Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenBudgeteer Manage Your Budget with Buckets
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenBudgeteer Manage Your Budget with Buckets

FritzFritz Veteran
edited February 2022 in General

Just found this, might be interesting for you.

screenshot1.png

OpenBudgeteer is a budgeting app based on the Bucket Budgeting Principle and inspired by YNAB and Buckets. The Core is based on .NET and the MVVM Pattern, the Front End uses Blazor Server.

GitHub

Alternative of Firefly iii

Thanked by 2dev077 Ympker

Comments

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited February 2022

Putting money in buckets sounds like some redneck shit to me.

If I budgeted anything, I'd realize I shouldn't buy it, so I just don't budget. Easy!

Thanked by 2yoursunny devp
  • @TimboJones said:

If I budgeted anything, I'd realize I shouldn't buy it, so I just don't budget. Easy!

Okay.

Do you summarize or record your daily expenses?

• LeviLevi Member
    edited February 2022

Time is more valuable then money. Waisting time on app which is basically glorified exel is not good idea.

Thanked by 2bulbasaur devp
  • so, more time with no money, or more money with no time?

Thanked by 1devp
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@cybertech said:
    so, more time with no money, or more money with no time?

More push-ups with no money and no time.

Thanked by 1devp
  • @Fritz said:

@TimboJones said:

Okay.

Do you summarize or record your daily expenses?

At one point, I was using mint.com to inform me of my poor buying habits, but they required so much maintenance to keep credit card and bank accounts linked that I gave up.

• I'm actually using YNAB but they seem to be increasing the price regularly these day and they are already more expensive that my Microsoft 365 subscription... The thing is, their glorified excel sheet has a nice android app which is quite handy. I know I could make my own excel file and access it via the Office app on my phone but YNAB is sooooo much simpler.
    So I'm looking at these open source budgeting apps that pop up every now and then, but they never really reach YNAB's level of usability. Maybe when YNAB costs $1000/month something will finally happen!
    I've even used ledger-cli in Termux with the file saved in a git repository, fun times (never again).

• devpdevp Member
    edited February 2022

@fredo1664 said: ledger-cli in Termux

A good use for LET idle VPS.

• @fredo1664 said:
    I'm actually using YNAB but they seem to be increasing the price regularly these day and they are already more expensive that my Microsoft 365 subscription... The thing is, their glorified excel sheet has a nice android app which is quite handy. I know I could make my own excel file and access it via the Office app on my phone but YNAB is sooooo much simpler.
    So I'm looking at these open source budgeting apps that pop up every now and then, but they never really reach YNAB's level of usability. Maybe when YNAB costs $1000/month something will finally happen!
    I've even used ledger-cli in Termux with the file saved in a git repository, fun times (never again).

I have a spreadsheet in google drive with shortcut on my phone desktop. So it's one click to open and edit. I assume it would be the same with onedrive.

What is the "sooooo much simpler" solution?

• @TimboJones said:

@fredo1664 said:
    I'm actually using YNAB but they seem to be increasing the price regularly these day and they are already more expensive that my Microsoft 365 subscription... The thing is, their glorified excel sheet has a nice android app which is quite handy. I know I could make my own excel file and access it via the Office app on my phone but YNAB is sooooo much simpler.

I have a spreadsheet in google drive with shortcut on my phone desktop. So it's one click to open and edit. I assume it would be the same with onedrive.

Imagine somethig with UI, you only see what you need and compare it with raw table data.

I prefer good and simple UI over raw data / table grid.
    I use the raw data to make pivot at work and present it to another much simpler UI/form.

Again, it's just a matter of preferences.

• I have a spreadsheet in google drive with shortcut on my phone desktop. So it's one click to open and edit. I assume it would be the same with onedrive.

I agree that Onedrive and the Office app on the phone make it easy to access a spreadsheet on the go. I do just that with simple things like the level of heating oil in the tank in the garden and how long I can wait until I need to order more oil.
    I'm not denying that I could build an envelope-based budgeting system in Excel (YNAB started as an Excel file) but I don't think I could replicate how easy it is to deal with transactions on the phone via YNAB's android app. Say for instance I'm in the restaurant and going for the steak would mean I need to spend more money than what I have in my Dining Out envelope, with YNAB it's easy to cover this spending by stealing some money from another envelope, so I can on the go decide that this expensive steak that I cannot afford is worth stealing from the Dedicated Server category and if it means no more idling KS-LE next month then so be it. Now one may think that I don't need to be able to do this to live a happy life, but I do like that control, it makes me happy. So yes, definitely doable with a tool like Excel but I don't think it would be as simple. I guess I just wish someone would make all the effort and deliver a free solution to me, because I'm too lazy to build a web and android app, even though the KS-LE would be more than happy to host it :smiley: