Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Email Hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Email Hosting

Hi, Am looking for email hosting, one domain only need 2-3 inboxes must allow catch-all, looking for a good company no small just opened company or one man company.

Comments

• Mxroute @jar (I think a small sale would get you tons of refugees)
    Fastmail
    Zohomail
    PolarisMail
    Runbox
    Postale.io
    Start mail
    Mailfence
    Office 365
    Purelymail
    Migadu

Take your pick

Thanked by 2Talistech Ganonk
  • ChefJoeChefJoe Member
    edited February 2022

For what it's worth, NexusBytes uses MXRoute and SmallWeb.net payments are processed under the NexusBytes name (appearing to target the lower-needs crowd). Smallweb allows catch-all on the lower tiers and emails go through MXRoute too.

• mailcheap.co

• with Zoho and Office365, you get a lot more for the price, so they might look a bit more expensive.

pricing page has the feature set
    https://www.zoho.com/workplace/pricing.html

• @jar do you plan to have any sales on easter? I'm also looking for a good email hosting and you seems to get really positive reviews here

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2022

@matheny said:
    @jar do you plan to have any sales on easter? I'm also looking for a good email hosting and you seems to get really positive reviews here

I'm working toward continued sustainability based on the type of customer signing up, which requires that I look toward investment into development and support. Sales will be fewer and further between and I think users will ultimately appreciate it. I'm not swimming in cash, I make a fraction of what I did before going full time MXroute (half or less) and I heavily invest back in.

• With all the google news it seems MXroute is about to become so much more popular, @jar and I'm happy to see that as you definitely deserve it.

Thanked by 2jar umzak
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@jar said:

@matheny said:
    @jar do you plan to have any sales on easter? I'm also looking for a good email hosting and you seems to get really positive reviews here

I'm working toward continued sustainability based on the type of customer signing up, which requires that I look toward investment into development and support. Sales will be fewer and further between and I think users will ultimately appreciate it. I'm not swimming in cash, I make a fraction of what I did before going full time MXroute (half or less) and I heavily invest back in.

What more do you have to do? I used your product recently and it was pretty good, no issues I could think of (but I am not picky one I can send and receive email)

@risharde said:

@jar said:

@matheny said:

What more do you have to do? I used your product recently and it was pretty good, no issues I could think of (but I am not picky one I can send and receive email)

More and more customers want custom developments and hand holding support. As it stands I'm merely a slave to licensed or open source software on the front end and that's consistently not the user experience people really want.

Thanked by 1Ganonk
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@jar I'd say it's a hard journey if you have to make those kind of changes for one or two clients (that was my experience previous but that's an assumption I'm making about your dev so maybe it's a wrong assumption) but I guess if it's a lot of people wanting cool features then hopefully that will keep them on your product and sustain you for some time to come AND bring more people in as you said but I guess you're doing well if you don't have to be as aggressive with your sales now

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jar said:
    More and more customers want custom developments

Could you elaborate on this? Sounds like an interesting project

edited February 2022

@dararish said:

@jar said:

When most people think of an email service they think of a series of connected and curated apps. What they don't picture is WHMCS/Blesta/HostBill provisioning DirectAdmin/cPanel accounts that have been stripped down a bit but are still, at their core, web hosting control panels.

The average user could be forgiven for thinking it's just stripped down shared web hosting, minus the web part. Because they can't see the elaborate things that happen when they send an email, it just gets delivered.

Originally the goal was to focus on that delivery. Just getting an email from A to B isn't as easy as it used to be. A single IP can almost never reach Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, AT&T, Verizon, and every other service. There's usually at least one or more services that give a self hosting user trouble (if they need to reach all of them). The goal was to use licensed software to bootstrap the front end while the real work went into the backend, making it easy for sysadmins to bow out of email delivery and just let me handle it

But later on regular people began signing up. They can't even wrap their mind around the idea that Roundcube has a contacts database and that none of the other webmail clients reference it. They don't understand why DirectAdmin has a DNS zone editor that has info they don't need. They don't understand why they can't just have a calendar as part of their email that works everywhere. They just want to log in to one place, have everything they mentally associate with email, and have it all integrated and connected. But when you're just installing a bunch of different open source software to give them webmail options, they don't understand why all of these random pieces are disconnected and standalone.

