Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open-Source Alternative to Google Analytics?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Open-Source Alternative to Google Analytics?

I used to use Google Analytics many years ago and then ditched it started using StatCounter, which worked for that time.

I am looking for a good Open-source product that is fast and stable. Please feel to share your suggestions on this. Thank you.

Comments

• DazzleDazzle Member
    edited February 2022

Well, found Yandex Metrica quite interesting to try. Some people may suggesting Matomo.

Anyway, StatCounter is not comparable to GA, afaik.

Thanked by 1GreenPeace
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

The end is nigh.

• @deank said:
    The end is nigh.

Thank you for blessing this post with your presence.

• GreenPeaceGreenPeace Member
    edited February 2022

Interesting, will try them. Thank you.

@Dazzle said:
    Well, found Yandex Metrica quite interesting to try. Some people may suggesting Matomo.

Anyway, StatCounter is not comparable to GA, afaik.

Didn't try Yandex, but I like Yandex products. About StatCounter, it used to give users searched keywords once, then they turned it off :neutral:

• Try Matomo.

Thanked by 1GreenPeace
  • Self hosted Matomo. Best there is.

Thanked by 1GreenPeace
  • +1 for Matomo

There's also self-hosted Plausible, but I don't have any experience with it.

Thanked by 1GreenPeace
  • I have Plausible lined up to investigate when I get around to it, though I can't comment directly yet. Seems well regarded, AGPL licensed, both self-install and paid service options exist.

Thanked by 1GreenPeace
  • +1 Matomo

Thanked by 1GreenPeace
  • If Matomo was a political leader, looks like everyone would vote Matomo for Prime Minister.

• +1 Matomo
    If you are using WordPress, there is also a plugin, so I think it is easy to install.

• nfnnfn Veteran

I'm testing umami and I like it. Fast and simple.

• Not open source, but self hosted
    https://www.uxwizz.com/

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

I just use https://goaccess.io/ for a simple bash based access log reader. Doesn't break it down as much as some of the JS embedded trackers like GA, Piwik (or whatever it's called now), etc but gives me enough stats to get an idea of where some traffic is coming from, how many requests are made, etc.

It's literally just an access log reader that organizes things in an easier to read format, no database, and no archive of previous data. Just 'at a glance' type data which is helpful. You can export to html if you want, but I've never seen a need to.

Lot of people, me included, block all Google Analytics and other known trackers.

Thanked by 1coolice
  • @MannDude said:
    ... Piwik (or whatever it's called now)...

It is Matomo.

• @MannDude said:
    Piwik (or whatever it's called now)

Just so you know, that's what people have been suggesting: Matomo.

Matomo is probably the closest thing that you can get with the power of Google Analytics, but if you want to look at more privacy-respecting options, both Plausible and Umami are great alternatives.

Keep in mind that by default uBlock Origin blocks both Matomo and Plausible, though.
    (to be specific, it blocks any URLs that access a matomo.js and plausible.js path. Technically, in Plausible, there's also plausible.outbound-links.js which also tracks when an user clicks an outbound link in your website, which is curiously not blocked by default.)