Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Moving from Windows Server to Linux
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Moving from Windows Server to Linux

Hi all,

I'm moving from Windows Server to Linux and I guess I could use some suggestions.

The thing is that, I'm not experienced with Linux. In fact, I dont like command line too much.

I don't have customers. I dont do shared hosting.
This is for my own company.
We run a handful of busy websites.

I'm looking for a solution that will help me make the transition. I'm either looking for a Linux GUI that I can setup everything (ngix or apache, mysql, php etc.) or for a control panel which can be installed on Linux.

I know that most control panels are build for shared hosting environments.

Is there a control panel that is not actually build for shared hosting (accounts, sub accounts etc). but primarily for managing your own hosting server?

Thank you
Alex

Comments

• OBHostOBHost Member, Host Rep

Own Hosting or Shared Hosting has no difference - Both are for Hosting Website/Account doesn't mater single or double.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2022

Any panel can be used not for shared hosting. cPanel, DirectAdmin, even Cyberpanel (free) work great. If you need an all-in-one tool for mail, web, dns, etc cPanel will be the most user friendly especially if you don't like CLI management. $15/m for one account. There are also some tools that are ran by companies to manage the whole VPS from a UI but I've never used any.

• Are you looking for something like Webmin/ISPConfig? It can be installed for individual use as well.

• Sounds like a job for Cockpit?
    Maybe require Fastpanel to supplement it.

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

Directadmin runs great, aaPanel if you’re looking for something free works nicely. They even sell Directadmin licenses for just 1 account and 10 domains for very cheap if that’s all you need

• Back in 2013 I used Windows Server and IIS for a big project. ServerPilot helped me switch to Linux and today I’m using RunCloud to manage most my projects.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

A question.

Why do you want to move? The general rule is that, if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • Webmin will solve this perfectly, with virtualmin added if you want to make easy seperation of your websites.

• SlewrateSlewrate Member
    edited February 2022

@deank said:
    A question.

Why do you want to move? The general rule is that, if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Because I recently discovered how faster PHP runs on Linux.

It's not a small difference.

Benchmark on Windows 2022 server. Bare-metal server with E2388G processor:

test_math : 0.256 sec.
    test_stringmanipulation : 1.150 sec.
    test_loops : 0.146 sec.

test_ifelse : 0.114 sec.

Total time: : 1.666 sec.

Benchmark on a Linux VM running two cores of some much slower CPU:

test_math : 0.159 sec.
    test_stringmanipulation : 0.171 sec.
    test_loops : 0.101 sec.

test_ifelse : 0.133 sec.

Total time: : 0.564 sec.**

Same PHP version, same PHP settings.

• @Slewrate said:

@deank said:
    A question.

Because I recently discovered how faster PHP runs on Linux.

It's not a small difference.

Benchmark on Windows 2022 server. Bare-metal server with E2388G processor:

test_math : 0.256 sec.
    test_stringmanipulation : 1.150 sec.
    test_loops : 0.146 sec.

test_ifelse : 0.114 sec.

Total time: : 1.666 sec.

Benchmark on a Linux VM running two cores of some much slower CPU:

test_math : 0.159 sec.
    test_stringmanipulation : 0.171 sec.
    test_loops : 0.101 sec.

test_ifelse : 0.133 sec.

Total time: : 0.564 sec.**

Same PHP version, same PHP settings.

Curious - what was your reasoning to go with Windows Server for serving PHP in the first place?

Yeah, because, I think, it's been known for decades that PHP runs just better on linux.

• Nothing compares to Windows Server when it comes to GUI. The only reason people move to Linux is more or less: Better Performance on Low Specs or A Powerful Terminal that can customize anything on the System. Both are not achieved when you use GUI in Linux.
    You'd be better off continuing with Windows. I use windows servers for the GUI as well.
    Apart from all that, Linux in terms of security is not great and requires advanced customization for full security which may be prone to holes in your setup. In windows servers, security is more or less plug and play. Just check a few checkboxes and you're done.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2022

I suggest you try to switching some personal blog or website to linux environment, play a bit with it and when comfortable then make the actual switch. If you are used to Windows, then it will take a while for you to get used to Linux way of working. When accustomed with linux, it will be worth it.

