Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GreenCloudVPS cpu policy, burstable up to 10 minutes ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GreenCloudVPS cpu policy, burstable up to 10 minutes ?

Hello fellow LET user, I'm here to ask you something.

I'm interested in greencloudvps offer, I plan to use one of them server for my small production site. I've been reading their ToS and found they only allow burstable cpu up to 10 minutes and reserve the right to terminate any account.

The thing is, I run production site with small number of user (under 200), and sometime when an user process something in our site, it will bring up 100% SQL process for several minutes, I never measured how long the burst take, but it will eventually go down.

I didn't operate anything suspicious on all my server, but the policy scared me a little because the offer only valid for bianually payment. I'm scared they'll terminate my account because of the burst caused by mysql (ultimately loses my money).

Have anyone have same problem (maxed out cpu) on greencloudvps ? Do they ban you immediately or give some notice ?

Thanks !

Thanked by 1pan_ia0_net

Comments

• Once there was an issue(my end) on my server which caused 100% cpu usages for several hours. They shutdown the server & sent me an email about the issue. Usually provider doesn't give much attention as long as your usage doesn't effect the neighbors.

• umzakumzak Member
    edited February 2022

Usually, some provider give us 1st, 2nd, and 3rd warning like this

If this is your first notice, no additional action has been taken.

If this is your 2nd notice within a hour, your CPU usage has been temporarily restricted to 20% of overall CPU power.

If this is your 3rd notice within a short period, your CPU usage has been permanently restricted.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@Liso said:
    Hello fellow LET user, I'm here to ask you something.

I'm interested in greencloudvps offer, I plan to use one of them server for my small production site. I've been reading their ToS and found they only allow burstable cpu up to 10 minutes and reserve the right to terminate any account.

The thing is, I run production site with small number of user (under 200), and sometime when an user process something in our site, it will bring up 100% SQL process for several minutes, I never measured how long the burst take, but it will eventually go down.

I didn't operate anything suspicious on all my server, but the policy scared me a little because the offer only valid for bianually payment. I'm scared they'll terminate my account because of the burst caused by mysql (ultimately loses my money).

Have anyone have same problem (maxed out cpu) on greencloudvps ? Do they ban you immediately or give some notice ?

Thanks !

It's a hard question to answer to be honest - after all, if you burst for more than what the policy says, they have the right to suspend your account. If it is production you are looking for and you know these bursts will possibly go over the limit, look for dedicated core vpses. As much as I don't like the contracts, check out netcup.eu. alternatively, there is php-friends and avoro.eu. the prices may be more overall than greencloud but you have full use of the cpus you buy. Good luck!

Thanked by 1pan_ia0_net
  • just get a bigger vps so you wont hit 100%.

Thanked by 1pan_ia0_net
  • They will shut down your VPS and send you an E-mail.
    You can reboot by yourself however do not burst too many times, or they will suspended.

VPS = Virtual Private Server
    VDS = Virtual Dedicated Server
    Find the latter one if you need exclusive resources.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

when an user process something in our site, it will bring up 100% SQL process for several minutes

On VPS:
    You can set systemd limits to throttle the CPU quota of the SQL server.
    Jobs will run slower but you'll never exceed provider fair use.

On VDS:
    Hammer the cores and blast the ports with no mercy.

Thanked by 2pullangcubo ariq01
  • NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

To the OP: We have not terminated any VPS due to CPU abusing, you will receive notification emails in this case, if repeated then the VPS will be powered off/suspended to avoid negative impacts to other customers. We can reactivate it once you open a ticket.

You can burst for more than 10 minutes, normally we would leave the burstable period to ~ 1 or a few hours as long as it does not affect other customers.

• If SQL goes to 100% CPU for an hour, something needs to be fixed with the design anyway.

• @NDTN said:
    To the OP: We have not terminated any VPS due to CPU abusing, you will receive notification emails in this case, if repeated then the VPS will be powered off/suspended to avoid negative impacts to other customers. We can reactivate it once you open a ticket.

You can burst for more than 10 minutes, normally we would leave the burstable period to ~ 1 or a few hours as long as it does not affect other customers.

That's really nice. Thanks for the explanation.

• CPU running at 100% usually means potentially a bug in the applications or runaway query. Some providers suspend you if you exceed 30%. Even if this 30% threshold is in the T&C, it is difficult for any user to monitor usage for that level since usage moving from 25% to 33% appears to be normal behaviour and you may not know what needs to be done.
    But 100% usage will triggers an investigation.
    Kudos to GreenCloudVPS.

• @NDTN said:

Thanks, guess I'll need a vds then.

• aRNoLDaRNoLD Member
    edited February 2022

@yoursunny said:

when an user process something in our site, it will bring up 100% SQL process for several minutes

On VPS:
    You can set systemd limits to throttle the CPU quota of the SQL server.
    Jobs will run slower but you'll never exceed provider fair use.

On VDS:
    Hammer the cores and blast the ports with no mercy.

To my understanding, blasting the ports on a VDS may not be recommended as VDS just guarantees exclusive use of CPU.

As per GreenCloudVPS TOS (let's take it for an example in terms of resources), resources may include bandwidth.

Resource Usage
    Any user may not:
    a) Use 100% or more of system resources for longer than 10 minutes.

and

Unmetered bandwidth on Windows VPS: The network port is fair-shared so constantly use high amount of bandwidth is not allowed. This includes constantly consume more than 100mbps over 6 hours or burst to the full port (1Gbps or 10Gbps) frequently.

I got a 5555 plan in NY datacenter yesterday and wanted to ffmpeg sth and then I found the TOS.

And for @Liso , @MikeA offers VDSes which (at least some) are hosted by OVH. Here are some out-of-stock plans (which means you may have to wait for some time)

https://extravm.com/billing/store/specials

• tomletomle Member, LIR

I still don't think it's clear though. If I get the 5 core VPS, then that means that if I burst all cores I will have a CPU load of 5.0. Is that equivalent to 100% burst?
    And does 30% then mean that I can run a core at 100% since that would only be 20%?

Or does 100% burst mean one core, regardless of how many cores I've got?

• @tomle said: Or does 100% burst mean one core

@NDTN would have to clarify, but typically none of the cores are dedicated to you so 100% means using one core.

• hezekiahsharehezekiahshare Member
    edited March 2022

no, i can say you cant use 100% for 1 core for morethan 10 minutes. im tested it before got suspended for severaltimes because of cpu abusing, i have hospital application and when it goes to busy tada it get down,

my package have 4 core 8GB RAM and when it come 100% for 1 cpu core for 10 minutes my VPS are goes down shutdown and after that suspended.

For terminating im sure they are professional for their job on that, you not got terminated just suspended.

for testing project you can use their vps but not for more than that or if you have project will small resource you can use their VPS. but for high load cpu forget it u need dedicated cpu.

Thanked by 2nick_ dev077
  • Worst provider for CPU monitoring, they shut me once rightly as the update catch the memory leak, after they shut you down periodicly even if CPU use is very low 4-5%

and their support just talk shit and say next time they will have prof of your CPU abuse, never provide and still shut down your VPS, at least got partial refund and no thanks its defo chines crap quality level