Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GreenCloud, how to install RockyLinux?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GreenCloud, how to install RockyLinux?

nfnnfn Veteran

Hi

Surprising, GreenCloud denied my request to mount netboot iso so I could install RockyLinux.... very bad atitude.

Any suggestions on how can I install RL?
I have CentOS 8 but I want a fresh install and want to avoid a migration.

Thanks

Thanked by 1pan_ia0_net

Comments

• u can install centos, then convert to rockylinux.

Thanked by 2bdl pan_ia0_net
  • bdlbdl Member
    edited February 2022

@nfn said:
    Hi

Surprising, GreenCloud denied my request to mount netboot iso so I could install RockyLinux.... very bad atitude.

Hi

They didn't deny your request. You didn't do your homework prior to purchasing the product. If you'd bothered to search the forum, you'd see that they don't support custom .iso's.

Thanks.

Thanked by 3nfn pan_ia0_net nick_
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Migrating to Rocky from Cent should work fine, I wouldn't worry too much.

Thanked by 1pan_ia0_net
  • nfnnfn Veteran

@bdl said:

@nfn said:
    Hi

Hi

They didn't deny your request. You didn't do your homework prior to purchasing the product. If you'd bothered to search the forum, you'd see that they don't support custom .iso's.

Thanks.

Yes, that's the first provider I have that don't allow this, but you're eventually right 👍

• You don't need to mount the netboot iso. There are other ways:
    1. https://netboot.xyz/docs/booting/grub
    2. https://netboot.xyz/docs/booting/ipxe

Check the docs.

• nfnnfn Veteran

They could just remove CentOS 8 and use netboot instead.
    Would be easier!

Thanked by 1pan_ia0_net
  • @bdl said:

@nfn said:
    Hi

Hi

Do you know what their rationale is for not supporting ISOs?

So they only offer templates?

• nfnnfn Veteran

They offer Centos 7, 8, Fedora Server, Debian 11 and Ubuntu 20 ISO + Debian 11 Template

Thanked by 1pan_ia0_net
  • @nfn said:
    They offer Centos 7, 8, Fedora Server, Debian 11 and Ubuntu 20 ISO + Debian 11 Template

If they offer some ISOs (and not only templates), it shouldn't be too hard for them to add a Rocky Linux ISO and an AlmaLinux ISO to their collection

Thanked by 2nfn pan_ia0_net
  • nfnnfn Veteran

@angstrom said:

@nfn said:

If they offer some ISOs (and not only templates), it shouldn't be too hard for them to add a Rocky Linux ISO and an AlmaLinux ISO to their collection

Yes, they could refresh theses ISOs.

Thanked by 1pan_ia0_net
  • @angstrom said:

@bdl said:

@nfn said:
    Hi

Hi

Limitations of SolusVM - see https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3381181/#Comment_3381181

Thanked by 2angstrom pan_ia0_net
  • @nfn said:

@angstrom said:

@nfn said:

I agree with you that the netboot.xyz ISO would also be useful, but I find that the original ISOs are useful in some situations (e.g., if there's no DHCP) where netboot.xyz might fail.

Thanked by 1pan_ia0_net
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@angstrom said:

@nfn said:

@angstrom said:

@nfn said:

I agree with you that the netboot.xyz ISO would also be useful, but I find that the original ISOs are useful in some situations (e.g., if there's no DHCP) where netboot.xyz might fail.

Eh, every VPS provider should include netboot image..

• @bdl said:

@angstrom said:

@bdl said:

@nfn said:
    Hi

Hi

Limitations of SolusVM - see https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3381181/#Comment_3381181

It's true that SolusVM doesn't allow users to upload their own ISOs, so in this sense, I can understand that GreenCloud don't support "custom ISOs".

But they could/should still try to offer a full range of current OS ISOs, which (in 2022) would/should include Rocky Linux and AlmaLinux.

Thanked by 1pan_ia0_net
  • @angstrom said:

@bdl said:

@angstrom said:

@bdl said:

@nfn said:
    Hi

Hi

It's true that SolusVM doesn't allow users to upload their own ISOs, so in this sense, I can understand that GreenCloud don't support "custom ISOs".

But they could/should still try to offer a full range of current OS ISOs, which (in 2022) would/should include Rocky Linux and AlmaLinux.

Alpine, Arch

Thanked by 2angstrom pan_ia0_net
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited February 2022

@MikeA said:

@angstrom said:

@nfn said:

@angstrom said:

@nfn said:

I agree. (But I'd like to keep the individual OS ISOs as well :) )

Maybe a call out to @NDTN : any chance of refreshing/updating your collection of ISOs? :) Minimally, it would be great to have the ISOs for netboot.xyz , Rocky Linux, AlmaLinux, Devuan, Alpine Linux, and Arch Linux as well. :)

Thanked by 2nfn pan_ia0_net
  • There could be other ways to install/load your desired ISOes without loading ISOes from the control panel.

Suppose you are now with Debian/Ubuntu which is preinstalled and you have obtained your VNC account/pwd.

SSH onto your terminal, key in the following scripts

sudo apt install -y ipxe && sudo sed -i 's/^GRUB_TIMEOUT=.*/GRUB_TIMEOUT=20/g;s/^GRUB_DEFAULT=.*/GRUB_DEFAULT=2/g;' /etc/default/grub && sudo update-grub && sudo reboot

Normally Grub_default=2 means the last/third menu item(0 = Debian, 1 = Debian Advanced) when you start your VPS, but if NOT, your menu is modified or with some other items, you can still use arrow key to pick the right one to enter netboot.xyz boot interface.

