Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you guys think cloudflare will expand into the hosting market?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you guys think cloudflare will expand into the hosting market?

Now that cloudflare provides everything else aside from the traditional servers, do you guys think they are planning to enter this market or they will just stick to current serverless options.

Thanked by 1debian_dave

Comments

• serverless

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • it is already

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2022

Idk. With GDPR banning fonts hosted on a CDN, Cloudflare sure as hell isn't allowed in Europe and won't expand there. In other regions, maybe

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

IF they were to do it, I doubt it'd be regular KVM slices where you choose pre-set plans. Likely something that more directly competes with AWS.

They already sell domains and obviously would have a giant leg up on marketing as they could simply reach out to the users and customers of their existing service(s) to let them know that they're now offering some form of hosting.

But, I hope they just keep doing what they're doing.

• Maybe it's already started.

• Most likely yes, they are already jumped into managing domains.

• I believe they will never offer traditional server. They already offer some "server less" stuffs, they will improve them & make more flexible. It's already possible to make a full website around cloudflare offering but they lack on database side. Maybe they come up with some relational db offering?

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Agreed, as @MannDude said, would be more like AWS or something similar. Chances of offering traditional hosting is slim.

• no doubt, it's only a matter of time.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I recall the same question several years ago.

Seen tens of the same questions ever since.

• 0xbkt0xbkt Member
    edited February 2022

Maybe containers and serverless DB with ACID features. Assuming Cloudflare deploys commodity hardware in the network edge, I believe it's only going to be possible in the Tier I DCs in the network.

• @ezeth said: With GDPR banning fonts hosted on a CDN, Cloudflare sure as hell isn't allowed in Europe

Not sure this is 100% accurate

The issue was that the CDN was based outside of the EU - this means if cloudflare route all requests within the EU via EU hosted servers it should be fine, and EU businesses need to add that they use cloudflare to their privacy policy of course

• When they announced Cloudflare R2, their S3 compatible storage, they mentioned they would like to become a cloud player and compete with AWS.

They teased in the past the concept of "Containers on the edge" whereby you can run Docker-based applications on their infrastructure, similar to competing app services from AWS, GCP, Azure.

I do not believe they will ever make bog standard VM hosting, but this managed app style is definitely something they are going for. Their latest goal is to make it possible to run your entire application on Cloudflare, and they are well on their way to accomplishing that for a lot of applications.

Thanked by 1Saahib
  • I'm pretty sure they are going to compete with GCP/AWS/Azure in the next few years at least for the most important services, and definitely compute instances etc.

• @Erisa said: When they announced Cloudflare R2, their S3 compatible storage,

Does that product exist yet? Announced 5 months ago and still not available as a regular product it seems.

• @cmeerw said:

@Erisa said: When they announced Cloudflare R2, their S3 compatible storage,

Does that product exist yet? Announced 5 months ago and still not available as a regular product it seems.

It's in private beta right now, avaiilable to Enterprises that request it and need it.

According to a cryptic yet readable Tweet, its wider/open beta is planned for sometime in Q2 of this year and the general availabiliity is planned for sometime in H2 of this year.

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • I received a mail few days ago. Here it is.

Dear Customer,

We have some exciting news to share!

Today we are announcing an agreement to acquire Area 1 Security, a cloud-native email security company, and leader in preventing phishing attacks in email, web, and network environments. Together, we expect to deliver the world’s fastest, most reliable email security solution.

In modern enterprises, email is one of the most-used cloud applications. Unfortunately, email is also one of the largest attack vectors on the Internet. Legacy email security solutions are not designed for today’s cloud-native world and modern solutions often remain disjointed from your overall cloud security approach.

But now email security can be integrated into your global cloud network. The combination of Area 1’s leading phishing protection and threat intelligence capabilities with Cloudflare’s global network, data capabilities, and Zero Trust platform will help you secure your entire global network infrastructure. You’ll be able to keep your employees secure and productive no matter where they work or whether they access applications on premise or in the cloud.

We expect the acquisition of Area 1 to be completed in April. In the meantime, please share this information with colleagues interested in augmenting cloud email defenses with the most effective phishing protections available.

If you’re interested in learning more about Cloudflare and Area 1 Security, please sign up for our live webinar, scheduled for March 3, 2022.

Sign up here for our team to reach out to you once the acquisition is complete.

-- Cloudflare Team

• F*ck AWS bro, over priced and treat customer like crap. Cloudflare all the way.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • sundaymousesundaymouse Member
    edited February 2022

@Goodtesteronline said:
    F*ck AWS bro, over priced and treat customer like crap. Cloudflare all the way.

AWS doesn't make much money from small customers (individuals and small/micro businesses), they do treat them like crap. The way they treat large customers on Enterprise support plans and paying tens of thousands a month on egress charges alone is completely different.

Thanked by 1Goodtesteronline
  • Speaking of Cloudflare, I just replaced paid Ngrok with Cloudflare Tunnels. Love it. Saved another few bucks each month

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @cmeerw said:

@Erisa said: When they announced Cloudflare R2, their S3 compatible storage,

Apparently R2 has been around for a while

Thanked by 1Erisa