Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Exporting DirectAdmin DNS records to PowerDNS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Exporting DirectAdmin DNS records to PowerDNS

randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

We have a bunch of old DirectAdmin servers (and Cpanel for that matter), each running their own DNS servers.

I'm thinking a centralised DNS running on PowerDNS makes more sense.

I've found a few articles on integrating PowerDNS with DirectAdmin and Cpanel, but not so much on migration of existing records.

I could do it manually, or write a script to export/import records, but I'm wondering if anyone has already done this and has some nice easy tools they would be willing to share or sell?

Thanks.

Thanked by 1pan_ia0_net

Comments

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

Just use AXFR and some custom hooks in DirectAdmin to trigger creation/deletion of zones.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@RickBakkr said:
    Just use AXFR and some custom hooks in DirectAdmin to trigger creation/deletion of zones.

Hmmm....

Instead of actually transferring records, at least initially, would it be possible to simply tell the public DNS server to query the actual host servers for their records and serve those instead?

If that could be done, then at least it would be a working name server for all records, and that provides ample time to do a proper migration later.

Thanked by 1pan_ia0_net
  • Make pdns server secondary to da. Than after sync, make that pdns primary and roll on.