Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM VPS for US VPN
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM VPS for US VPN

Canadian4evrCanadian4evr Member
edited March 2012 in Help

Hey guys,

Had a question I've been trying to figure out. I got one of the $15 VPS accounts from BuyVM (fantastic support btw). I wanted to setup a VPN so I can get US Netflix, Pandora, Hulu etc.

I've it everything working, even got a US ip assigned to my VPS, but I'm still having some issues.

VPN speeds are really inconsistent, rarely get close to my actual home connection speed (max is 6mbps, getting 2-4.5).
Using PPTP VPN from my iPhone I have issues connecting with the pandora app, detects my us connection, but doesnt stream.... Till I turn off the VPN.

I have used the preconfigured scripts listed in the FranTech wiki.

Comparing the VPN connection to a paid VPN I have through free2surfvpvn, I have noticed high speed differences, and no issues with iPhone apps.

I don't believe it is a server bandwidth issue as I have run speed tests for download and upload and all are well above the speeds I am looking for without any dips in speed for http transfer traffic.

Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

It's quite possible the entropy on that box is derped up, log a ticket and link this very post :)

Francisco

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

can you give us more details of that, @Francisco ? Thanks

• You could try this

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/21375#Comment_21375

I used it for good 5 months while i was in india and it worked fine.

• You got a US ip assigned to your VPS? You're lucky!
    Mine is Canada.. well, China sometimes.. :P

• @NanoG6 No, they offer a US VPN service, anyone who has a BuyVM container can use it. You just have to set it up (instructions in the Frantech wiki).

We got true US ip's as well for the people that really need it.

I SWIP'd a /22 worth of IP's to our US address and from what i've seen, maxmind has complied and marks it as US based. I need to run it through a VPN but I bet it'll work just dandy with netflix/etc.

Francisco

• Hey francisco, any news on stock? Looking forward to it :)

• This Friday :3

• Hooray! I hope I can snatch one before they go away.

Stock has been announced for March 23rd, 2012 at 6AM GMT -8! The schedule for after the initial 6am release can be found at http://eepurl.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=3984e2b0d300b38c6a6ea27c3&id=7d6ced6fe5&e=c0af7e6adb

• NickMNickM Member

@netomx said: can you give us more details of that

Encrypted communications (SSL, VPNs, SSH, etc) use a random seed to generate their keys and tokens. On Linux, they typically get this seed from /dev/random, which is the kernel's random number generator. It generates random bits by gathering entropy from various sources (typically disk activity, keyboard activity and network activity). A problem arises when the available entropy is less than what you need. /dev/random blocks, meaning it waits for there to be enough entropy available. This can lead to a wide variety of problems, ranging from slow VPN connections to the inability to login via SSH.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • kendidkendid Veteran

@Canadian4evr - I have 2 - 128 boxes I used with them for VPNing, and a 256 for playing around... One of the 128's averages around 4-6 (node9), the other around 1.8 (node24)... I've been reassigned a new ip address and still get 1.8 Mbps (which is inconsistent with the speed as it drops and increases in speed) - the other drops and increases too, and is almost usable.

I've put in another ticket on the 17th - still no response (I did put it low priority #242755)... I'm sure they're busy getting ready for the sale...

I'm in eastern europe, so have starting only using USA east coast providers (hostigation, secure dragon, tinyvz)... On these I average around 9 Mbps -- possibly due to the fact it doesn't have to go all the way across the US (using openvpn btw).

I still like Buyvm, however, for VPNing I'm looking elsewhere... There's a rumour they are heading east coast eventually, and when that happens, I'll probably look them up again.

I'd also like to get a backup plan through them, but I only need a quarter of the space they are offering! It'd be nice to see smaller backup plans...

@kendid said: I've put in another ticket on the 17th - still no response (I did put it low priority #242755)... I'm sure they're busy getting ready for the sale...

Yer, sorry.

Anthony sent me your ticket in the morning but I'll have to check into it more.

Francisco

• kendidkendid Veteran

np... low priority for me means 'low priority'.... Wasn't expecting an immediate response! I never doubted it would get looked into... (unlike some of those 'out of this world' places)

@NickM said: ncrypted communications (SSL, VPNs, SSH, etc) u

Thank you!