Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

List Hosts That Allow Torrents & IRC
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

List Hosts That Allow Torrents & IRC

maxexcloomaxexcloo Member
edited September 2011 in General

I thought it would be an interesting idea to make a list of hosts that allowed legal bittorrent and IRC activity, I'll start it off:

BuyVM (http://www.buyvm.net/)

Hostigation (http://www.hostigation.com/)

Thanks to anyone who contributes!

Comments

• prgmr http://www.prgmr.com - but their bandwidth offer seem too low.

• prefiber.nl and citynethost.com

(currently I don't have VPS from the second provider but they used to allow torrents if it's legal content)

P.S. does ramhost.us still allow legal torrents? they used to.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@ksx4system
    joking, right? citynethost does not allow IRC.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

That doesn't stop lots of people from doing it :)

There was a guy that used to come around our IRC channel (before we banned him) that used to BNC out of his citynet to efnet to go piss off the skiddies. He used to return SYN floods at them since he 'didnt care' about the setup (likely carded).

Francisco

• Haven't we done this already a couple of times now?

• Not sure, I couldn't remember seeing it on LETv3...

• Francisco said: There was a guy that used to come around our IRC channel (before we banned him) that used to BNC out of his citynet to efnet to go piss off the skiddies. He used to return SYN floods at them since he 'didnt care' about the setup (likely carded).

I can't seem to picture citynet outputting much bandwidth

Thanked by 1ksx4system
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

SYN is about high PPS not mbits :)

Francisco

• ksx4systemksx4system Member
    edited September 2011

@rm_: lol? so I probably didn't notice it, IRC worked there like a charm

P.S. this board software is really weird...

• ksx4system said: P.S. this board software is really weird...

In which way?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@ksx4system
    it works but it very specifically mentioned in their TOS so you risk getting your account terminated if they notice.

• @skagerrak: how do you exactly cite someone? i can't see any button for this (Opera browser)

• ksx4system said: how do you exactly cite someone? i can't see any button for this (Opera browser)

block the text you want to quote, and a pop up 'quote' button will show up ;)

Thanked by 1ksx4system
  • ksx4system said: how do you exactly cite someone?

Make use of Markdown.

• Still doesn't work in my FF. Both on the laptop with 3.6.20 and with the library's 5.something.

• skagerrakskagerrak Member
    edited September 2011

But Markdown is parsed by the board-software and rendered as normal HTML. So as long as you can see HTML-styled text it works.

And for the popup (with FF 3.6.20 and 3.6.21):
    And the popup

• yup, I see the quote button, click on it and the browser drops down to the comment form but nothing passes.

• drmike said: yup, I see the quote button, click on it and the browser drops down to the comment form but nothing passes.

It works with Firefox 5.0.1 in windows and Firefox 6.0.1 in Linux. maybe the problem is one of the firefox extensions.

• I;m stuck on various versions of 3. Both are pretty much empty addon wise,

Thanks though.

• drmike said: I;m stuck on various versions of 3.

me too. my mac mini powerpc not compatible with chrome and firefox 5/6 :( thankfully safari still available. :P

• ramnetramnet Member, Host Rep

@ksx4system yes we still allow legal torrents as long as you don't rape the hardware :)

We also allow IRC in select locations such as Atlanta and London and will begin allowing IRC in Kansas City and Los Angeles soon as well.

• May want to run it at a max of about 150kb/sec. That's what I do with mine.