Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone familiar with .com.br domain registrations?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone familiar with .com.br domain registrations?

alentoalento Member, Host Rep

I am working with a client who has registered 2 (now) domains in the .com.br TLD though EPIK.

Both are coming up as NXDOMAIN.

I am in the process of becoming a reseller for Hexonet, so I looked up the information that Hexonet has about .com.br domains and it says that registrations are "non-realtime".

I assume that means what it says, so can anyone advise me how long it actually takes to register a .com.br domain? EPIK is clueless .... the client is clueless ... and I just want to get this solved.

Comments

• tomazutomazu Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2022

If you do not have a legal entity in BR, you need to use a trustee service (you need a local contact) and probably that is causing the issues. The NIC.BR tickets regarding DNS get updated every 5 minutes, so if your DNS is configured correctly it is not in realtime, but quite fast.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited February 2022

Is the client physically located in Brazil? Hexonet do have a trustee service that you can use if the client is not based in Brazil, which gives you a Brazilian contact to use that satisfies the register's requirements. In my Hexonet account the price for this is listed as 12 BRL (~2.28USD) per year, on top of the domain registration price. The prices are under Billing -> My Costs -> Add-ons.

Would definitely NOT recommend Epik - would recommend transferring the domain away from Epik as soon as possible. You can search this forum to find previous discussion about Epik and their data breaches.

• Heya. BR here, with background with hosting industry.

RegistroBR is a bit finnicky. It checks for CPF/CNPJ (IDs for person and businesses). Then, checks if this CPF/CNPJ already has a Provider (mainly reseller). If so - the register will fail. Else (and if the CPF/CNPJ is in good shape (not in blacklists for owing, etc) and not rrgistered with dfferent Providers (i.e, Hostinger/Weblink, GoDaddy, etc) , it'll mainly allow the register.

Also - .BR will not propagate DNS (NXDOMAIN) if the NS is not authoritative.

• KermEdKermEd Member
    edited February 2022

Isn't .com.br quite different from .br? Sounds like a company controlling a domain to me, not an actual TLD. So you'd be subject to whoever the hell owns com.br.

I've always assumed the com.?? to be a form of scammy website trying to profit off a domain name

• ccaritaccarita Member
    edited February 2022

@KermEd said:
    Isn't .com.br quite different from .br? Sounds like a company controlling a domain to me, not an actual TLD. So you'd be subject to whoever the hell owns com.br.

I've always assumed the com.?? to be a form of scammy website trying to profit off a domain name

com.br is considered a TLD by NIC.BR (company that controls .BR registration process)
    pure .br TLD is reserved for Universities and research centers.

• @ccarita said:

@KermEd said:

com.br is considered a TLD by NIC.BR (company that controls .BR registration process)

Yeah, that's right. The process I've described (a bit) is the one for all *.br domains (and tlds) - .net.br, .com.br, .org.br...

We used to see a lot of these - domains not properly registered (i.e faulty CPFs, fake addresses, minors, CPF with another provider...).

It was a pain to create an system to check foe all of this beforehand.

In any case, if you have a registration on RegistroBR as a trustee/Provider, perhaps you can reach them by e-mail with either the "Ticket" (if the domain was not registered, it'll generate a Ticket on pending state, checkable on whois) or the domain name. Do a quick whois on the .BR database and reach them with the detauls. They're quite useful really.

• @ccarita said:

@KermEd said:

Interesting. In still on the sounds like a scammy .com alternative, but I'm staying open minded as best I can.

• nfnnfn Veteran
    edited March 2022

taking advantage of this topic, which provider do you suggest to register a com.br domain for non-residents that provides a trustee service?

• alentoalento Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2022

@nfn For no reason other than I have become a reseller for Hexonet - Hexonet.

It seems that their trustee service is very affordable compared to others that I have seen.