Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup launched G9.5 root servers, good and bad news!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup launched G9.5 root servers, good and bad news!

Hi

Netcup launched G9.5 of root server line and we have good news and bad news.

Good News: + cores
Bad News: If you choose server location, you pay + 1.90 EUR for Vienna and + 2.80 EUR Nuremberg

Not a good move :(

Thanked by 2sgno1 itsnotv

Comments

• I'm here waiting for Gen 10.

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • 4 dedicated (AMD 7702) cores for 10.80€ is awesome.

• What? They charge to let you choose the location? Never seen this before.

• nfnnfn Veteran

@vitobotta said:
    What? They charge to let you choose the location? Never seen this before.

Yes they do.
    Note that the price show above is for the RS 2000 G9.5. The price is higher for the larger servers.

• Internet connection at Vienna and Austria in general sucks, I guess you are paying that.

• I noticed this yesterday myself, after purchasing 9 different plans for other purpose, now I am going to plan termination in 2 months time and repurchase the 9.5 plans a week before cancellation an migrate them all over, I know I can cancel services within 14 days, but I do not want to abuse that.

• ifykoifyko Member
    edited February 2022

@dgc1980 said:
    I noticed this yesterday myself, after purchasing 9 different plans for other purpose, now I am going to plan termination in 2 months time and repurchase the 9.5 plans a week before cancellation an migrate them all over, I know I can cancel services within 14 days, but I do not want to abuse that.

"Can I upgrade my existing root server from generation 9 to generation 9.5?
    Yes, it is possible to upgrade an existing root server to generation 9.5."

Hope this helps.

Thanked by 1dgc1980
  • dgc1980dgc1980 Member
    edited February 2022

@ifyko said: Can I upgrade my existing root server from generation 9 to generation 9.5

I asked via support ticket they said no.

edit: found it in their control panel, will try

• @dgc1980 said:

@ifyko said: Can I upgrade my existing root server from generation 9 to generation 9.5

I asked via support ticket they said no.

edit: found it in their control panel, will try

I imagine that an upgrade would take place (i.e., begin) only at the end of your present contract (in your case, after the first two months)

• @angstrom said: I imagine that an upgrade would take place (i.e., begin) only at the end of your present contract (in your case, after the first two months)

the current contract get prorated refunded, then a new contract is made.

• @dgc1980 said:

@angstrom said: I imagine that an upgrade would take place (i.e., begin) only at the end of your present contract (in your case, after the first two months)

Ah, okay, even better :)

• nfnnfn Veteran
    edited February 2022

@dgc1980 said:

@angstrom said: I imagine that an upgrade would take place (i.e., begin) only at the end of your present contract (in your case, after the first two months)

Would this apply to special offers or only regular ones?
    Edit: Of course I'll lost the special offer and get a new 9.5 root server ar retail price! o:) o:)

Have you choose the server location? where did you end up?

• Has anyone got one and got a yabs / benchmark?

Thanked by 1miroc
  • @nfn said: Have you choose the server location? where did you end up?

no special location, DE in fine

• Thank God I got my RS 8000 in Black Friday. 12 Cores for 40 euros. The only issue is that I am locked in contract for a year. So, waiting for next black Friday for RS 8000 9.5 50% off. ;)

• For 12 euro not a bad spec at all. The network could be a little bit better.

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2022-02-18                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Sat 26 Feb 2022 10:13:36 PM CET

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : AMD EPYC 7702P 64-Core Processor
    CPU cores  : 4 @ 1996.110 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 7.8 GiB
    Swap       : 0.0 KiB
    Disk       : 157.4 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 171.75 MB/s  (42.9k) | 1.95 GB/s    (30.4k)
    Write      | 172.20 MB/s  (43.0k) | 1.96 GB/s    (30.6k)
    Total      | 343.96 MB/s  (85.9k) | 3.91 GB/s    (61.1k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 3.59 GB/s     (7.0k) | 3.66 GB/s     (3.5k)
    Write      | 3.78 GB/s     (7.3k) | 3.90 GB/s     (3.8k)
    Total      | 7.37 GB/s    (14.3k) | 7.57 GB/s     (7.3k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                    |                           |                 |
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 214 Mbits/sec   | 425 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 1.80 Gbits/sec  | 2.37 Gbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 2.20 Gbits/sec  | 2.38 Gbits/sec
    WebHorizon      | Singapore (400M)          | busy            | busy
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 701 Mbits/sec   | 1.64 Gbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 567 Mbits/sec   | 1.77 Gbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 263 Mbits/sec   | 317 Mbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 76.3 Mbits/sec  | 1.04 Gbits/sec

