Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH, My solution to replace G Suite legacy free!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH, My solution to replace G Suite legacy free!

Since Google's announcement, I've been thinking about solutions to replace this service in an efficient way with a good quality-price ratio.

At first I thought about free services, like Yandex, 500mail, mail.ru, etc...

After thinking about it, I don't want a free service to be in the same situation as today in some time.

I looked at the shared offers and they offer hosting at 5.99€ with 250 GB of space, but especially 100 mail accounts with 5 GB of space each. You can use with 10 domains.

There is also a promo with an unlimited number of domains, 1000 mail accounts with 5 GB of space, 2GB of ram guaranteed, 1 vcore.

The price is 5€ per month, but I don't know if it's for one year or for the whole contract.

https://www.ovhcloud.com/fr/web-hosting/

Comments

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited February 2022

iirc outbound infrastructure isn’t really good for most webhosting companies. Is OVH using a single IP shared with their web hosting offering, or are they using some kind of SMTP relay?

May I also ask what kind of management panel they’re using (if any)?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Mentally strong people just run nc -l 25 and answer SMTP commands manually.
    No need to pay Google or OVH.
    All you need is an IP and a domain.

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited February 2022

@sanvit said:
    iirc outbound infrastructure isn’t really good for most webhosting companies. Is OVH using a single IP shared with their web hosting offering, or are they using some kind of SMTP relay?

When I used OVH MXplan years ago in the past the management was via OVH manager, OVH doesn't use just one IP they got a pool for IP used outgoing mail not sure how many ip but its more than 20-30 different ips.

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • @Razza said:

@sanvit said:

When I used OVH MXplan years ago in the past the management was via OVH manager, OVH doesn't use just one IP they got a pool for IP used outgoing mail not sure how many ip but its more than 20-30 different ips.

Any issues with email delivery?

• @Astro said:

@Razza said:

@sanvit said:

Any issues with email delivery?

Can't remember any major issue on deliverable, not used OVH for like 4 year plus so not sure if OVH is any good nowadays.

• The 50% discount for performance seems like only for 1 year :(

• edited February 2022

@yoursunny said:
    Mentally strong people just run nc -l 25 and answer SMTP commands manually.
    No need to pay Google or OVH.
    All you need is an IP and a domain.

That should be more 'physically' than 'mentally'.

That just reminded me of "Bruce Almighty 2003", where Bruce replies emails with Yahoo Mail, which predated Gmail.

gif is here

Thanked by 1yoursunny