Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think I'm done with low end providers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I think I'm done with low end providers

I have used mostly Hetzner for many years (and a little UpCloud and DigitalOcean, but mostly Hetzner), and I have never had any outage with them of any kind. Actually maybe once there were some speed issues with the network due to a temporary maintenance but not a big deal.

Over the years I have tried other, cheaper providers often out of curiosity to see if I could find something good enough that could help me save some cash. Every single time I went back to Hetzner due to technical issues.

I had promised myself not to bother anymore.... until I saw a pretty good offer here recently, so I migrated some stuff because I am trying to cut costs - and in the process I got rid of several servers. First impressions were great, as well as the performance overall.

Now I'm 9 days in, and already got the first multi hour outage due to issues with the physical node.....

I know, node issues can happen anywhere..... but it doesn't look promising after just a few days. :(

Now I'll see if it gets resolved in a reasonable amount of time and then will see if I want to migrate back to Hetzner or stay and see if I have issues soon again.

Looks like I am not particularly lucky with low end providers :(

Thanked by 2Hetzner_OL varwww

Comments

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

I want to be outraged on your behalf so please name the provider

Thanked by 1hannes
  • @bruh21 said:

No point naming the provider since again, I know it can happen to any of them. I am just lucky with Hetzner only lol

@vitobotta said:

@bruh21 said:

No point naming the provider since again, I know it can happen to any of them. I am just lucky with Hetzner only lol

I suppose it can but their response will really say it all. Is the system still down?

• @bruh21 said:

@vitobotta said:

@bruh21 said:

I suppose it can but their response will really say it all. Is the system still down?

It is

• I should have posted earlier :D It just came back after 3 hours

@vitobotta said:

@bruh21 said:

@vitobotta said:

@bruh21 said:

It is

If it’s already been a few hours with no fix then I would be concerned. I’m assuming you had a VPS with this provider?

• verovero Member, Host Rep

You've mentioned Hetzner 5 times already :) It is very good provider indeed. But since you're posting on this forum about low end providers - you seek to be encouraged to use them anyway or you want the prove there's nothing better than Hetzner?

• @bruh21 said:

@vitobotta said:

@bruh21 said:

@vitobotta said:

@bruh21 said:

It is

If it’s already been a few hours with no fix then I would be concerned. I’m assuming you had a VPS with this provider?

Yeah, it seems to be back up now

@vero said:
    You've mentioned Hetzner 5 times already :) It is very good provider indeed. But since you're posting on this forum about low end providers - you seek to be encouraged to use them anyway or you want the prove there's nothing better than Hetzner?

LOL I dunno myself :D I am trying to cut costs so I was looking to try something cheaper because of that. I've had some big emergency expenses and now literally every little helps

• ErisaErisa Member

Not all "low end" providers are the same. Some providers represented on this forum are extremely high quality and others are extremely low quality.

Without naming the provider I find your post hard to relate to, and it doesn't tell me anything really.

@vitobotta said:

@bruh21 said:

@vitobotta said:

@bruh21 said:

@vitobotta said:

@bruh21 said:

It is

@vero said:

LOL I dunno myself :D I am trying to cut costs so I was looking to try something cheaper because of that. I've had some big emergency expenses and now literally every little helps

Well I don’t know which provider it is but I’ve had some good and bad apples. If you’re looking for uptime with VPS I’ve had good experiences with VPSSLIM and fastpipe.io but the performance has been weaker

I know @MikeA has some good performance deals from time to time but obviously I can’t speak to your requirements

• @bruh21 said:

@vitobotta said:

@bruh21 said:

@vitobotta said:

@bruh21 said:

@vitobotta said:

@bruh21 said:

It is

@vero said:

Well I don’t know which provider it is but I’ve had some good and bad apples. If you’re looking for uptime with VPS I’ve had good experiences with VPSSLIM and fastpipe.io but the performance has been weaker

I know @MikeA has some good performance deals from time to time but obviously I can’t speak to your requirements

Both those providers seem more expensive than Hetzner Cloud.

@vitobotta said:

@bruh21 said:

@vitobotta said:

@bruh21 said:

@vitobotta said:

@bruh21 said:

@vitobotta said:

@bruh21 said:

It is

@vero said:

Oh for sure. You just have to wait for deals to come out from time to time

• TeoMTeoM Member

I use @LiteServer and my vps has an uptime over 2 years!

I never had issues with them and the server is stable as fuck.

@hosthatch is stable as well uptime now 1 year since my buy from bf.

Thanked by 1LiteServer

@TeoM said:

Yeah, liteserver works nice. Haven’t ever had a chance for hosthatch but heard good things (except ipv6)

Thanked by 1LiteServer
  • mirocmiroc Member

I can totally see your point. Personally, I'm much better off using AWS / DigitalOcean than any providers here. The deals may be cheap, but ultimately it costs more money and time to constantly keep migrating between providers because of non-functional / poor at best service than just paying a higher fee for a more established provider.

• @TeoM said:

These two are more expensive than Hetzner. :)

• cpsdcpsd Member

Anyway hetzner has a promo right now for their AX line without setup fee.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • TeoMTeoM Member

@vitobotta said:

@TeoM said:

Yes normally, but with some promos here on Lowendtalk you get very good price for example I have an 100GB Storage VM from Liteserver for 12 Euros per Year.

