Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need advice on specs needed for project and suggestions on provider
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need advice on specs needed for project and suggestions on provider

Will just be running a single bot, it will post to multiple telegram chats hourly, it's in python, it takes next to nothing RAM wise on my local machine (like 25mb running in a terminal in KDE when I checked), so my question is what kind of specs do you think I need? Could I get away with something as small as 256mb, 10-20gb storage with whatever the smallest available processor is?

As far as provider, I'm trying to be cheap, any suggestions on who to use would be appreciated as well. I would like to pay with crypto and monthly if possible so I could evaluate without being obligated to continue the full year if I had an issue. Any Linux distro would work, I've used them all, obviously would avoid any distro which had a desktop to keep resources low. US located would be ideal, but not too big of a deal, I can work around.

Thanks.

Comments

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited February 2022

If you really want to scrape the barrel, you can even squeeze this onto a shared hosting service (which LET also has plenty of) although I don't know how much of them offer Python.

Thanked by 1Batman
  • bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@jmgcaguicla said:
    If you really want to scrape the barrel, you can even squeeze this onto a shared hosting service (which LET also has plenty of) although I don't know how much of them offer Python.

I know racknerd does. I’m just not sure if this is the sort of thing that shared hosting providers want

Thanked by 1Batman
  • @jmgcaguicla said:

I haven't considered this, only worry is it's asking for my account to be banned. That said I think I've seen a couple free options that might be worth seeing if that would fly. CPU usage would be nothing, I can't imagine it being anymore stressful than a website that gets a few hits a day, the content though, some might consider it offensive (it's not, SEO and SMM related) or walking the line on some laws (which it doesn't, but I can see how people could associate it with illegal activity as often times there is some overlap into some shady/blackhat areas). Heroku was suggested by someone I know, it just seems like a bunch of extra hassle and honestly seems a little confusing at least compared to working with a VPS. Thanks for the reply

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Boomer host had a vps I believe for less than 5 dollars a year. But you didn't specify cpu usage nor writing so I am assuming it isn't intensive?

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited February 2022

Maybe Oracle Cloud (free), or try out some NAT VMs from various providers (@Cam @WebHorizon are some that I can think of right now)

Edit: You did mention monthly payments, but I'm pretty sure $2/y would work out for you too.
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/162711/gullos-hosting-am-i-apart-of-cc-yet-new-buffalo-location-2-year-nat-ovz7-vps-in-8-locations/p1

Thanked by 2Cam Abd
  • KermEdKermEd Member
    edited February 2022

You could run that for free on Azure. They literally have a free plan for Azure Bot Services.

• Can recommend Racknerd/VirMach 512MB/1GB boxes for this purpose. With a VPS, you can also install and run the db and other stuff (if needed) for the bot on the same box thus making it work faster. Telegram Bots don’t require a lot of RAM to run for sure but to install some dependencies, decent amount of RAM is needed. For example in Gullo 128MB VPS, some required libraries wouldn’t install because it maxes out the memory and just exits. I would also advice to stay away from free ones like oracle, azure etc and especially heroku for telegram bots.

• mwtmwt Member
    edited February 2022

@jmgcaguicla said:

@MyW offers Python. US datacenter is in LA. I use it for a simple Python site. Your use case sounds like lower resource use than a WordPress site. I don't think anyone would ban you unless you are very off about your resource usage.