Further, other way is to get Managed support , although if you use hosting panel like DA then along with free firewall like CSF would be good start. You can then customize as you learn more.

• @plumberg said:
    Curious - what was your reasoning to go with Windows Server for serving PHP in the first place?

I simply did not have enough knowledge to be effective on Linux. And frankly, I hate command line.

But this is not just better performance. This is a huge gap between windows and linux for PHP performance. Yes, I did know that PHP runs better on linux, but I never realized how much. And the consensus is that the same applies for databases (mysql, mariaDB etc.)

I do like Windows Server alot. I wish they addressed the performance issues, but I don't think its going to happen. PHP has been running for 10 years now with FastCGI and despite the performance complaints, nothing has changed.

For my small websites I dont care too much. I run them under a Win2022 VM, and they run fine with Opcache and Object cache.

However, for the large websites that every millisecond matters and you want the lower possible TTFB, this is where I'm looking forward to switch to linux.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @Saahib said:
    I suggest you try to switching some personal blog or website to linux environment, play a bit with it and when comfortable then make the actual switch. If you are used to Windows, then it will take a while for you to get used to Linux way of working. When accustomed with linux, it will be worth it.

Further, other way is to get Managed support , although if you use hosting panel like DA then along with free firewall like CSF would be good start. You can then customize as you learn more.

Yeah. I've done that already. I used Plesk under Almalinux. This is only a test. It works, but I'm not sure If I should go with Plesk. But it dies work and everything makes sense to me.

• Hello,
    If you're in the stage of choosing Linux server for your hosting, then i must say linux could be your ideal choice. Yes of course, before making any uniform decision, you need to understand why you need to go for linux, and what are its benefits that make your system fast. If you are a having a small business or new startup then i must suggest you to go for HostByte. They are having more than 10 years of experience in hosting business.

• @pankaj05 said:
    Hello,
    If you're in the stage of choosing Linux server for your hosting, then i must say linux could be your ideal choice. Yes of course, before making any uniform decision, you need to understand why you need to go for linux, and what are its benefits that make your system fast. If you are a having a small business or new startup then i must suggest you to go for HostByte. They are having more than 10 years of experience in hosting business.

First post shill, sussy

• @jmgcaguicla said: First post shill, sussy

Stop quoting the spammer and making the mods work more difficult.

• @stevewatson301 said:

@jmgcaguicla said:

@pankaj05 said:
    Hello,

First post shill, sussy

Stop quoting the spammer and making the mods work more difficult.

Whoops, my bad

Do we even had mods at the moment?

RottenPie and ... who else?

• @pankaj05 said: If you are a having a small business or new startup then i must suggest you to go for HostByte.

HostByte are shills and spammers -- they are the worst choice that one could make

No congrats on your first post

Thanked by 1webcraft

Don't use HostByte because they host Russian hackers.

Thanked by 2webcraft Ganonk
  • No no at all, you are having some misconception regarding HostByte. They are the genuine hosting provider of india. if you want to check it please search hostbyte india.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@pankaj05 said:
    No no at all, you are having some misconception regarding HostByte. They are the genuine hosting provider of india. if you want to check it please search hostbyte india.

No, no misconception

HostByte are shills and spammers -- they are the worst choice that one could make

No congrats on your second post

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • @pankaj05 said:
    Hello,
    If you're in the stage of choosing Linux server for your hosting, then i must say linux could be your ideal choice.

I don't even know what to say about this sentence...

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • Could please a mod delete all the spam posts?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@pankaj05 said: No no at all, you are having some misconception regarding HostByte. They are the genuine hosting provider of india. if you want to check it please search hostbyte india.

I love that (a) your email is host byte-related, yet (b) hosted on gmail.com.

• Hello raindog308,
    Any wrong activity has been done by me???