Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Degoo Premium: Lifetime $50 1TB Backup Plan
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Degoo Premium: Lifetime $50 1TB Backup Plan

Would you buy from them?

I never use them before, are they trusted?

Offer is from Stacksocial.
Ending in 1 day.

https://stacksocial.com/sales/degoo-premium-lifetime-backup-plans-1tb

Comments

• Lifetime, until they go out of business.

• Based on their rating on Google Play, I can assume they are often lost their clients files.

Thanked by 1devp
  • They must have bought a shitload of new reviews. A couple of months ago their rating was like 1.9 or something super low. If you look on TrustPilot you'll see 50% of their reviews are 1 star. How does that even get above a 3 rating? Must be TrustPilot paid account also.

My honest review they scan your files, so no privacy. If they don't like the name of your file they will tell you that you did copyright infringement and ban your account. Of course they'll wait until about a year, year and a half when you're way outside of the refund/chargeback period to do it. Rinse, repeat.

They've done this to thousands of people. You will see complaints about this anywhere that Degoo is mentioned.

Thanked by 2Fritz lucienfc
  • I used their free plan, I didn't like it. I wanted to buy the 10TB plan when I saw it because the price is so cheap but didn't get it after reading all the reviews everywhere. Most of them complained that their account got banned.

Thanked by 1Fritz
  • edited February 2022

According to many of their reviews, they offer "lifetime" storage. Then, when the 30 days refund period has passed, they scan your disks to cancel your account for "copyrighted" material & accuse you of having it even when it's documents you have a right to use. Most appeals are denied & they keep your money.

Surprising that more sites don't label Degoo a "scam."

Thanked by 1Fritz
  • FritzFritz Veteran
    edited February 2022

Based on above posts, I assume our account Will be okay if we don't store "copyrighted" materials right?

I mean it is okay if you are using your account to store private photos, office documents, etc.

Just what a regular user do.

@kalimov622 @spun @GreenPeace @Offshore_Solutions

• That's the problem @Fritz, there are multiple reviews mentioning that they used the copyright infringement excuse to lock people out even though the files were legit. Appealing such a decision would be denied most of the time, as @Offshore_Solutions mentioned above.

I did not use them personally. I knew about them but I never signed up due to the huge amount of bad reviews that I have read.

• @Fritz said:
    Based on above posts, I assume our account Will be okay if we don't store "copyrighted" materials right?

I mean it is okay if you are using your account to store private photos, office documents, etc.

Can't say if that will be ok or not as I can't speak behalf of that company. But if you read some reviews in Playstore and Appstore, you will see so many people has lost their personal photos and datas just like that. And their customer support is non-existent. This is not my experience, but I wanted to buy this in December and did some research for myself.

Thanked by 1Fritz
  • spunspun Member
    edited February 2022

Firsthand experience. I do download movies on my computer sometimes. They usually only stay on my computer for a few days. When I got the copyright notice they used examples that weren't on my computer in several months. One of the files that they claimed was a copyright issue was a document that had the same name as a movie.

I appealed and told them that I have original copies of the movies and these were backups and if they'd like I'd send them proof. They denied my appeal.

They seem to ban people after about a year or so, not 30 days because they know that within 30 days they'll still get chargebacks. Upload speeds were slow but because it was lifetime I didn't care because a partial backup plus onsite backups is better than no backups. It probably took a few weeks to upload 300GB - 400GB of files initially.

Thanked by 1Fritz
  • @spun said: They seem to ban people after about a year

Noted. Don't subscribe to degoo.

• In case anyone doesn't know yet, Degoo is crap.

Thanked by 2Void GreenPeace
  • @Fritz said:

I think if you don't store copyrighted stuff (or if it is already encrypted) you should be okay.
    I am using the free plan for backing up photos from WhatsApp since I don't want all the media from groups end up on Amazon Photos. Works well so far :)

• It might work for your purposes. Or if you encrypt everything on the way to them. Personally I used it more as a backup for my backups. After they shut me down I used another lifetime deal Polar Backup. So far it seems to be working. These are basically backups to my physical backups. I'd only use these if my backups caught on fire and I work in front of my machines all day, every day.

