Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner seasons special
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner seasons special

RichRich Member
edited March 2022 in Providers

Fyi Hetzner is offering "seasons special"

We want to help you grow this spring. You can now get a Hetzner dedicated root server with an AMD Ryzen™ CPU and skip the setup fees.

https://www.hetzner.com/special

Comments

• sounds good. unfortunely i would have bought it the only reason this is putting me back is ddos protection otherwise this is a good deal.

• "help you grow this spring" seems like marketing speak. I think this is some "war special" deal after losing several russian customers due to sanctions.

Thanked by 3fLoo lentro Alireza
  • then increase your monthly cost by 22% citing "increased electricity cost"

afaik they don't offer long term contract option.

Thanked by 2fLoo Talistech
  • In addition, we have decided to make you a short-term offer to switch from your affected Server Auction model to one of the servers from our AX or EX lines. You can read more about this offer at the end of this email.

I read it as: auction servers are not profitable better disincentivize people using them, might as well upsell to our "actual" products.

• wr3ckwr3ck Member
    edited March 2022

Tempting, but with the power cost situation in europe, not sure price stays that way + bad peering compared to competitors

Thanked by 2sgno1 Alireza
  • Yesterday i bought AX101 on this Special. Hope prices will not increase.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • fLoofLoo Member

@zllovesuki said:
    then increase your monthly cost by 22% citing "increased electricity cost"

afaik they don't offer long term contract option.

^ This. During the last year pricing increased quadruple times. Absurd IPv4 price increase, electricity, IP setup costs. Hetzner as of now is not a good choice for long term plans.

Thanked by 1Talistech
  • HxxxHxxx Member

@fLoo you mean like for super low end customers. But not every customer is a lowend seeker. Hetzner is very much oriented toward middle and high end customers. Sometimes is good to not have too many lowned customers, usually the cheaper it is the more it gets abused

• zllovesukizllovesuki Member
    edited March 2022

@Hxxx said:
    @fLoo you mean like for super low end customers. But not every customer is a lowend seeker. Hetzner is very much oriented toward middle and high end customers. Sometimes is good to not have too many lowned customers, usually the cheaper it is the more it gets abused

Not necessarily "low-end." You can't have redundancy with just 1 machine. Having 11 cheap boxes ($30/m * 11) in HA + LB, is more cost effective than one big box ($300/m), and it will get more expensive if you have 11 expensive boxes.

Hetzner raising the cost by 22% effectively nuked my cost calculation. Instead of paying $330/m for virtually 100% uptime infrastructure, I'm now paying $402/m, on top of more expensive IPv4, with 0 additional benefits. Moving to their AX or EX lines do not change the fact that I'm now paying more for no additional benefits.

This calculation gets more expensive when you have multi-region deployment. I'm already paying $400 for transit (with practically free colocation as a side benefit) in the west coast, and it was a contract with the provider (so even if California raised the electricity price by 100% overnight, I don't get bent).

I'm pretty much a middle/high end customer if you look at the total spend for a given provider, but I get lots of "low end" servers because again, you can't have redundancy with just 1 box.

Thanked by 1Alireza