Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Contabo: a warning - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Contabo: a warning

2»

Comments

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited March 2022

Everyone is free to try getting what?, a 1 or maybe 2 vCore 2 or maybe 4 GB memory and 30 or 50 GB SSD (or if they are lucky a "NVMe" or even a real NVMe) disk VPS elsewhere for the low price Contabo asks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Contabo's VPS are great and perfect. What I'm saying is that usually one can get a great VPS, but not for a great price, or a cheap VPS but not without some weakness(es) and quirks.

Hey, we're talking about a VPS with a (usually) really great performance/cost ratio! But, yes node quality seems to have a large spread at Contabo and they definitely should work on their node monitoring. But still, getting 4 decent vCores, 8 GB memory and a generously sized NVMe or SSD along with 32 TB of traffic for that kind of money is a great deal, so what's to again and again bicker about? If you need high performance you have to pay for it (but not at Contabo I suggest because their VDS price - as opposed to their VPS price - looks insane to me).

• @brejski said: All crons have been set up to work once a month, between 01:00 and 1:03 UTC+1 and they failed. For unknown reason, server hanged up and rebooted, or something disturbing happened.

Assuming your cron jobs were working, most likely there was just some network downtime. It happens now and then with contabo and you were just unlucky. You probably should have had weekly cron jobs for cert renewal anyway.

@brejski said: Support said they optimized my server (LOL?!)

Probably a generic response given to appease customers.

@brejski said: And I cannot accept overselling resources the way that causes random shutdowns, when I am not using at most 6GB of RAM on 8GB RAM VPS!

There is no way they are overselling ram. @jsg apparently obtained lots of data on their servers and didn't say anything about that. If they were really overselling ram, you would have lots of people complaining about it by now. (eg. SSDNodes is well known for this) Contabo has been around for many, many years and noone complains of ram ballooning.

@brejski said: Also, I have never experienced such slow SSD on VPS. My RAID1 made of two HDD 5400RPMs is faster...

Most likely, what matters most for you is 4k block i/o and there is no way your HDDs are faster than contabo's rate limited SSDs.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@NoComment said:
    There is no way they are overselling ram. @jsg apparently obtained lots of data on their servers and didn't say anything about that. If they were really overselling ram, you would have lots of people complaining about it by now. (eg. SSDNodes is well known for this) Contabo has been around for many, many years and noone complains of ram ballooning.

Yes, I've obtained lost of data as well as clear answers in multiple very frank conversations and, upon my request, Contabo / @contabo_m even provided full - anonymized, of course - insight into a node (on which my VPS happened to be). And whatever info they provided I could verify did turn out to be true and honest.

Are there weak points? Definitely. Nobody can do miracles; tight node monitoring clearly seems to be a weak point. But based on plenty data and info I obtained I can clearly say that Contabo plays honest. When they say you get x GB memory then you do get x GB memory.

The more criticism (pretty much always of the same type) I see and the more I think about it, there seems to also be a strong psychological component at play which is: selling a really beefy VPS people tend to expect a 'power house' and to forget the low price. If Contabo offered a more basic spec'd VPS for 1 euro less, say a 2 vCores, 4 GB mem. VPS, peoples expectations would be more realistic.
    Or put differently: a €5 VPS is and stays a €5 VPS even if the specs sound like a €12 VPS.

• Contabo has no location fee in the US now promotion. Quickly jump on and start YABS !

• I remember that Contabo's performance has dropped significantly since last Black Friday, and the servers are oversold more. Last time the German node was out of connection for a long time, and today it seems that the US node is also out of connection.

Maybe it's the recent situation, such as power and hardware prices causing them to go find ways to squeeze costs, but the stability of the nodes has also gone down, which is very disturbing and they should suspend business expansion and maintain the current state properly.