Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interests in Home Hosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Interests in Home Hosting?

sodinnersodinner Member
edited March 2022 in General

Hello all,
I am a very passionate growing sysadmin, that is interesting in servers and hosting in general.
Starting with my homelab I had a dying HP G5 Server, which had CPUs that had hard time even running a simple vanilla minecraft server :D
It's about some years now from there, I have a G7 Server (two bottom ones), that meets absolute my requirements. I use them for my homelab, nextcloud, exchange mail server and other projects for friends and fam.
And recently I bought some really nice G8 Servers (G8 up to G10 are pretty similar).
These are the top 4 ones. They have total of 1024GB RAM and two of these Servers have top of the line processors for this socket (2* 12c / 24t = 48t at 2.7GHz).
Now I have a bunch of those servers at my home. The Image that you see, is a bit old.
With the time going, I took the backup NAS into other floor, bought some UPS for the servers.
As I am an Germany and they have really bad Internet offers, I got a Gigabit Down but only about 50 Mbit Upload speed.
And my question now is, if there is a general interests in a "home hosting"?

Yes, I know that with colocation it would be much easier and I am on my way to find some partner for this. But the options that I saw online, were from 100+€ for ONE 2U Server, that's ridiculous! Or the bandwidth was just limited to 1-4TB (and the price was still very expensive).
I am on my search for a good colocation in Germany, but it will take some time.

But for home use, theoretical I could offer some 32GB VPS for 10 bucks or something like that, extremelly cheap. Do some GRE tunnel so the client have a dedicated IPv4 and the only disadvantage would be in the upload speed.

Is there any options that I could start with home hosting instead of colocation?
Maybe offer some webhosting or minecraft hosting etc?
I really dream about starting with hosting for months now and can't wait for it.

Thanks for every answer ^^

Thanked by 1Chuck
Home Hosting?
  1. What to do?52 votes
    1. Yes, try hosting at home.
      44.23%
    2. No, wait for colocation.
      55.77%

Comments

• henixhenix Member

No, DO NOT do this, ever.

You would be better off just cpu or storage mining at this point.

Thanked by 1devp
  • @henix said:

Nah, the electricity costs in Germany is expensive either. I would pay 40-60€ a month for each of the servers running 24/7.
    So I need some income, to run these servers at all.

Thanked by 1devp
  • 30033003 Member

Just put them on ebay. I did home hosting with free internet and power for 6 years. Just dont do it.

Thanked by 1devp
  • @3003 said:
    Just put them on ebay. I did home hosting with free internet and power for 6 years. Just dont do it.

Your opinion is okay, but why? You did it for long time, so it was good to do so 6 years, right?

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2022

Home hosting is fine if you are doing it for yourself and it's nothing critical. I've hosted quite a bit of my own stuff from home for well over a decade.

My ISP lends itself quite well to this task, I have a small block of IPs and a big enough pipe that it's not a huge burden to me. (And, for a while - my "home" browsing has been done on the free connection that comes with my TV package, so actually no burden to my day to day life).

If you are hosting a few friends that you know very well and they know exactly what to expect - i.e. - you can throw your lil' minecraft server on this and nobody will complain but it might die any time.

Don't offer anything to the general market in your home though, even if you provide a solid disclaimer - when something goes tits up, you'll have a lot of whining kids (and the only people silly enough to buy something hosted in someones spare room are either kids or idiots).

Thanked by 1tetech
  • ehabehab Member

if its a home host then i only host with @yoursunny's PI's
    coz every where else rent is

• LeviLevi Member

Go, just go. Pump in the cash, burn electricity and just do it. Woohoo. Post all updates here. Yes!

Thanked by 1devp
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Do it. Show the world that they are fucking wrong.

Go for it. Be a man. Listen to no one. Real men never regret even when they are going down in literal flames.

• 30033003 Member

@sodinner said:

@3003 said:

Your opinion is okay, but why? You did it for long time, so it was good to do so 6 years, right?

The only reason i could really do it, is GRE tunnels to other providers, for ddos protection.
    A simple home connection is null-routed within minutes with a €5 booter. That is the main issue.

Also, a personal home connection usually have limitations. A business connection, who you need to not break your isps tos, is often very expensive if you need any speed at all.

For your personal blog, nextcloud and things like that, sure go for it. But in the end, it is not worth it for selling any services and making any money.

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

Sure until someone hosts cp or terrorist stuff and then you get raided

• mirocmiroc Member

its really not safe for you

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2022

@sodinner said:

@henix said:

Nah, the electricity costs in Germany is expensive either. I would pay 40-60€ a month for each of the servers running 24/7.
    So I need some income, to run these servers at all.

Plenty of colo options available not much more than you'd be paying in power. We have used Core-Backbone for years.

https://www.core-backbone.com/en/housing-2-he

There's so many reasons not to do this from home:

• if a customer hosts a tor exit node, you'll probably get raided and both your personal and business hardware seized
    • if someone attacks a customer, your ISP will probably cut you off
    • you probably don't have AC? Fine right now, but the warmest day of summer? Maybe not
    • no redundant power?
    • single link from your ISP?
    • your ISP may have conditions about not using for business purposes

And this is just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. There's many more reasons not to sell hosting from your home.

Thanked by 1devp
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Do not listen to naysayers. They are just jealous that they didn't get to do it in their youth.

Go for it.

Thanked by 3devp chenxuhua Chuck
  • ChuckChuck Member

@sodinner Do Not tell this to Environmental activists. Otherwise they would make your life a living hell.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

If you have IPv6 it might work.

Thanked by 1chenxuhua
  • jrheilandjrheiland Member
    edited March 2022

I'd say do it! I have a few homelab servers at home myself.

I'd suggest contacting some business isps and see if you can get any better quotes.

It also may be worth asking this in the subreddit dedicated to this r/homelab

But I advise against hosting anything commercially at home. It's a dumpster fire waiting to happen

Thanked by 1Chuck