Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM, OpenVZ, LXC, what hypervisor do you prefer?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM, OpenVZ, LXC, what hypervisor do you prefer?

Hi there,

What HyperVisor do you usually prefer out of the ones mentioned? Trying to collect opinions on the pros and cons regarding these, feel free to suggest others as well!

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

KVM, anything else is garbage.

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

It doesn’t matter for my purposes but if I were a provider I would definitely offer KVM

Thanked by 1Techout
  • There is no doubt that I definitely choose KVM

Thanked by 2Techout zhuyijun
  • OpenVZ and LXC are not hypervisor.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Did you need post count or something?

• z/VM

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Neoon said:

Creator of microLXC says microLXC is garbage.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@yoursunny said:

@Neoon said:

Creator of microLXC says microLXC is garbage.

• @rm_ said:
    Did you need post count or something?

No, I'm just wondering to see what I should provide as I currently mainly provide KVM only.

• I prefer the KVM & OVZ (depend of the usage type). Usually use KVM based VM's for my main machines, and OVZ for side and small tasks. Truly I like both :)
    I do not prefer LXC because of small and irritating 'deficiencies'.

Thanked by 1Techout
  • kvm ovz

Thanked by 1Techout
  • If you getting KVM box with OVZ or LXC price, why not ??

• VirtualBox

Thanked by 1paco
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited February 2022

From a provider, KVM is best. VMWare and Xen are fine too. Definitely not OpenVZ.

For my own use cases, LXC (which is containerization rather than virtualization) is useful, but these days I mainly just use Docker containers instead.

• kvm

• I'm using VPS of OVZ as my main for now. By the way, the tool running on VPS is run on docker container. I'm thinking of moving to KVM VPS on LXD container by April of this year.

• edited February 2022

OVZ6 worked well for me for over a decade but I only consider KVM for new servers now. I don't know about OVZ7 but OVZ6 was never as stable as KVM. I also ran into incompatibility issues once in awhile that would cause headaches.

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider

Openvz. I would pay more for it. It uses less resources and you can upgrade/downgrade disk, cpu, memory without rebooting! It's very useful for scaling projects where uptime is critical

Thanked by 1Techout
  • KVM only

• Surprised there aren’t any systemd-nspawn providers yet

• @ezeth said:
    Openvz. I would pay more for it. It uses less resources and you can upgrade/downgrade disk, cpu, memory without rebooting! It's very useful for scaling projects where uptime is critical

KVM supports encryption, so ovz would only be an option if you trust your provider to not be sniffy.

• @webcraft said:

@ezeth said:

KVM supports encryption, so ovz would only be an option if you trust your provider to not be sniffy.

It is easy for a provider to bypass encryption in KVM, there are even off the shelf scripts to do so

• @ezeth said:

I didn't know that it can downgrade disk, that's actually quite nice!

• WalkenWalken Member
    edited February 2022

VMware ESXi

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@darkimmortal said:
    Surprised there aren’t any systemd-nspawn providers yet

I read about it and find it interesting.
    Shall I be the first to offer such a service?

• KVM without a doubt

• I no doubt choose KVM :)

• @ezeth said:

your are again most people,so I didnot buy one vps from yours

• edited February 2022

@ezeth said:

Less resources is the one and only advantage. Not worth the extra hassle of learning all the proprietary things about it. With KVM being the defacto standard there is a lot more info how to do everything. With cheap SSD drives the resources issue isn't that big a deal anymore.

Thanked by 2yoursunny zhuyijun
  • Both OpenVZ and LXC are container technologies and aren't really virtualization. It's really in the same league as FreeBSD jails or Docker.

KVM is the same league as Bhyve, HyperV, Xen or VMWare instead.

Thanked by 2zhuyijun Techout