What is your use case anyways

• @cpsd said:
    Anyway hetzner has a promo right now for their AX line without setup fee.

I saw them. Those servers are awesome, I used them for a little while last time they had the same offer but they were overkill and expensive for my needs.

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2022

@vitobotta said:

@TeoM said:

Pay peanuts get...

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@vitobotta said:

Tell me what you need

• neon_orangeneon_orange Member
    edited March 2022

@LiteServer said:

@vitobotta said:

@TeoM said:

Pay peanuts get... (peanuts)

Hetzner's vps charges are also as costly as peanuts. That's what is OP probably saying. I mean I want to support newer and smaller hosting companies. But, (3-4+ hours) outages are unacceptable in 2022 even for smaller hosts. The tech is there for 100% uptime.
    No company is profitable straight up. Got to make the brand before making profit. This is probably what many hosts forget. Hosting is not a get rich quick scheme. It takes years to make a brand.

Thanked by 3vero MikeA lanefu
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

OP buys Mzungu Hosting and expects high uptime.
    The end is nigh.

• KermEdKermEd Member
    edited March 2022

@vitobotta said:
    I have used mostly Hetzner for many years (and a little UpCloud and DigitalOcean, but mostly Hetzner), and I have never had any outage with them of any kind. Actually maybe once there were some speed issues with the network due to a temporary maintenance but not a big deal.

Over the years I have tried other, cheaper providers often out of curiosity to see if I could find something good enough that could help me save some cash. Every single time I went back to Hetzner due to technical issues.

I had promised myself not to bother anymore.... until I saw a pretty good offer here recently, so I migrated some stuff because I am trying to cut costs - and in the process I got rid of several servers. First impressions were great, as well as the performance overall.

Now I'm 9 days in, and already got the first multi hour outage due to issues with the physical node.....

I know, node issues can happen anywhere..... but it doesn't look promising after just a few days. :(

Now I'll see if it gets resolved in a reasonable amount of time and then will see if I want to migrate back to Hetzner or stay and see if I have issues soon again.

Looks like I am not particularly lucky with low end providers :(

It depends, I don't put anything on a LET server that needs uptime. But that said, I have had several hosts on here do amazingly well.

Hostodo, I've had servers with them for almost a decade, and only had one hiccup that they fixed very quickly.

Virmach I am very happy with.

There are providers on here I consider sketchy and avoid at all costs (including some of those being favorited because of colo making money off them). But it's odd because I've had so few outages. Maybe it's luck. Anyway, I don't use LET for anything even slightly important - but if I was I could see that being frustrating. There are other risks with LET as well.

I wouldn't put things directly on Hetzner.

I'm getting an error 502 with Hetzner.com right now anyway :D

• I try to not have critical production on low end providers as, even if they do their best and promise the best, most of them may encounter any kind of issue at anytime. On the side what i do for something i wish to see the most possible online while i want best prices is to have multiple VPS from multiple providers and try to work in a cluster way where i can loose a VPS without any trouble.

Also there is some well known providers here where you can get amazing cheap prices during different events like Black Friday, Valentin's day, company birthday, LET birthday, etc.

@neon_orange said: The tech is there for 100% uptime.

Where? I really like unicorns and i wish to see one for real, or even own one.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited March 2022

I'm not reading the rest of the thread but rather just sticking to your original post.

I'm the same way. I'm not incentivized to try other hosts as I'm already comfortable with my current hosts. I can afford to pay AWS/Azure/GCP/DO/Vultr/Linode. I don't find any value in a 3.50/year 2GB RAM VPS from Boomer because I know it just doesn't make much sense for me to pay them only to get a tiny sliver. I don't see the point in buying into the Racknerd hype as it's on the same path as what CVPS used to do with their BS.

I know who I like and I know who is reliable enough for me. I've already established business relationships with them. It's not worth it for me to try and shave off a buck or two here and there to get burned and have to move it all around. I'm willing to pay the providers I know a bit more and get a reliable product where I don't need to worry about "omg they just turned off their hardware" or "so and so just DDoSed them".

I know one thing's for sure. I don't buy any hosts that advertise in the sidebar through BuySellAds.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Not again, please no.

Cheap does not equal shit neither does if you pay more, you get good service.
    You can get unlucky yes of course, sometimes there is a big warning sign and you ignore it.

That can happen with any provider, does not matter what you pay, duh.
    And then again, you put your application on a cheap vps, without redundancy, and can't take a few hours of downtime?

If you want a certain availability, you have to design your setup, that way it can mitigate failures to an extend.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @vitobotta said: These two are more expensive than Hetzner.

Next deal from Premium @LiteServer will be propably for Easter . It will be cheaper then Hetzner.

• @o_be_one said:

@neon_orange said: The tech is there for 100% uptime.

Where? I really like unicorns and i wish to see one for real, or even own one.

Wow. "Site Reliability Engineer" asking this question huh. lol.
    Ever heard of RAID/Backup Power Supply/Backup Network ISPs/Regular backups, etc? Most of the virtualization software out there are plug and play and almost never have issues, if you've set it up right. Many hosts forget that reliability is as critical as pricing.

And Yes. I stand by my statement that if a small host is careful and competent enough, 100% uptime is more than achievable. As suggested by many here, there are many small hosts that do provide it.