Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a book on web hosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there a book on web hosting?

There is a lot to learn.

1. Networking
  2. Virtualization Options [KVM OVZ LXC etc...]
  3. Dedicated/VPS/Hybrid ...
  4. Sourcing IP Addresses
  5. Staffing including Support Tiers
  6. ASN
  7. BGP
  8. VPN Software
  9. Marketing
  10. Reselling
  11. Control Panels
  12. Accepting Payments
  13. Accounting Selling a Business
  14. Useful Certifications
  15. Domain Registration
  16. Whats required to start a domain registrar
  17. Novelty hosting like ARM, Raspberry Pi, Mac
  18. Mining
  19. Cloud
  20. Backups
  21. Security
  22. Data-center Design
    etc...

The more I think about this the more I can add to the list. This could go into a really thick book called Web Hosting Bible. Maybe updated every few years.

Whats the closest thing to a book covering many of these topics?

Thanked by 1Logano

Comments

• These days, you have more chances of finding a video playlist/course (free or paid) instead of a book.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

Udemy has courses that cover all these things. There is a thread in the off topic section were a few members including myself post coupons to some good ones for free, and we've already posted some free ones that cover a lot of the above topics.

• Each list item above is an industry.

• Of course there is tons of books. I started from this

• @devp said:
    Each list item above is an industry.

While that may be true, a surface level or even deeper understanding of each in a chapter or so might be possible.

• @Arkas said:
    Udemy has courses that cover all these things. There is a thread in the off topic section were a few members including myself post coupons to some good ones for free, and we've already posted some free ones that cover a lot of the above topics.

Thanks for doing "Gods work".

I have so many courses from there I don't know if I will ever be able to finish 1% of them. They will be used as reference material when the subject comes up.

• From a quick Amazon search, there's a few very low-end books on starting your own web hosting business - the reviews suggest this is an unfulfilled niche ;). A more interesting read might be "Summer lovin': Reaping 3 year hosting profits in 4 months" or "Be a hosting Madonna: rinse, reinvent and repeat" or "Hot basement DC: how to run a laundry business on oversold servers" (this one works on multiple levels).

Beyond the business and technical knowledge, I suspect a diary format by a set of experienced hosters (one per chapter) would be both educational (real-world) and fun.