Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xrdp Requirements
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Xrdp Requirements

XenosXenos Member

I use xrdp to connect to virtual servers in my home lab and it works perfectly, but when I installed it on a virtual server located in another country with what I consider good latency for the distance the lag makes it difficult to use. What specifications and limitations do I need to consider for a better xrdp experience?

Comments

• It's hard to say with VMs. Even if the network latency is low, you might be impacted by your neighbors eating up disk R/W, memory, or bandwidth.

For casual use on a dedicated server, I find around 100—150 ms latency tolerable. Not for constant everyday use, though.

While it probably can run on much less, I'd say at least 2 GB RAM. 4+ if you plan to use web browsers with lots of tabs and some other apps running at the same time. Think of it like a physical computer.

Thanked by 1Xenos
  • @Dupondt said:
    It's hard to say with VMs. Even if the network latency is low, you might be impacted by your neighbors eating up disk R/W, memory, or bandwidth.

For casual use on a dedicated server, I find around 100—150 ms latency tolerable. Not for constant everyday use, though.

While it probably can run on much less, I'd say at least 2 GB RAM. 4+ if you plan to use web browsers with lots of tabs and some other apps running at the same time. Think of it like a physical computer.

I feel like you read my mind. The latency is 150ms for the most part and the VPS has 4GB RAM. As you said, maybe the host node is overloaded which is causing the issue. A VPS with lower latency probably would not be any better if that was the case.

• Even in 50ms Xrdp didn't worked very well for me. Where's Windows RDP works pretty well in around 150ms. Now I am using NoMachine for Linux. The experience is not as good as Windows but usable.

Thanked by 1Andrey11
  • XenosXenos Member
    edited January 2022

@Hakim said:
    Even in 50ms Xrdp didn't worked very well for me. Where's Windows RDP works pretty well in around 150ms. Now I am using NoMachine for Linux. The experience is not as good as Windows but usable.

I tried NoMachine on my home network and had lag issues. Windows RDP usually works good, but it lags on the VPS as well.

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2022

I used the oneclickdesktop (which I believe uses deep) script from GitHub on my giveaway racknerd ryzen VPS and it is pretty usable in the browser client. It’s 2 (oversold) cores and 2gb ram, and it runs fine. The server is in Dallas and I’m in North Carolina right now

Thanked by 2Xenos Logano
  • mhnmhn Member

Use Chrome Remote Desktop for high latency, it's the best you can use in this case.

• x2go is the way to go.