Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do any cheap KVM VPSs allow users to make and restore their backups and snapshots?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do any cheap KVM VPSs allow users to make and restore their backups and snapshots?

nickcnickc Member
edited February 2022 in Requests

I've been using an VPS that I found here 4 months ago, and while the performance vs price is exceptional, it is nothing short of a migraine headache dealing with backups/snapshots. Even with some exceptions and accommodations made by the owner/admin, I'm still left waiting for him to answer and address my tickets rather than being able to do these actions in 5 seconds on my own. I've been waiting nearly 24 hours now to be able to restore a backup, which no amount of cost savings can justify.

So, I'm wondering if some low cost VPS providers offer a more automated, user-accessible backend - allowing backups, snapshots, OS install, etc...? Or am I left going to the big guys, like Vultr, AWS, etc...?

Thanks!

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Virtualizor has backup/restore feature.
    I used it with @WebHorizon KVM service, but I don't have it anymore.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Get a slice!

Francisco

• TechoutTechout Member
    edited February 2022

@nickc said:
    I've been using an VPS that I found here 4 months ago, and while the performance vs price is exceptional, it is nothing short of a migraine headache dealing with backups/snapshots. Even with some exceptions and accommodations made by the owner/admin, I'm still left waiting for him to answer and address my tickets rather than being able to do these actions in 5 seconds on my own. I've been waiting nearly 24 hours now to be able to restore a backup, which no amount of cost savings can justify.

So, I'm wondering if some low cost VPS providers offer a more automated, user-accessible backend - allowing backups, snapshots, OS install, etc...? Or am I left going to the big guys, like Vultr, AWS, etc...?

Thanks!

I allow it on my host and prices are quite cheap.

• @Techout said:

@nickc said:

Thanks!

I allow it on my host and prices are quite cheap.

Get your provider tag first.

• @yoursunny said:

Thanks, but I'm not looking to set anything extra up. I want a provider who makes it easy for me to do what I need to do.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited February 2022

An example of provider with snapshots: Cloudcone.com - @Cloudcone

Another example: Lunanode.com - @perennate

Another example: Scaleway (not that reliable on the long run, because of known bad support, plus lots of price increase during active service).

Example may continue, but it's late and this is from the top of my head.

• moyashimoyashi Member
    edited February 2022

Contabo's VPS can take snapshots. It seems that the storage VPS does not support it.
    in addition,They also offer storage that can be accessed by FTP for backup as an option.
    https://contabo.com/en/vps/

• m4num4nu Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2022

I set up backups to my own BorgBase service once any important data is on a VPS. Selected folders and databases only. That feels more precise than full OS snapshots and I can pull a single file only, when needed. It also avoids having everything with that one provider.

That said there are a few providers that use BorgBase for their client’s snapshots. Mostly from the Minecraft and gamer space.

• maybe a solution,

I use runcloud, and also have some cheap vps from LET, so it doesn't matter if I buy cheap vps at LET, because the automatic backup & restore process is on the rundcloud side.

The backup can be at the web application level, database, or both.

• @Francisco buyvm.net gives 5 free Snapshots with every vps.

• @Francisco said:
    Get a slice!

Francisco

sold out! ;)

• @hyperblast said:

@Francisco said:
    Get a slice!

Francisco

sold out! ;)

That's how you can tell it's good.

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

We offer 2 snapshots for free with each VPS. But please note that the snapshot is not a backup, but a different story.

• @nickc said:

@yoursunny said:

Thanks, but I'm not looking to set anything extra up. I want a provider who makes it easy for me to do what I need to do.

Then it sounds like you want a provider who does backups for you

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@nickc said:

@yoursunny said:

You don't setup anything.
    You login to Virtualizor and click the backup/restore button.

The main limitation of Virtualizor backup is that you can only restore the whole disk; you cannot restore just a file.
    Hence, I only use this feature if I'm going to do a major upgrade, and I can restore to previous state if it goes sideways.

Thanked by 1nickc
  • iirc hetzner has snapshots/backups

at a fee of course

• nickcnickc Member
    edited February 2022

@Francisco said:
    Get a slice!

Francisco

I've been looking around your site and like what I see, but am confused as to why many of your links point to an enormously outdated wiki... e.g. https://wiki.buyvm.net/doku.php/sharedsql

In fact, it seems like your official knowledgebase is on that wiki, where seemingly all of the articles are quite old. Do you have a more up-to-date resource?