Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To all online.net customers: remember to cancel your account before 20th
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

To all online.net customers: remember to cancel your account before 20th

As the title says, apparently Online.Net has this line in their TOS that stated that if you want to cancel your service you have to cancel before 20th, else they will charge you for another month. I had a two server with them, cancelled one and kept the other but because I didn't cancelled early enough, I was charged for another month without able to use the server.

Don't really want to sounds like I am complaining all the time but this might be something people should know when they are cancelling dedicated servers. Most of the VPS providers will let you know off the hook even if you cancel on the last day, not for dedi providers I guess.

Comments

• Anyone who uses them should have read their ToS, also cancelled the PayPal agreement which lets them take money out of your account whenever they want.

• @zhuanyi said:
    I was charged for another month without able to use the server.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but seems kinda silly for them to charge you an extra month of service for a server you cant use? if they charged you an extra month should you not be able to use it till months end?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2013

It's about when you request the cancelation I believe. Reasonable request that you cancel ahead of time I think.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@jarland said:
    It's about when you request the cancelation I believe. Reasonable request that you cancel ahead of time I think.

Okay but then also provide the server to the end.

• Kinda sounds more like he just doesn't have a use for a server that has a one month lifespan.

• @Maounique said:

They do provide.

• @Maounique said:

They do.

• I had the same thing a few days ago, charged me €9.99 while the server was terminated/offline -.-'

Opened a ticket with them (they were very rude, told me that it was NOT their problem and they closed my account), ended up with a PayPal dispute and got my money back

• You're all referring to prorata refunds. It seems like online.net don't do them. As most (if not all) hosts now charge for the month in advance, some may give you a prorata refund if you cancel part way in the billing month.

They're not obliged to though. If you pay for a consumable product or service and then decide you don't want it, they don't have to refund any of it.

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited December 2013

OkieDoke said: You're all referring to prorata refunds

No i'm not, cancelled the server, server = offline/terminated, they charge me €9.99 for this month

• Asking online.net regarding cancellation was frustrating.. it took multiple emails from me which probably took days, just to confirm that if I click the cancel button prior to the 20'th that I will still be able to use the service till the end of the month.

• Yeah. To be honest they don't really care about foreigners. They're sloppy with their English and copy/paste their replies.

You get what you pay for :)

• @joodle said:
    No i'm not, cancelled the server, server = offline/terminated, they charge me €9.99 for this month

Apologies joodle, I misread your post. I understand now they charged you AFTER you cancelled.

However, the original post by @zhuanyi still implies that they cancelled after a predefined billing date.

• If I cancel the paypal agreement?? they wont be able to charge me right?

• @psycholyzern said:
    If I cancel the paypal agreement?? they wont be able to charge me right?

Correct, but that will lead to all your services being instantly canceled I believe.

• emgemg Veteran

In the one case where I cancelled a VPS, the provider required 30 days advance notice in their ToS (which I read carefully before signing up, but that's a different thread).

I gave the required 30 days notice, but included a statement in the ticket that I wanted the VPS to remain operational for the full period to the very end of the paid-up term.

Be careful how you write your cancellation notice - some providers will cancel your server immediately unless you specifically state otherwise.

• @DigitalDuke said:

oh.. but not a problem to me bacause I only have 1 dedi with them :)

• earl said: if they charged you an extra month should you not be able to use it till months end?

I was told it was online on the second reply from them, however I couldn't ping it through, just fired another reply to the ticket but it will take them 24 hours to respond (which I am fine with it since I don't need it anyways).

edited December 2013

Just lol'ed, got an email from support

Bonjour,

Your server will terminate to the end of month (no refund).

Cordialement,
    -- 
    Vincent R.

Quite funny it is, because the server was already 'terminated' about 1.5 week ago

Got my money back via PayPal anyway :P

• tchen said: Kinda sounds more like he just doesn't have a use for a server that has a one month lifespan.

I don't, but at least I hope they could give me what I paid for...let's hope it was just my server happened to have some issue and I couldn't ping it through.

• @joodle said:
    Just lol'ed, got an email from support

> Bonjour,
    > 
    > Your server will terminate to the end of month (no refund).
    > 
    > Cordialement,
    > -- 
    > Vincent R.
    > 

Quite funny it is, because the server was already 'terminated' about 1.5 week ago

Got my money back via PayPal anyway :P

May be I should do the same....did you just sent in a paypal dispute?

edited December 2013

zhuanyi said: May be I should do the same....did you just sent in a paypal dispute?

Unauthorized dispute thingy worked for me, got my money back within 24 hours

• @zhuanyi said:
    I don't, but at least I hope they could give me what I paid for...let's hope it was just my server happened to have some issue and I couldn't ping it through.

Understood and my apologies for misunderstanding. I hope you get it sorted out.

• As the title says, apparently Online.Net has this line in their TOS that stated that if you want to cancel your service you have to cancel before 20th, else they will charge you for another month.

This would never happen at OVH. OVH is the best.

Most of the VPS providers will let you know off the hook even if you cancel on the last day, not for dedi providers I guess

That's because the majority of dedicated servers are rented by businesses and they tend to keep their servers for a while. They don't play the same "try for a month, jump to the next deal" game that many VPS users play, and when a business cancels a server it is usually planned well in advance so most businesses wouldn't have a problem canceling before the cutoff date.

• DennisdeWitDennisdeWit Member
    edited December 2013

@CastleServers said:
    Yeah. To be honest they don't really care about foreigners. They're sloppy with their English and copy/paste their replies.

You get what you pay for :)

That's B/S. I know enough Dutch providers that speak English perfectly.

• @DennisdeWit said:

Exactly! It's actually funny that people buy in foreign countries and expect that those people do fluently write in English.

• @DennisdeWit said:

I'm talking about just one provider here. I've used quite a few non-English providers with no problems whatsoever. I never applied it across the board :)

• @CastleServers said:
    I'm talking about just one provider here. I've used quite a few non-English providers with no problems whatsoever. I never applied it across the board :)

Online is typical French. And so they respond. I acknowledge that if you file a ticket with Online, it is just like a toddler responded on it.

Thanked by 1srvrpro
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

I should note that I'm pretty sure that French law (like most EU law) mandates that, if there is a cancellation term, they also provide the service until the end of the cancellation term. If they bill you for another month, you should get another month... and they would not be allowed to terminate the server before that month is up (save for 'processing time').