Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Something Waveride-like
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Something Waveride-like

Once upon a time (since 2013) there was a budget OpenVZ VPS hosting, Waveride.at, as unmanaged as possible, yet pretty stable and well-performing.

Currently the domain redirects back to Edis.at (Waveride was its subsidiary) or reports SSL error, depending on schema. Looks like EDIS is no more interested in providing OpenVZ hosting, and the experiment has been shut down.

Just curious, are there any other VPS hosters of this kind, still in business?

Comments

• HostMediaHostMedia Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2022

What sort of OpenVZ packages did they offer to make them different? We do have some nodes with Virtuozzo7, but the same as most companies KVM has taken the top stop in the offering.

• @HostMedia said:
    What sort of OpenVZ packages did they offer to make them different? We do have some nodes with Virtuozzo7, but the same as most companies KVM has taken the top stop in the offering.

Look here.

Starting from 4GB RAM, 50GB disk, 4 vCPU Cores, 2TB bandwidth for EUR 5.00/mo (in 3 datacenters).

• HostMediaHostMedia Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2022

Ah, I see, well we could offer something like that if you like:
    4GB | 50GB SAS RAID10 | 4 Cores | 2TB | 1xIPv4 | £4/mo (UK Data Centre)

We don't have many available of such spec FYI as new nodes are KVMs.

Thanked by 1the_doctor
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

I also remember OVerZold from Prometeus, which you can still buy.

@HostMedia said:

You haven't understood the concept. The service was heavily oversold but well managed OVZ, and they were being honest with the customer about what was offered.

Pricing/specs were impressive for the time, now you would need to at least double the specs: something like 10GB of RAM for 5€.

Of course anyone can now match pricing with something which was considered very aggressive nearly a decade ago

• Master_BoMaster_Bo Member
    edited February 2022

@HostMedia said:

No, actually I do not need any hosting right now. Like I said, I was just curious. I used Waveride several times when I needed high-memory VPS (usually, for a short while).

@Nyr said:
    I also remember OVerZold from Prometeus, which you can still buy.

Funny, I didn't know about OVerZold. The last known (to me) provider offering moderately priced high-memory VPSes is Contabo.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@Master_Bo said: Funny, I didn't know about OVerZold. The last known (to me) provider offering moderately priced high-memory VPSes is Contabo.

PHP-Friends is other that I often see mentioned here. Their regular pricing is pretty good, but they also have special deals from time to time.

Contabo yes, is cheap, but owned by a private equity firm, so in my mind not good for long term projects. I understand others will not care about this.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

OVerZold is OVZ7, so it is still available.
    I think we might switch to LXD at some point, but, as usual, if there is no hardware failure and the platform is still supported upstream or at least no known exploit in the wild, we will keep the service up for as long as the customer wants it.

Thanked by 1Master_Bo
  • ovz is bad

• @Maounique said:
    OVerZold is OVZ7, so it is still available.
    I think we might switch to LXD at some point, but, as usual, if there is no hardware failure and the platform is still supported upstream or at least no known exploit in the wild, we will keep the service up for as long as the customer wants it.

I use LXD to run containers during development, and it looks pretty solid.

What appalls me in OpenVZ is its really ancient kernel. Apart from that, I encountered no significant problems with OpenVZ VMs.

• If you insist OpenVZ VPS, can check: boomer.host

• @lowendclient said:
    If you insist OpenVZ VPS, can check: boomer.host

Nope, as I said - just curiosity. Yes, I know of boomer.host.