If your VPS doesn't support DHCP, which should not be the case as I have tried several times with GreenCloud, you can manually set the relevant IP information, similarly like this.

set net0/ip 1.2.3.4 # VPS IP addr.
    set net0/netmask 255.255.255.0 # can be different
    set net0/gateway 1.2.3.1 # can be different but in most cases, the last digit is 1
    set dns 1.1.1.1 # my fav, but other people may prefer Google's 8*4
    ifopen net0
    chain --autofree http://boot.netboot.xyz

• cybertechcybertech Member
    edited February 2022

install debian
    install ipxe
    update grub
    reboot
    select ipxe
    ctrl+b for command line
    set ip/dns/gateway accordingly
    ifopen
    boot chainfree netboot
    open a can of beer

and stop blaming greencloudvps policy. they are fucking good for the price.

Thanked by 2karjaj pan_ia0_net
  • NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@angstrom said:

@MikeA said:

@angstrom said:

@nfn said:

@angstrom said:

@nfn said:

I agree. (But I'd like to keep the individual OS ISOs as well :) )

Maybe a call out to @NDTN : any chance of refreshing/updating your collection of ISOs? :) Minimally, it would be great to have the ISOs for netboot.xyz , Rocky Linux, AlmaLinux, Devuan, Alpine Linux, and Arch Linux as well. :)

We have a list of ISOs available as @nfn mentioned, they are frequently used by our customers and our staff can give assistance for those ISOs/OSes as we are using them too. We will update the ISOs with Rocky Linux 8 and AlmaLinux 8 in the next few days.

• or just go debian. its only apt to replace yum.

Thanked by 1pan_ia0_net
  • @angstrom said:

@bdl said:

@angstrom said:

@bdl said:

@nfn said:
    Hi

Hi

Nope. The support can upload the custom ISO for you.

Many providers do that, including Racknerd, except Windows ISO.

Thanked by 1pan_ia0_net
  • @Fritz said:

@angstrom said:

@bdl said:

@angstrom said:

@bdl said:

@nfn said:
    Hi

Hi

Nope. The support can upload the custom ISO for you.

Many providers do that, including Racknerd, except Windows ISO.

I was simply trying to constructively suggest a wider/fuller range of standard OS ISOs that it would be nice to see GreenCloud make available.

I certainly wasn't trying to argue against the possibility of custom ISOs!

Thanked by 1pan_ia0_net
  • @NDTN said: We have a list of ISOs available as @nfn mentioned, they are frequently used by our customers and our staff can give assistance for those ISOs/OSes as we are using them too. We will update the ISOs with Rocky Linux 8 and AlmaLinux 8 in the next few days.

Hi. I appreciate the good work you are doing. I noticed that the Rocky Linux template never came. I see latest AlmaLinux is there. It doesn't matter to me though as I don't use Rocky Linux.

I will be very happy if the current ancient Fedora 28 template can be updated to latest. I think you should also add RHEL OS template as their developer plan is generous with free 16 VMs to be used on production. I tried converting AlmaLinux 9.1 to RHEL 9.1 but it didn't go well.

Once again appreciate all the service you are providing to the LET community. Keep up the good work!

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited December 2022

@MikeA said:

Do we need No netboot hall of sadness?

• @yoursunny said:

@MikeA said:

Do we need No netboot hall of sadness?

Yes. Such a stickied thread would be a LET asset.

Thanked by 1Merakith
  • itoffshoreitoffshore Member
    edited March 23

I hit this installing a MicroOS iso - some notes for installing a custom iso @ Greencloud not in the netboot.xyz menus.

• Start an Alpine Linux image from the netboot menus & run setup-alpine

• Alternatively booting an Ubuntu 22.04 live server iso & opening a shell from the help menu works - which is how I installed MicroOS tonight @ Greencloud

modprobe kvm

alpinelinux
    -----------
    apk update
    apk add qemu qemu-img qemu-system-x86_64

Debian
    -----------
    apt update
    apt install -y qemu-kvm qemu-system-x86 --no-install-recommends

cd /dev/shm
    wget https://xxxx/some.iso

MYISO=/dev/shm/some.iso

#VNC (kvm)
    -----------------
    qemu-system-x86_64 -netdev type=user,id=mynet0 -device virtio-net-pci,netdev=mynet0 -m 1G -drive file=/dev/vda,format=raw,if=virtio -vga std -k en-gb -daemonize -cdrom $MYISO -boot d

Incidentally kiwi-ng is great for building custom isos with all your config included (& can be used by other distros besides Opensuse).

Also see some notes on making kiwi-ng work - building images in ram in a container takes around 5 minutes.

Kiwi-ng generated iso images self install on boot so you don't need to create a reverse ssh tunnel to connect to VNC to do an installation - just wait until the partition table changes + 5 minutes or so.

+1 for every Provider adding a netboot.xyz iso - it will allow clients to install whatever they want (& reduce support tickets ;o)

• nick_nick_ Member

You can run netboot via grub using the following solution in case you're unable to mount an ISO.

https://netboot.xyz/docs/booting/grub/