructure in partnership with SeFlow.

A short Q&A about this:

Q: Yupiee ! Now i can taunt the bastards that attacked my minecraft server, I will show them ! Right ?
A: Wrong. The protection will only apply to some sections, mainly Biz areas and IWStack. Most of them do not allow games and IRC. However, if you are only a very casual target this can work, but this is no bunker, we are doing it mainly for our protection.
Frequent targets and people in the DDoS game should look to our partners (www.seflow.it).

Q: How will it work ?
A: Basically it will be filtered traffic during the attack, the attack will not reach your server unless for very brief moments before the protection kicks in.

Q: How big the protection ?
A: As mentioned we do not intend to enter the DDoS industry, we only wish to offer a kind of insurance that, if you are not an ass and wish to pay a premium, we wont kick you.
Before the null, the attack can be as big as 14 gbps and 2.000.000 packets per second. Null will last for an hour, probably will randomize it around that interval.

Q: What kind of attacks are filtered ?
A: Basically this is filtered by asic chips that can be programmed, so it will be adapted. Right now the following attacks are filtered:
TCP SYN Flood
TCP SYN-ACK Reflection Flood (DRDoS)
HTTP(S) Flood Attacks
ICMP Echo Request Flood
TCP ACK Flood
TCP IP Attack
DNS Amplification Attacks
UDP Flood Attack

Q: How much will this cost ?
A: We are not going to compete in the DDoS industry, this is offered only to customers in good standing on some premium plans, mostly people that play fair and are still victims of the attacks. We do not aim to build bunkers in Milano/Cologno Monzese, but to protect ourselves, mostly.
That being said, for Biz plans and IWStack, this will cost some 9 Eur for buying it from the start.
In case of an existing service which was attacked without having the protection on, as an IP change will be needed and other maneuvers, we will charge a setup fee, this is an insurance, not a firefighting service. It might also not be immediate or not even possible for your existing service, so better get it from the start.

Q: When will it be available ?
A: Very soon maybe later today for selected Biz plans and this week for IWStack. OVerZold customers are also included in this first lot, but as I said, we do not intend to protect game servers in a DDoS match, it is merely to test it a bit before launch.

Q: Who can benefit from it ?
A: Only existing customers in good standing. We are doing this for our customers that were hurt in the past but didnt do anything wrong (that we know of...)

Comments

• Only existing customers? what about new customers.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2013

Well, we do not wish to offer DDoS refuge, only insurance.
    Say, someone hears Prometeus offers DDoS protection, will come here and then ask on Hackforums to attack him. It does not work this way, we offer this as a premium for our premium customers, at least for now, if the attacks are low we might reconsider.

• Nice works Uncle Sal @prometeus and @Maounique :)

Currently I have Xen Biz and iwStack, but glad that I didn't caused a trouble :)

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

kyaky said: Only existing customers? what about new customers.

It will be available on iwstack, thus will be accessible as an option for any client (old and new) of iwstack .

• How do I find out, if I'm a customer in good standing? I had one ddos in the time I had servers with prometeus (~1 year and 3 months), but I currently have no active services, you asked me to leave for a 400k pps attack back then, but I refused to leave, cause I wasn't a client, who got attacked on a daily basis.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

tr1cky said: How do I find out, if I'm a customer in good standing? I had one ddos in the time I had servers with prometeus (~1 year and 3 months), but I currently have no active services, you asked me to leave for a 400k pps attack back then, but I refused to leave, cause I wasn't a client, who got attacked on a daily basis.

Filtered IP are already available on the iwStack platform since today. If you have an OVerZold VPS I can give you a filtered IP. Please open a ticket to discuss details ;-)