• @Talistech said: Lifetime, until they go out of business.

Or after X months will contact you with email starting "Dear customer, we regret to..." and the latter is all randomly generated words with inserted keywords such as "unsustainable", "cancellation", "automatic upgrade to monthly plan" etc. Avoid.

• garbage

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions
  • @spun said:
    It might work for your purposes. Or if you encrypt everything on the way to them. Personally I used it more as a backup for my backups. After they shut me down I used another lifetime deal Polar Backup. So far it seems to be working. These are basically backups to my physical backups. I'd only use these if my backups caught on fire and I work in front of my machines all day, every day.

Do you find its worth hopping between trigger-happy "lifetime" services as opposed to subscribing annually to one quality service and sticking with it? Genuinely curious.

• Go with Koofr or pCloud instead. Both have lifetime accounts and both are supported by rclone which makes them a lot more useful.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Erisa said:

@spun said:
    It might work for your purposes. Or if you encrypt everything on the way to them. Personally I used it more as a backup for my backups. After they shut me down I used another lifetime deal Polar Backup. So far it seems to be working. These are basically backups to my physical backups. I'd only use these if my backups caught on fire and I work in front of my machines all day, every day.

Do you find its worth hopping between trigger-happy "lifetime" services as opposed to subscribing annually to one quality service and sticking with it? Genuinely curious.

I didn't know that Degoo would do that. When I bought it they didn't have the reputation that they have now.

I've been using PolarBackup 5TB for 16 months now. I bought it when StackSocial had a big coupon code so I paid $48/16 months = $3 per month so far and decreasing every month that they stay in business. If they go out of business now I got my money's worth.

I have never used the cloud backups to restore any data. I have used my backup hard drive to restore data multiple times. The cloud backups are backups for my backups which I may never use.

I also have ThunderDrive and IceDrive, which have paid for themselves over the time that I've had the accounts. IceDrive for auto-backup of websites and some file hosting. ThunderDrive for file hosting and sharing, although I don't really like this one due to it being a buggy site with very limited options.

The only thing I won't go lifetime on is hosting, that I usually pay yearly.

Thanked by 2Erisa the_doctor
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited February 2022

I had an account but they closed it down. Their scanner found some files in there that was copyright iirc about 4 in an entire 2 of upload (It was a backup of a drive) which I wasn't going to go through - most probably a movie of some sort. Let's just
    say, if they find a single copyright file, you're gone! Contact to support was near impossible for the situation. Copyright was not intended but even getting to contact to appeal and / or inform them of removal was impossible as I said. If everything you upload isn't copyrighted at all, you are probably safe for the life of the company.

• @risharde said:
    I had an account but they closed it down. > Let's just say, if they find a single copyright file, you're gone! Contact to support was near impossible for the situation. Even getting to contact to appeal and / or inform them of removal was impossible as I said.

Well said, and considering their appeal process is nigh impossible, it's certain that your experience is the norm and not the exception. And that's how they make their money, by canceling accounts with false positives.

Thanked by 2the_doctor risharde
  • Lifetime $50 1TB Backup

Looks like it screams scam right there in the title.

Thanked by 1the_doctor
  • @risharde said: if they find a single copyright file, you're gone!

thanks for the heads up. i use it for dumping encrypted backups, and will be extra carefull to not give them an exuse to get rid of me. for that purpose it actually performs great.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • Thanked by 1the_doctor
  • @spun said:
    I also have ThunderDrive and IceDrive, which have paid for themselves over the time that I've had the accounts. IceDrive for auto-backup of websites and some file hosting. ThunderDrive for file hosting and sharing, although I don't really like this one due to it being a buggy site with very limited options.

Yeah, Thunderdrive sucks.

• I did the deal with Rethink Files. Loved the service but it went out of business. Nice while it lasted.