Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mail Relay service/ SMTP server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mail Relay service/ SMTP server

Hi all,

So I have a zabbix monitoring box thats plugged into send smtp through a direct admin box however.... it also monitors the direct admin box amongst other things

So if the direct admin box goes down I'm unlikely to know as the email will have no where to go

What I'm looking for is an SMTP server that I can plug in to receive these alerts to a Gmail address..

I've looked at a few but they seem to be for "massive" volumes ... which I simply won't have

Does anyone know of an smtp service or offer an smtp service that I can make use of?

Thanks

Chip

Comments

• For low volume, you can use free gmail smtp.

Thanked by 1chip
  • AbdAbd Member, Patron Provider

Zeptomail or mail.baby

Thanked by 1chip
  • JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

Mailjet or mail.baby

Thanked by 1chip
  • pbxpbx Member
    edited February 2022

A cheap @MikePT lifetime could do the trick pretty well (I dislike lifetime deals though - sounds too scammy -, but it's not too expensive.). @jar's mxroute lowest plan would work fine as well.

Thanked by 1chip
  • SMTP2Go is free for up to 1000 emails per month which sounds like it should be sufficient for this use case.

Thanked by 2chip xetsys
  • AWS SES is dirt cheap - it’s $0.10 per 1,000 emails I believe?

Otherwise I’d recommend @jar ‘s service, MXRoute.

Thanked by 1chip
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

I use MXRoute for a low traffic site to send emails for user sign-ups and it's been perfect and super affordable

Thanked by 1chip
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

The usuals, mailjet/gun/chimp, sendgrid/inblue :smiley:

Thanked by 1chip
  • SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

@DP uses all .

Thanked by 1chip

@Saahib said:
    @DP uses all .

Not really.

I'm MXroute-d :smiley:

Thanked by 2cats chip

Using promotional deal or their regular package ?

Thanked by 1chip

@Saahib said:
    Using promotional deal or their regular package ?

It was a killer deal I grabbed some years ago for 50GB storage with unlimited domains/emails.

Thanked by 1chip

Lucky you.. I had few but now no more.

Thanked by 1chip
  • MXRoute's packages are awesome in general. I even use them to send emails on Paste.ee after SES had some delivery issues.

Thanked by 2jar chip
  • LoganoLogano Member
    edited February 2022

If you have an old Postmark account, they still let you buy and use credits with no monthly fee. New users can have 100 emails/mo. free or pay $10/mo.

Thanked by 1chip
  • @Logano said:
    If you have an old Postmark account, they still let you buy and use credits with no monthly fee. New users can have 100 emails/mo. free or pay $10/mo.

I also have the legacy postmark account, and I can confirm they are prem. They had the best email delivery rate I have ever seen.

Thanked by 2Logano chip
  • tomletomle Member, LIR

Why not send directly to Gmail? You can send over 587 with credentials.

Thanked by 1chip
  • @Daniel15 said:
    SMTP2Go is free for up to 1000 emails per month which sounds like it should be sufficient for this use case.

Thanks for that however I'm always dubious of "free" as they have to maintain the infrastructure, keep the ip's clean and pay staff.... and there letting me send 12,000 emails per year for free.... there has to be a catch?

I'd rather pay 0.10 to SES and know my low usage isn't really a cost for them and that 0.10 is adding to their profit margins somewhere

That might sound odd but I've found out the hard way in the past that if you aren't buying the product they are selling something your providing and effectively you are the product

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I'm biased but SES is really the one I can't legitimately slam. Everyone else I just replace part of their name with "spam" when referencing. You know, SpamGrid, Spam2Go, Spamjet, etc.

Trashy reputations really are a dime a dozen.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @chip said: Thanks for that however I'm always dubious of "free" as they have to maintain the infrastructure, keep the ip's clean and pay staff.... and there letting me send 12,000 emails per year for free.... there has to be a catch?

AFAIK they've got a lot of large corporate clients so it's like any freemium service: The paid users subsidise the free users. A lot of users would end up needing more than 1000 emails per month so the 1000 email free plan is more of a taster so people can experience their service.

@jar said: SES is really the one I can't legitimately slam.

Maybe it's better now, but I've gotten a bunch of spam through SES before. I reported it to Amazon and they didn't seem to do anything since I kept getting the same spam.

Thanked by 2jar kkrajk
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@JamesF said: mail.baby

I've never used it. How does it compare to MXRoute or Mailchannels, which I use.
    I'm asking as clients keep asking me for 'cheaper' alternatives, which I don't provide for now.

• vote for mail.baby very low cost and reliable
  • @chip said:
    Hi all,

So I have a zabbix monitoring box thats plugged into send smtp through a direct admin box however.... it also monitors the direct admin box amongst other things

So if the direct admin box goes down I'm unlikely to know as the email will have no where to go

What I'm looking for is an SMTP server that I can plug in to receive these alerts to a Gmail address..

I've looked at a few but they seem to be for "massive" volumes ... which I simply won't have

Does anyone know of an smtp service or offer an smtp service that I can make use of?

Thanks

Chip

You can try Amazon SES for free for the first 62,000 emails you send each month, and $0.10 for each 1,000 emails after that.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@CloudStacko said: You can try Amazon SES for free for the first 62,000 emails you send each month

No, that's only for emails sent from EC2 or Lambda.

• @Nyr - Thank you for correcting me; I mistakenly assumed we could send the first 62000 emails to other applications as well :smile: