Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostHatch Sydney down?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostHatch Sydney down?

My HostHatch VPS in Sydney has been down for a while today. The control panel says that it's stopped, and nothing happens when I try to start it up again. I opened a support ticket but I'm wondering if it's just me or if other people are seeing this too.

Comments

• nfnnfn Veteran

Mine is up

Thanked by 2JasonM ariq01
  • same i checked here. mine is also up. i rebooted it and it started.
    did you got any reply from support? i got late reply in past.

racknerd reviews

• mine went down around 9-10 hours ago but it's up now

• Mine is up, but maybe mine is in another node

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited March 2022

Thanks for confirming! Mine still can't start so I'll wait to get a reply on my ticket. I forgot to use the "emergency" checkbox when creating the ticket and don't see a way to set that after creating the ticket🤔

• They've screwed up something in the routers and MTU detection isn't working. That's why it is pinging OK for some people. Set the MTU manually and you should be right.

edited March 2022

@tetech said:
    They've screwed up something in the routers and MTU detection isn't working. That's why it is pinging OK for some people. Set the MTU manually and you should be right.

I literally can't even boot my VPS. Clicking the start button says that it was successfully booted, but the control panel still shows it as "stopped".

• @Daniel15 said:

@tetech said:
    They've screwed up something in the routers and MTU detection isn't working. That's why it is pinging OK for some people. Set the MTU manually and you should be right.

I literally can't even boot my VPS. Clicking the start button says that it was successfully booted, but the control panel still shows it as "stopped".

Yeah OK that's different. Mine was just network.

edited March 2022

Turns out there was an ISO mounted that completely prevented it from even booting. Not sure how that happens, and I didn't even see it in their control panel to unmount (maybe a deleted ISO?). They unmounted it on their end and now it boots again.
    /thread

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

I've only noticed that IPv6 stopped working. When I opened a ticket, their first response was:

We do not provide IPv6 connectivity in Sydney at the moment.

I told them that they did provide IPv6 until an hour ago and got:

As mentioned in that announcement, we do not support IPv6 in Sydney.

If we do support it again at any time in the future, we will inform you so you can plan your server's usage accordingly.

Roughly at the same time IPv6 connectivity was restored. 🤷

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @brueggus said:
    I've only noticed that IPv6 stopped working. When I opened a ticket, their first response was:

We do not provide IPv6 connectivity in Sydney at the moment.

I told them that they did provide IPv6 until an hour ago and got:

As mentioned in that announcement, we do not support IPv6 in Sydney.

If we do support it again at any time in the future, we will inform you so you can plan your server's usage accordingly.

Roughly at the same time IPv6 connectivity was restored. 🤷

Somewhere I saw they'd officially drop ipv6 in Sydney although I also have ipv6 in Sydney.

• digitalwickeddigitalwicked Member
    edited March 2022

@Daniel15 said:
    Turns out there was an ISO mounted that completely prevented it from even booting. Not sure how that happens, and I didn't even see it in their control panel to unmount (maybe a deleted ISO?). They unmounted it on their end and now it boots again.
    /thread

I had the same issue today. Network was all over the place so changed the MTU to 1400. Later in the day (8:30pm AEST) I lost full connectivity. Couldnt use console to connect through the portal either. Raised a ticket and was told that due to a iso/CDROM being boot that it was preventing startup. Very strange.

• hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Arirang said: Somewhere I saw they'd officially drop ipv6

Correct, this happened about 7-8 months ago and everyone affected was notified.

That has not changed and we do not support IPv6 in Sydney.

edited March 2022

@digitalwicked said: Raised a ticket and was told that due to a iso/CDROM being boot that it was preventing startup. Very strange.

Really weird that a mounted ISO can completely prevent the system from booting (at least that's what I saw in my case).

@hosthatch said: Correct, this happened about 7-8 months ago and everyone affected was notified.

That has not changed and we do not support IPv6 in Sydney.

I thought you were going to switch to a new network provider in Sydney to fix the issues with the network?

I do have another VPS in Sydney with another provider that has stable IPv6, so I already moved most of my apps that require IPv6 off the HostHatch VPS onto that one instead. I guess I could do some sort of tunnel from the other VPS to get more reliable IPv6 connectivity on the HostHatch VPS? I'm already at the limit of 5 tunnels in tunnelbroker.

• @Arirang said: Somewhere I saw they'd officially drop ipv6 in Sydney

Email dated 26th July 2021:

Hello!

You are receiving this email because you currently have an active IPv6 /64 range with us in Sydney.

We are sorry to inform you that we will be withdrawing active support for IPv6 in Sydney for the time being, as we go forward.

At the moment, less than 3% of our active VMs in Sydney have IPv6 assigned, and even a smaller number of users who actively use it.

In the last two months, we've dealt with several network-related issues with our network provider (and their upstreams) in Sydney, and with problems ranging from complete IPv6 outages to 50-60% global BGP visibility, we have decided that it is best if we do not continue to continue to provide a half-broken IPv6 service.

Your IPv6 range will remain there, however, please note that it will likely continue to have issues for the near future and we recommend that you remove it completely. We recommend using a tunnel service (such as https://tunnelbroker.net/) for more reliable IPv6 connectivity. If you would like for us to completely remove IPv6 from your VMs, please let us know.

Any newly created VMs in Sydney will not have native IPv6 support. This policy will likely remain until the end of this year, once we can make sure we can provide reliable IPv6 connectivity in this location.

In case you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. We do apologize for the inconvenience this change will cause you.

Kindest Regards,
    Your HostHatch team

• hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Daniel15 said:

@digitalwicked said: Raised a ticket and was told that due to a iso/CDROM being boot that it was preventing startup. Very strange.

Really weird that a mounted ISO can completely prevent the system from booting (at least that's what I saw in my case).

This is a known SolusVM issue in case of an unexpected reboot. VMs with mounted ISOs do not come up.

In the new control panel, this is fixed by design. There is no "boot order". If you mount an ISO, the server is booted from it automatically. And you have to remove the mount to boot back into the hard disk. So this problem cannot happen. Some other providers do it this way as well (I believe Hetzner for example).

@Daniel15 said: I thought you were going to switch to a new network provider in Sydney to fix the issues with the network?

We have nearly moved already (it's been slowly ongoing since early this year) and stable IPv6 will be fully available soon for everyone. I believe your VM is already on the new network (in case you want to run new benchmarks).

I was just pointing out that at this time and since the past July, we do not support IPv6 in Sydney for the people who received the email you copied in your comment.

• @hosthatch said: This is a known SolusVM issue in case of an unexpected reboot. VMs with mounted ISOs do not come up.

Ahhh TIL. Of course it's a SolusVM problem, I should have guessed. What does SolusVM actually do properly?? haha

@hosthatch said: We have nearly moved already (it's been slowly ongoing since early this year) and stable IPv6 will be fully available soon for everyone. I believe your VM is already on the new network (in case you want to run new benchmarks).

Thanks for the info! So IPv6 should be stable for me? That's really good to know; I can move some stuff back onto this VPS :smiley:

How can I tell if it's on the new network?

• digitalwickeddigitalwicked Member
    edited March 2022

@Daniel15 said:

How can I tell if it's on the new network?

I just re-ran traceroutes to various servers globally and no more Telstra Global but now using Cogentco. It does seem far more stable to local traffic and routes to cloudflare and google which is great! On a couple of routes to US/CA, the latency is approx 20ms higher haven't checked throughput though.