Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wireguard vs OpenVPN
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wireguard vs OpenVPN

Hey everyone,

What do you think is best? Wireguard or OpenVPN? Feel free to suggest alternatives to these in the comments too!

Thanks.

Wireguard vs OpenVPN
  1. Wireguard or OpenVPN62 votes
    1. Wireguard
      91.94%
    2. OpenVPN
        8.06%

Comments

• PPTP, obviously. Microsoft designed it to be super secure /s

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

It depends on the use case.

WireGuard is a very barebones protocol while OpenVPN has lots of features and is very flexible regarding configuration.

It is like comparing apples and oranges. They are both VPN software, but similarities end there.

Thanked by 3VayVayKa morreke raynor
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

OpenVPN adds latency, Wireguard has negative latency.
    Your choice.

• WireGuard has a lot better speeds, but it wont work on everything (for example OpenVZ, some old routers).

• I was in a hotel once and they actively blocked udp it seemed. Since then, I have both installed on the same vps, just in case. But wireguard is easy to use and faster for my needs.

• VayVayKaVayVayKa Member
    edited February 2022

In a hostile environment, OpenVPN on 443/TCP with tls-crypt enabled will be blocked last.

Thanked by 1niknar1900
  • Really depends on your use case, OpenVPN is slow but has more features. If you just want a simple, fast, secure tunnel, Wireguard is the way to go.

• Still love L2TP :smiley:

+1 Wireguard

• @AXYZE said:
    WireGuard has a lot better speeds, but it wont work on everything (for example OpenVZ, some old routers).

It works on OpenVZ if kernel support is enabled. Boomer.host for example does this.

• @VayVayKa said:
    In a hostile environment, OpenVPN on 443/TCP with tls-crypt enabled will be blocked last.

Why not just use Shadowsocks at that point?

• @the_doctor said:

@VayVayKa said:

Because we are talking about VPNs and their advantages/disadvantages out of the box, and not about ways to overcome censorship in general.

• Well I install both on my servers, depends the situation which one to use.. run them on different ports so they dont have to VS.. lol

• @VayVayKa said:

@the_doctor said:

@VayVayKa said:

Because we are talking about VPNs and their advantages/disadvantages out of the box, and not about ways to overcome censorship in general.

Shadowsocks works out of the box too.

You can be up and running in 2 minutes using the open source Outline project:

https://getoutline.org/

• The only thing that I don't like on wireguard is that you can't route multicast so no L2 support for Wireguard

• @the_doctor said:

@VayVayKa said:

@the_doctor said:

@VayVayKa said:

Shadowsocks ≠ VPN

• @the_doctor said:

I love Outline for its easy setup, but it seems to be wayyy slower than Wireguard for me. All 3 of my Korean VPSes max out at about 10Mbps on a good day and <1Mbps on a bad one using Outline, whereas Wireguard on the same servers blast through the pipes (lol) at 30-55Mbps (my internet connection is 60Mbps).

Two of the servers are running Ubuntu 20.04 while one is running Ubuntu 18.04. Pings to the respective servers are stable at 120-280ms due to routing and distance.

My office computer doesn't want to connect to one of the VPSes via Wireguard, though, which is weird. It connects fine via Outline.

• @Logano said:

@the_doctor said:

I love Outline for its easy setup, but it seems to be wayyy slower than Wireguard for me. All 3 of my Korean VPSes max out at about 10Mbps on a good day and <1Mbps on a bad one using Outline, whereas Wireguard on the same servers blast through the pipes (lol) at 30-55Mbps (my internet connection is 60Mbps).

Two of the servers are running Ubuntu 20.04 while one is running Ubuntu 18.04. Pings to the respective servers are stable at 120-280ms due to routing and distance.

My office computer doesn't want to connect to one of the VPSes via Wireguard, though, which is weird. It connects fine via Outline.

Could be as @VayVayKa points out, it's a proxy and not a real VPN.

When I'm in China I use Outline though, as it's the only technology that reliably gets me outside The Great Firewall.

Thanked by 1Logano
  • I prefer wireguard for its simplicity and speed. I only use openvpn when, like, udp is blocked or the endpoint is an old system that can’t handle wg.

• OvearOvear Member
    edited February 2022

Wireguard is a good choice if isp doesn't limit udp connection.

Thanked by 1VayVayKa