Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Namecheap takes a (bit) U-turn! Offers free web hosting services to Russian dissidents
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Namecheap takes a (bit) U-turn! Offers free web hosting services to Russian dissidents

JasonMJasonM Member
edited March 2022 in General

After banning Russians altogether from using Namecheap's platform (web hosting, email, server, domain names) it now seems Namecheap has taken a bit of U-turn.

According to Namecheap: Namecheap will offer “free anonymous domain registration and free web hosting” to anti-war protest web sites based in Russia or Belarus.

The registrar said in a statement today that the move is in response to imprisoned Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny’s call for war protests in Russia.

“Our hope is that by offering these services in an anonymous way, with no strings attached, that people within Russia that are currently under threat to not speak up against this war are able to organize and do so in a way that may minimize reprisals.”

The offer modifies the company’s hard-line position from earlier in the week, in which it banned Russians altogether from its services and gave registrants there a week to get out.

Source: https://www.techradar.com/news/namecheap-offers-free-web-hosting-and-domain-registration-to-russian-anti-war-websites

Good move or bad move what say?

Also big statement came from ICANN: “ICANN has been built to ensure that the Internet works, not for its coordination role to be used to stop it from working.” This was ICANN's response to Ukraine, which earlier this week asked for Russia to lose its top-level domains and IP addresses, to help prevent propaganda supporting its invasion of the country.

====
name-cheap web-hosting

Thanked by 1hostdare

Comments

• KermEdKermEd Member
    edited March 2022

I'd say this topic was already talked about to death in the past.

When they tweeted the initial statement, people complained (for this reason), and namecheap announced on twitter within hours that they they would make this change.

It is neither a U-turn nor is it news imo.

• All dissidents already on LET :smiley:

I don't know who banned who but my account still active.

• I dont see any U turn, maybe... maybe a wheelie 360

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@vovler said:
    I dont see any U turn, maybe... maybe a wheelie 360

The image that popped into my mind is very fitting for the situation.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2022

Namecheap is misselling the domain names as they are not cheap, so any reason why need to buy a service from them? in past they were great probably they had US sales/tech support! Their business is not unique and plenty of alternative companies do have the same service and better prices.

Thanked by 2hostdare JasonM