Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions regarding MXRoute.com
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Questions regarding MXRoute.com

Due to the whole google fiasco, I'm thinking of finally switching to MXRoute. However they do not seem to offer demo account (none that I could find), and no refund policy either. So just a few questions for those who are using it.

1. Do they allow catchall email accounts?
  2. Do they allow sending of emails from alternate aliases under same/different domains? Like [email protected] sending email with the sender as [email protected]?
  3. Did you notice any delays in emails being sent/received?
  4. How good is the spam filtering? Do they reject any suspected spam emails or deliver it to spam folder like gmail?
  5. Any issues with server availability?

I am not looking for the best email service out there. I just need something to match my needs. With my technical knowledge, setting up a email server is easy. Spam filtering? God no. As for setting up incoming and outgoing separately, no idea how to do it and rather not get into it (since, again, no knowledge regarding emails and routing and stuff).

Your response is appreciated.

Comments

• 1 - yes as long as it did not affect server performance
    2 - not yet tried, but envelope address is working
    3 - only to gmail, their internal route taking provess sround 5 minutes
    4 - yes, you can send it to spam folder, you could send it to nothing. You could adjust spam filter score, personally I use score of 4.1
    5 - 99.9% mostly available for me. You can check https://accounts.mxroute.com/index.php?/status/ or https://status.mxroute.com

Thanked by 1somik
    1. yes
    2. yes, although I only send outbound as a relay through them.
    3. no
    4. Good if you make some adjustments yourself, which is easy to do. A bit loose otherwise
    5. Never noticed when/if there was any downtime in the last 3 years.

Personally I think it is a real good service and worth much more then they charge you for it.

Thanked by 1somik
  • somiksomik Member
    edited February 2022

@chocolateshirt said:

What is a envelope address?

Also, sending to gmail takes 5 mins or receiving from gmail takes 5 mins? I'm not much worried about emails being sent out as I rarely ever email. I'm more worried about incoming emails.

@FrankZ said:
    4. Good if you make some adjustments yourself, which is easy to do. A bit loose otherwise

Not sure how to do that but I guess i'll follow @chocolateshirt idea and set it around 4 somehting.

• @somik said:

@chocolateshirt said:

https://www.xeams.com/difference-envelope-header.htm

Also, sending to gmail takes 5 mins or receiving from gmail takes 5 mins? I'm not much worried about emails being sent out as I rarely ever email. I'm more worried about incoming emails.

Sending to gmail, you can check the route themself by click Show Original Message on Gmail webui, gmail process will take around 5 minutes

No issue so far receiving email from gmail, outlook or other mail services.

Thanked by 1somik
  • In my experience (got a BF deal) it has been pretty much set and forget. I just added another domain the other day and it was very easy. They also have a selection of different webmail clients that is nice to have. For the price it definitely beats having to do it myself even though I am capable.

Thanked by 1somik
  • RazzaRazza Member
    edited February 2022

@chocolateshirt said: Sending to gmail, you can check the route themself by click Show Original Message on Gmail webui, gmail process will take around 5 minutes

I just use Mxroute for just outgoing never seen it take anywhere like 5 min to Google, even when Mxroute used Mailchannels in the past which was slower for delivery didn't take 5 mins , just sent a test email via Mxroute to my Gmail address Delivered after 4 seconds.

Thanked by 2chocolateshirt somik
  • bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@chocolateshirt said:

@somik said:

@chocolateshirt said:

https://www.xeams.com/difference-envelope-header.htm

Sending to gmail, you can check the route themself by click Show Original Message on Gmail webui, gmail process will take around 5 minutes

No issue so far receiving email from gmail, outlook or other mail services.

There is a delay sending to gmail but not 5 minutes for me

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Razza said:

@chocolateshirt said: Sending to gmail, you can check the route themself by click Show Original Message on Gmail webui, gmail process will take around 5 minutes

I just use Mxroute for just outgoing never seen it take anywhere like 5 min to Google, even when Mxroute used Mailchannels in the past which was slower for delivery didn't take 5 mins , just sent a test email via Mxroute to my Gmail address Delivered after 4 seconds.

It's hit or miss. I've documented them holding email in between their own servers for up to 5 minutes before delivering to the end user's inbox.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@jar said: It's hit or miss. I've documented them holding email in between their own servers for up to 5 minutes before delivering to the end user's inbox.

Is this dependent on the domain name instead of IP? I mean If in the past the domain was associated with a bad IP and now using MX, does this effect delivery to Gmail?

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2022

@somik said:

2. Do they allow sending of emails from alternate aliases under same/different domains? Like [email protected] sending email with the sender as [email protected]?
    4. How good is the spam filtering? Do they reject any suspected spam emails or deliver it to spam folder like gmail?

I am not looking for the best email service out there. I just need something to match my needs. With my technical knowledge, setting up a email server is easy. Spam filtering? God no. As for setting up incoming and outgoing separately, no idea how to do it and rather not get into it (since, again, no knowledge regarding emails and routing and stuff).

Your response is appreciated.

1. Yes, but discourages its usage, you may see their docs,
    2. Never tried but should work
    3. Never saw any delay (although @jar is expert here, he knows better), delivery generally within a minute.
    4. So far good, you can also adjust spam filtering form DA control panel
    5. No, generally taken care very quickly.

Other than that, if you go by their terms then you are good to go, good value for money. Although you may need to go through trial and error to customize or do branding of front-end (if you use) , if done correctly, its nice. And now documentation is also good enough.

EDIT:
    They use DirectAdmin as control panel, so you can do pretty much everything about mail which you can do in any regular DA mail config.

Thanked by 1somik
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2022

@Arkas said:

@jar said: It's hit or miss. I've documented them holding email in between their own servers for up to 5 minutes before delivering to the end user's inbox.

Is this dependent on the domain name instead of IP? I mean If in the past the domain was associated with a bad IP and now using MX, does this effect delivery to Gmail?

It's irrelevant to sending domain or IP. It's an infrastructure load issue I'd guess. You can read in their headers where they had a delay between Server A and B where both A and B were their servers.

Old reference: https://web.archive.org/web/20201205182705/https://mxroute.com/delayed-delivery-to-gmail/

Thanked by 2Arkas somik
  • Answer regarding MXRoute.com: premium

• I don't think it's that slow. Imagine signed in on some service with 2fa and you need to wait 5 minutes to receive the email.

By the time the email arrived, it's already expired.

Thanked by 1somik
  • emgemg Veteran
    edited February 2022

1. Yes.
    2. Yes. I do it routinely from the domain at MxRoute, as well as using MxRoute to send from alternate email addresses with other domains that MxRoute does not host.
    3. No.
    4. I don't know. I disable spam filtering as much as possible to avoid missing something important.
    5. No.

MxRoute has been exceptionally easy and reliable for me. I highly recommend them for basic email. Good, hardworking people run it.

The one feature that is missing is the ability to backup and restore email addresses, forwarders, etc. It used to be available in cPanel, but was lost when they switched to DirectAdmin. You can script it yourself through the DirectAdmin APIs, but that's a lot of extra work for each customer to do on their own. A common solution that everyone can use would be much better.

Thanked by 1somik