Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do KVM VPS Providers Deal with Windows Licenses?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do KVM VPS Providers Deal with Windows Licenses?

With Hyper-V and a data center edition license, it seems easy for providers to auto provision a VPS including the license.

With KVM technology, how can they do auto-provisioning? Do they create one template with one license for all provisioned VPSes, or do they create many templates with different licenses in each one?

PS: I still don't fully understand the various Microsoft Windows licensing schemes for VPS.

Comments

• Maybe it is possible with cloud-init? 🤔

Thanked by 1laoban
  • I guess they can use Microsoft Volume licensing & setup a KMS server inside their network? Then setup their servers to either auto discover or initialized with the KMS activation information.

Thanked by 2yoursunny laoban
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

We made templates and charge extra when people use them.
    There are problems with that, of course...

Thanked by 1laoban
  • @Maounique said:
    We made templates and charge extra when people use them.
    There are problems with that, of course...

Can you share what are the problems?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

For example people can use the key elsewhere, it is easy to retrieve it from a working installation, or, simply copy the template to another VM without installing it from our templates via DD, or go the long way and install windows server and use the key from our templates...
    Other than that, it is pretty straightforward, make the templates with some kind of init script to reset everything including administrator password.

Thanked by 1laoban
  • The best solution for the provider is to get the end user to hold and handel its own windows license.

• @ServerCityAS said:
    The best solution for the provider is to get the end user to hold and handel its own windows license.

Are you collection posts to increase your count or why spamming under literally every thread right now?

• @webcraft said:

@ServerCityAS said:
    The best solution for the provider is to get the end user to hold and handel its own windows license.

Are you collection posts to increase your count or why spamming under literally every thread right now?

No, im try to add info to the forum, i have some spare time at work now, and i'm bored.