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                    |                           |                 |
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 182 Mbits/sec   | 409 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 1.08 Gbits/sec  | 2.31 Gbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 1.51 Gbits/sec  | 2.33 Gbits/sec
    WebHorizon      | Singapore (400M)          | busy            | busy
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 698 Mbits/sec   | 1.69 Gbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 445 Mbits/sec   | 1.03 Gbits/sec

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 1046
    Multi Core      | 4068
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/13036979

Thanked by 1Goodtesteronline
  • nfnnfn Veteran

@ollietrex said:
    The network could be a little bit better.

Viena?

• Nuremberg

• @ollietrex said:
    Nuremberg

did you paid for the location specifically or it random assigned to Nuremberg?

• I paid for the location, I have already cancelled it with the 14 cancellation policy so did not pay anything. Nice server, not the best network but prefer something a bit closer to where I live.

Thanked by 1Goodtesteronline
  • CalmDownCalmDown Member
    edited February 2022

@ollietrex said:
    I paid for the location, I have already cancelled it with the 14 cancellation policy so did not pay anything. Nice server, not the best network but prefer something a bit closer to where I live.

Tune network configs with sysctl and you will have one of the best networks. Havent saw better peering they they have for a long time

• @CalmDown said:

@ollietrex said:
    I paid for the location, I have already cancelled it with the 14 cancellation policy so did not pay anything. Nice server, not the best network but prefer something a bit closer to where I live.

Tune network configs with sysctl and you will have one of the best networks. Havent saw better peering they they have for a long time

I can attest to this. The network and specs are god level for the offer price. Also netcup vouchers can be found all over the internet to help lower the overall cost. The older RS G9s are also available but probably only through vouchers.

• @CalmDown said:

@ollietrex said:

Never really looked into this before, would you have any recommendations? Having a quick good would something like this help https://community.mellanox.com/s/article/linux-sysctl-tuning

• Recently switched from Hetzner to Netcup. Couldn't be happier. If only this was available then, 2 extra cores for €.50 less? Yes,please!
    Dang it

• ZerpyZerpy Member

@thagoat said:
    Recently switched from Hetzner to Netcup. Couldn't be happier. If only this was available then, 2 extra cores for €.50 less? Yes,please!
    Dang it

Just don't monitor your server. You'll see 500-2000ms latency spikes on a daily basis for 10-20 seconds at a time, with a good amount of packet loss as well if you're having an extra good day.

One could almost say you pay for network issues ^_^

Their NOC acks it every time, but says it's just temporary - for months and months on end.

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • @Zerpy said: Just don't monitor your server

Sorry you're having issues. Maybe contact them? My servers are running great, zero issues.

• ZerpyZerpy Member

@thagoat said:
    Sorry you're having issues. Maybe contact them? My servers are running great, zero issues.

I contact them plenty of times. So does other customers. It won't solve Anexia's congestion problems.

If you have zero issues, you're not actually monitoring their network that well. Set up fping from plenty sources, feed into grafana - see nice spikes randomly.

• @Zerpy said:

@thagoat said:

I contact them plenty of times. So does other customers. It won't solve Anexia's congestion problems.

If you have zero issues, you're not actually monitoring their network that well. Set up fping from plenty sources, feed into grafana - see nice spikes randomly.

Curious whether it is a purely network issue you are getting or a symptom of the same daily freezing I get on Netcup

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3378870#Comment_3378870

• ZerpyZerpy Member

@darkimmortal said:
    Curious whether it is a purely network issue you are getting or a symptom of the same daily freezing I get on Netcup

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3378870#Comment_3378870

Purely network, and considering it happens across multiple VMs (all root servers), exactly at the same time, every time :) It usually depends on the path taken, but of 15 test locations, at least 10 experience issues whenever it happens.

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • bjobjo Member

Does the IPs change when upgrading a G9 to GO9.5? And I'm wondering if they will move a RS from Nuremberg to Vienna if you don't select Nuremberg explicitly.