To give those people the user experience they expect, the front end of the service has to be built from the ground up with more front end dev work than I can do. At heart, I'm just a sysadmin, so I'll need to hire for this all eventually. I want a simple user experience that makes sense to the average user, but with the backend of the work we've done to make outbound delivery exceptional.

• FritzFritz Veteran
    edited February 2022

@jar said:

@dararish said:

@jar said:

When most people think of an email service they think of a series of connected and curated apps. What they don't picture is WHMCS/Blesta/HostBill provisioning DirectAdmin/cPanel accounts that have been stripped down a bit but are still, at their core, web hosting control panels.

The average user could be forgiven for thinking it's just stripped down shared web hosting, minus the web part. Because they can't see the elaborate things that happen when they send an email, it just gets delivered.

Originally the goal was to focus on that delivery. Just getting an email from A to B isn't as easy as it used to be. A single IP can almost never reach Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, AT&T, Verizon, and every other service. There's usually at least one or more services that give a self hosting user trouble (if they need to reach all of them). The goal was to use licensed software to bootstrap the front end while the real work went into the backend, making it easy for sysadmins to bow out of email delivery and just let me handle it

But later on regular people began signing up. They can't even wrap their mind around the idea that Roundcube has a contacts database and that none of the other webmail clients reference it. They don't understand why DirectAdmin has a DNS zone editor that has info they don't need. They don't understand why they can't just have a calendar as part of their email that works everywhere. They just want to log in to one place, have everything they mentally associate with email, and have it all integrated and connected. But when you're just installing a bunch of different open source software to give them webmail options, they don't understand why all of these random pieces are disconnected and standalone.

To give those people the user experience they expect, the front end of the service has to be built from the ground up with more front end dev work than I can do. At heart, I'm just a sysadmin, so I'll need to hire for this all eventually. I want a simple user experience that makes sense to the average user, but with the backend of the work we've done to make outbound delivery exceptional.

You might want to give a try to Afrerlogic Aurora Corporate.

Just an email solution + webdav + caldav + custom domain and many addons.

It works as email solution not hosting solution.

:smile:

Thanked by 1jar
    edited February 2022

@Fritz said: You might want to give a try to Afrerlogic Aurora Corporate solution just an email solution + webdav + caldav.

I have Afterlogic Pro on the servers but it's just one more thing disconnected from everything else, and I can't change how accounts are provisioned on a whim either as I need more than a single appliance can do with regards to outbound, etc. I also can't jump into giant per user costs for appliances that break my business model as then the appeal won't be there.

Corporate is $149/year for 10 users while I'm selling unlimited domains/users for $45/year. Might as well just put up an Exchange server at that point.

• @jar said:

@Fritz said: You might want to give a try to Afrerlogic Aurora Corporate solution just an email solution + webdav + caldav.

I have Afterlogic Pro on the servers but it's just one more thing disconnected from everything else, and I can't change how accounts are provisioned on a whim either as I need more than a single appliance can do with regards to outbound, etc. I also can't jump into giant per user costs for appliances that break my business model as then the appeal won't be there.

Corporate is $149/year for 10 users while I'm selling unlimited domains/users for $45/year. Might as well just put up an Exchange server at that point.

For me, DA is lack in many aspects to be used as an email solution.

Maybe you can combine stripped DA with 3rd party Dav like SabreDav and / or Baikal Dav.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jar said: When most people think of an email service they think of a series of connected and curated apps. What they don't picture is WHMCS/Blesta/HostBill provisioning DirectAdmin/cPanel accounts that have been stripped down a bit but are still, at their core, web hosting control panels.

Just a curious question, do you use the default DirectAdmin software stack (exim) for email outbound? did you made a lot of customization (patches) to it?

