Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Panel for home server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Panel for home server

I have built nice home server with few TB of storage. Now I want to comfortably manage it. Any software recommendations? I have tested FreeNAS so far. Any better?

Comments

• Software to manage services or something in particular? People generally throw on Yunohost or cloudron - easy management of apps. Portainer is another option or Yatch. If you want to goto the docker-compose way then there are basic service aggregators like Heimdall for a single page with a list of services.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Any feedback on unRAID?

• Used UnRaid for a while and it's nice and easy to use, they have alot of apps that you can install within a couple of clicks, it's basically set it and forget it.

Thanked by 1Levi
  • What are you looking to manage? Just storage, or are you looking to run other apps & services? Just for you or family/friends/other? Also, do you have any preferences for OS, and what OSs will be connecting to it?

• @MeAtExampleDotCom said:
    What are you looking to manage? Just storage, or are you looking to run other apps & services? Just for you or family/friends/other? Also, do you have any preferences for OS, and what OSs will be connecting to it?

Looking to manage storage (backups from phones), making seedbox, Wireguard, creating some test VM's (KVM), Plex. Plethora of activities. I will give a spin to unRAID.

• @LTniger said:

@MeAtExampleDotCom said:
    What are you looking to manage? Just storage, or are you looking to run other apps & services? Just for you or family/friends/other? Also, do you have any preferences for OS, and what OSs will be connecting to it?

Looking to manage storage (backups from phones), making seedbox, Wireguard, creating some test VM's (KVM), Plex. Plethora of activities. I will give a spin to unRAID.

If you want to run various apps then unraid is probably the most hassle-free solution.

Thanked by 1Levi
  • Don't have a whole lot of experience with unraid but from what I hear you cant go too far wrong with it.

Only one I have experience with is TrueNAS SCALE (Debian-based version) and its pretty nice, especially when you add a third party list to support many more apps.
    But unraid is probably better and is something I need to try out myself ;)

• UnRAID is a clear winner when you have a mix of drive sizes and you only need gigabit lan speeds. And that you don't have big, big files.

I had like a dozen 500GB drives I thought UnRAID would be good for. But it took too much planning and balancing to copy large data (300GB-1TB backup images) and it not complain about having enough free space to do it because it isn't like one large raid0 pool. With sufficiently large drives this isn't as much an issue, though.

Right now, at home I've got three Threadrippers and an Epyc. One 12bay hot-swap chassis, one 15bay chassis and another 8bay on its way. Another Desktop case with three hot-swap + internal 7 bays.

Several 9362-8i's, 9262-8i's RAID cards.

A few 18TB's, few 16TB's, half-dozen 10TB's, half dozen 8TB's, 6TB's, and a bunch of 500GB-4TB.

Having decision brain aneurysm over picking between esxi 7, UnRAID, and TrueNAS. Or more specifically, which Motherboard with which drives with which chassis, etc. Oh, and a low end 2-drive QNAP NAS. But I have 10GBe in each motherboard so I feel like UnRAID wouldn't make much use of that. So I'll set up all of them and see which I like in practice most, I guess.

Tl;dr I think you'd be happy with UnRAID and seems like they have a decent forum community with long diehards (that's a good sign).