Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for beefy machine
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for beefy machine

Hello folks,

I am trying to merge multiple of my smaller machines onto one bigger setup. Therefore I am (probably) looking for a machine with following (minimum) or better specs

CPU: 4+ Cores, (6/8+ would be better), at best dedicated, however a generous FUP could also work
RAM: 32 GB+
Disk: 400-500 GB+, NVMe grade performance, at least some Raid (with redundancy)
Network: 500 Mbps, better 1 Gbps
IPv4: 1, however I could also make great use of 2, preferably 2
IPv6: /64 or better
Location: DE/Europe, preferable central EU, depends on throughput and latency
**Must have**: Nested Virtualization (VT-X / AMD-V)
Payment: monthly (and depending on the provider) up to annually

So, besides from the actual specs, I wanna share what I am planning to do.
I have some web stuff (cloud, websites, etc) that I will move, maybe a once in a while game/minecraft server with friends. Oh and I would like to have port 25 open, as I might use it to mail as well. Additionally, on rare occasions, I might transcode some files, but thats definitely around or less than once a month. With nested-virt, I am probably gonna use Proxmox as Hypervisor. On my todo list is also stuff like OPNSense (or similar), Photoprism (which might need transcoding, dont know yet) and other things.

Now the most interesting part, my budget.
I have been looking around recently, with Hetzner, the AX-41 NVMe is available for ~41€/month (in Helsinki), with EUServ, there is an "Instant Server v5" (basically same as the AX-41 with an Intel Core i7-8700) for 43€/month.
So I'd say upto 40-45€/month is possible, depends on the config however :lol:
Preferably ~30€-35€

I am open for both dedis and virtual machines
Thanks

Comments

• You certainly cannot go wrong with the AX41-NVMe, if the network works well for you. Minecraft servers would be the issue in general, but only if they are opened to the public, so it should be fine if it's for a few people you know that won't get you DDoSed.

The only thing is that, while Hetzner has addon IPs, they have increased prices on them, so this might be an issue if you really want an extra IPv4.

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited February 2022

Maybe netcup

Edit : NVM. Netcup doesn’t have nested virt. Sorry :(

Edit 2: iirc php-friends does have nested virt, but they fall short on storage

• @JeDaYoshi said:
    You certainly cannot go wrong with the AX41-NVMe, if the network works well for you. Minecraft servers would be the issue in general, but only if they are opened to the public, so it should be fine if it's for a few people you know that won't get you DDoSed.

The only thing is that, while Hetzner has addon IPs, they have increased prices on them, so this might be an issue if you really want an extra IPv4.

Thanks for the reply, currently the AX41-NVMe would be my choice
    The gaming part is actually negligible as I dont need it often, however I would like to be able to have enough performance for all of my needs.
    And no, such server would never be public

• @sanvit said:
    Maybe netcup

Thanks to you as well! PHP-Friends was/is one of my candidates as well, the pricing of the vServer L SSD is great too. However, it falls a bit short on storage (280 GB). If only they'd bring up a special :D

• @Pilzbaum said:

@sanvit said:
    Maybe netcup

Thanks to you as well! PHP-Friends was/is one of my candidates as well, the pricing of the vServer L SSD is great too. However, it falls a bit short on storage (280 GB). If only they'd bring up a special :D

Are you even using that space or your imagination went wild?

• @duckeeyuck said:

Are you even using that space or your imagination went wild?

Well actually I prefer to have a bit of a buffer anyway
    But I do certainly use 250-300 GB easily with all my stuff included
    The thing why I requested NVMe is, that it's certainly possible to get (in Raid 1, Hetzner and Euserv)
    However, SSD could be possible as well, especially for dedicated as the IOPS aren't shared anyway

• Have a look at PHP-friends. They offer nested virtualization.

https://php-friends.de/vserver-ssd/vserver-xl-ssd-g3-1y