Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Source self-hosted alternative to Heroku&Neltify - Coolify
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Open Source self-hosted alternative to Heroku&Neltify - Coolify

Yet another nice find from the same people behind the privacy-focused alternative to Google Fonts API.
Coolify presents itself as a self-hosted Heroku/Netlify Alternative. Sounds pretty cool!

GitHub: Click

Comments

• Cool. Any idea what the minimum specs are to run this ?

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @jmaxwell said:
    Cool. Any idea what the minimum specs are to run this ?

Not sure, sorry. Maybe you could join their Discord and ask the dev? Or just give it a try :)

• So cool. I think it’s required big resources.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • The minimum requirements aren't that big. Coolify is just a cool docker wrapper, so whatever resource you need to run docker + the app + to build the container is enough

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Am I crazy or does this have no documentation

Thanked by 2Ympker Erisa
  • seems promising, but cannot locate any docs for references or instructions.

there seems to be only fonts replacement for g fonts, the only obvious project there.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @jar said:

@aRNoLD said:
    seems promising, but cannot locate any docs for references or instructions.

there seems to be only fonts replacement for g fonts, the only obvious project there.

Yup. I actually had to install it to see how it works. However, the app itself is pretty straightforward.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • For Reference Purpose:

Cloud Foundry ( Initial Release 2011 )

OpenStack ( Initial Release 2010 )

OpenShift ( Initial Release 2010 )

• @jar said:

"Built for developers" - because developers love not having documentation? This is a red flag.

Thanked by 2jar kalipus
  • Looks similar to CapRover, but with haproxy in front instead of nginx. Loftier goals (Kubernetes) but no docs.

• @TimboJones said:

@jar said:

"Built for developers" - because developers love not having documentation? This is a red flag.

Further Readings:

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • I always get irk feeling when a project had to be installed using 1 click shell script. Anyone have same thought ?

• I've installed it on VirtualBox / Ubuntu to see what's up. It's pretty much what it claims to be, but a few key points.

It requires you to first setup it up with your GitHub/gitlab account and a FQDN.

From there, you can then generate apps, databases and such in containers. It only has 46 installs so... It's small and new

Thanked by 2FrankZ Ympker
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited February 2022

@jmaxwell said:

I installed it on a 896mb, 15GB disk VirMach KVM. It took about 5GB disk including the docker install and docker images.

@Liso said:
    I always get irk feeling when a project had to be installed using 1 click shell script. Anyone have same thought ?

What would you prefer?

Asking because I do project installs with 1 click that download a tarball, then runs an install script, leaving the tarball and install script on the server so you can see what was done. Although I also include an uninstall script, which is not the case here.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @FrankZ said:

@jmaxwell said:

I installed it on a 896mb, 15GB disk VirMach KVM. It took about 5GB disk including the docker install and docker images.

@Liso said:
    I always get irk feeling when a project had to be installed using 1 click shell script. Anyone have same thought ?

What would you prefer?

Asking because I do project installs with 1 click that download a tarball, then runs an install script, leaving the tarball and install script on the server so you can see what was done. Although I also include an uninstall script, which is not the case here.

Is this including os?

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited February 2022

@contactwajeeh said: Is this including os?

no, just what was added. If you have docker already installed it would be less.

• @FrankZ said:

@jmaxwell said:

@Liso said:

What would you prefer?

A tarball/zip with installation instruction sounds nice, but again this probably just matter of taste. I like having to do things myself, others may be not-- thus install script would be a big help for them. YMMV

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • m4num4nu Member, Patron Provider

Portainer is a more mature platform to manage containers on your own server. You will still need to do some setup work for each app. So it's not 1-click.

For the truly lazy, I'm building PikaPods.com which will be close to 1-click with setup steps like DB, volumes and UID mapping done for you (free this year while in beta).

Now that I'm a bit deeper into the topic I see one issue with this container craze: You need to have processes in place for 2 upgrade channels: the base image (like Alpine or Ubuntu) and the app you're packaging. App authors usually only deal with the the latter. As provider (or when self-hosting) you should care about both IMHO.

• Coolify 2.x released few days ago. The docs aren't ready yet. Been following their discord few weeks now. 2.x is not properly ready yet. It's like alpha/beta release. See their releases.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @jar said:

Didn't have a chance to have a go at it, yet. Since it says only 40ish instances deployed, I assume it is fairly new. Perhaps, documentation will be added soon. Until then probably just try in a vm :P