• @matheny said:

@jar said: When most people think of an email service they think of a series of connected and curated apps. What they don't picture is WHMCS/Blesta/HostBill provisioning DirectAdmin/cPanel accounts that have been stripped down a bit but are still, at their core, web hosting control panels.

Just a curious question, do you use the default DirectAdmin software stack (exim) for email outbound? did you made a lot of customization (patches) to it?

ifaik outbound from DA is exim. However, every email from MXroute goes through their internal relay made by ZoneMTA, which re-send bounced mails using multiple /24s, and if that fails, it falls back to a 3rd party relay (forgot the name)

Thanked by 2jar matheny

@matheny said:

@jar said: When most people think of an email service they think of a series of connected and curated apps. What they don't picture is WHMCS/Blesta/HostBill provisioning DirectAdmin/cPanel accounts that have been stripped down a bit but are still, at their core, web hosting control panels.

The outbound system is unique. It goes out to relays that retry delivery, automatically puts IPs in cool down state, and passes to third party (SpamWall) if all else fails. Basically pulling IP reputation off of the table. We paid for a service that did that all for us originally, but they halted way too many legitimate emails.

Thanked by 1matheny

@Fritz said:

@jar said:

For me, DA is lack in many aspects to be used as an email solution.

Maybe you can combine stripped DA with 3rd party Dav like SabreDav and / or Baikal Dav.

As it does to me too, but it fits the business model where nothing else does besides custom development. But MXroute was started with a credit card at 3am, it wasn't funded by any significant cash.

Dav I have at least with Afterlogic Pro, but that's not the final solution I want for the product, eventually everything will be unique and connected.

Thanked by 1Fritz
  • @jar said:
    To give those people the user experience they expect, the front end of the service has to be built from the ground up with more front end dev work than I can do. [...] I want a simple user experience that makes sense to the average user, but with the backend of the work we've done to make outbound delivery exceptional.

Thanks for the detailed response. So you're basically thinking of building a custom webmail that has better integration to your backend systems? If so, it might be worth investing in not just for your users, but for licensing to others(and resellers).

Im going to have more free time soon, so I'll definitely take a closer look at this.

Thanked by 1jar

@dararish said:

@jar said:
    To give those people the user experience they expect, the front end of the service has to be built from the ground up with more front end dev work than I can do. [...] I want a simple user experience that makes sense to the average user, but with the backend of the work we've done to make outbound delivery exceptional.

Thanks for the detailed response. So you're basically thinking of building a custom webmail that has better integration to your backend systems? If so, it might be worth investing in not just for your users, but for licensing to others(and resellers).

Im going to have more free time soon, so I'll definitely take a closer look at this.

That and a management panel for everything. Something closer to iredmail is what I want users to end up having for service management.

Thanked by 1AmplyImpure
  • moodwritermoodwriter Member
    edited February 2022

Quick question about nexusbytes e-mail hosting... can't find answer anywhere.

Is it possible for created e-mail users to change their e-mail passwords by themselves somehow without DA admin master acc password ???

I understand nexusbytes offer roundcube, rainloop and crossbox .

I found in google that its possible to change password via Roundcube, but I cannot confirm that - I have roundcube webmail elswhere and password changing option does not exist in settings there... perhaps its "feature" (enabled by hosting admins?)

Did opened pre-sales ticket some days ago (with other general questions, but never got any answer). So, not trying to open another one and asking here instead.

p.s. Just found somewhere else, that its possible to change passwords via DA like this: https://da.server.hostname.goes.here:2222/CMD_CHANGE_EMAIL_PASSWORD
    ^ hope thats works for nexusbytes too..

• alentoalento Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2022

Password changes by the end user are possible via Roundcube. It is a plug in that has to be enabled. MXroute has it enabled. @moodwriter

Thanked by 1moodwriter
  • sthostingsthosting Member, Patron Provider

@62Rz6z said:
    Hi, Am looking for email hosting, one domain only need 2-3 inboxes must allow catch-all, looking for a good company no small just opened company or one man company.

Hey!
    our E-Mail Hosting Packages would be perfect for your requirements :)

https://signaltransmitter.de/en/email