Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jellyfin on PulsedMedia box
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Jellyfin on PulsedMedia box

Does anyone have slightly more detailed instructions on how to get jellyfin running on the seedbox? I can't get it running by reading the ones on the site.

Comments

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2022

a customer posted this, he had seen this somewhere and direct copy paste, note that ffmpeg is already installed and you should not need that step:

FFMPEG:
    mkdir -p ~/bin && bash
    wget -qO ~/ffmpeg.tar.xz https://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/builds/ffmpeg-git-amd64-static.tar.xz
    tar xf ~/ffmpeg.tar.xz && cd && rm -rf ffmpeg--amd64-static/{manpages,presets,readme.txt}
    cp ~/ffmpeg- -amd64-static/* ~/bin
    chmod 700 ~/bin/{ffmpeg,ffprobe,qt-faststart}
    cd && rm -rf ffmpeg{.tar.xz,-*-amd64-static}

Jellyfin:
    mkdir ~/opt/jellyfin
    cd ~/opt/jellyfin
    wget https://repo.jellyfin.org/releases/server/linux/stable/combined/jellyfin_10.7.7_amd64.tar.gz <---- newest version (21.01.2022)
    tar xvzf jellyfin_10.7.7_amd64.tar.gz
    ln -s jellyfin_10.7.7 jellyfin
    mkdir data cache config log

Script + executable:
    cd
    nano ~/jellyfin.sh

Paste to jellyfin.sh:
    !/bin/bash
    JELLYFINDIR=$(pwd)"/opt/jellyfin"
    FFMPEGDIR=$(pwd)"/bin/ffmpeg"

$JELLYFINDIR/jellyfin/jellyfin \
    -d $JELLYFINDIR/data \
    -C $JELLYFINDIR/cache \
    -c $JELLYFINDIR/config \
    -l $JELLYFINDIR/log \
    --ffmpeg $FFMPEGDIR/ffmpeg && echo -e "\nhttp://$(hostname -f):$(sed -rn 's|(.)(. )<\/PublicPort>|\2|p' $JELLYFINDIR/config/system.xml)"

Close and save.

Privileges:
    chmod u+x jellyfin.sh

Run:
    ./jellyfin.sh

No idea of the origins etc.
    We really should make the one click installer for this and emby :/ and *arr etc.

Thanked by 2Astro ServerNotFound
  • @PulsedMedia thank you! Quite honestly if you get a one click installer, you could possible get customers to choose you over ultra and whatbox

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
    edited January 2022

@Astro said:
    @PulsedMedia thank you! Quite honestly if you get a one click installer, you could possible get customers to choose you over ultra and whatbox

Thanks!

Anyone find us a skilled developer and we shall do so immediately and reward him/her handsomely and the referrer too as that person has proven themselves. Seriously, our stuff is open source to begin with, all one needs is a VM, install our seedbox software, dev whatever they need to and submit diffs to our support. (Ugh, maybe push this stuff to GIT eventually too). The closed source portions are the backend (inc. some server maintenance & optimization stuff) and GUI only -- essentially the stuff you need to utilize it as a business instead of just running your own server. Anyone can install it for their own server. Wiki: https://wiki.pulsedmedia.com/index.php/PM_Software_Stack

Just cannot find the time, today i spent the whole day on networking stuff. Ought to have been fast job with time to build servers, but alas too many newbs involved, me included on that particular network stuff :D (oh and we didn't even finish!). That networking stuff will require some deep analytical big data coding eventually too, and the nerd inside me finds coding stuff which is on the forefront of what anyone does much more interesting than basic installers, refactoring and maintenance code :/

-Aleksi

• @PulsedMedia said:

@Astro said:
    @PulsedMedia thank you! Quite honestly if you get a one click installer, you could possible get customers to choose you over ultra and whatbox

Thanks!

Anyone find us a skilled developer and we shall do so immediately and reward him/her handsomely and the referrer too as that person has proven themselves. Seriously, our stuff is open source to begin with, all one needs is a VM, install our seedbox software, dev whatever they need to and submit diffs to our support. (Ugh, maybe push this stuff to GIT eventually too). The closed source portions are the backend (inc. some server maintenance & optimization stuff) and GUI only -- essentially the stuff you need to utilize it as a business instead of just running your own server. Anyone can install it for their own server. Wiki: https://wiki.pulsedmedia.com/index.php/PM_Software_Stack

Just cannot find the time, today i spent the whole day on networking stuff. Ought to have been fast job with time to build servers, but alas too many newbs involved, me included on that particular network stuff :D (oh and we didn't even finish!). That networking stuff will require some deep analytical big data coding eventually too, and the nerd inside me finds coding stuff which is on the forefront of what anyone does much more interesting than basic installers, refactoring and maintenance code :/

-Aleksi

Makes sense! Aleksi are there any sales planned prior to BF? Hoping to pickup a larger box! I was lucky enough to pick one of the 1TB boxes during BF but when you go down the rabbit hole 1TB just doesn't seem enough.

@Astro said:

@PulsedMedia said:

@Astro said:

Thanks!

-Aleksi

Makes sense! Aleksi are there any sales planned prior to BF? Hoping to pickup a larger box! I was lucky enough to pick one of the 1TB boxes during BF but when you go down the rabbit hole 1TB just doesn't seem enough.

LOL! Indeed 1TB ain't much storage these days.

Let's just say we just installed 2 racks worth of new servers, 3rd is being assembled now (should finish by end of Feb). All outfitted with only 10G servers, petabytes upon petabytes of drives and we are about to hit 12th anniversary shortly ... ;)

We are upgrading hardware left and right as fast as we can, hiring new staff etc. so there's quite a bit of pressure to get sales much higher than they currently are. The SSD lineup is now 100% Ryzen too. M10G is up next, nodes are just waiting for proper heatsinks, racking and final QA. By end of march installing even more cooling too.

I often think stuff is going too slowly, then you look back and realize just how much stuff is going on for a small business like ours. We are taking steps to grow to next level. Wish us luck!

-Aleksi

• @PulsedMedia said: mkdir ~/opt/jellyfin

seems like we dont have persmition do to this step, anyway to get around this?

• @ServerNotFound said:

@PulsedMedia said: mkdir ~/opt/jellyfin

It wouldn't work for me at first, but making the opt directory and then the jellyfin directory inside of opt worked for me.

• @iNanja said:

@ServerNotFound said:

It wouldn't work for me at first, but making the opt directory and then the jellyfin directory inside of opt worked for me.

what port gave you access to the web UI?

@ServerNotFound said:

@iNanja said:

@ServerNotFound said:

what port gave you access to the web UI?

randomize it

• edited February 2022

@PulsedMedia what are your thoughts of just having everything running on Docker/Podman? I believe that's how Ultra.cc does their one-click installs. It seems simpler than having to reinvent the wheel for every app.

It's way easier to update too, and health checks are easy instead of having a cron job check if a process exists.

I remember your services having great value storage-wise but setting up apps require some sort of compilation if the mono version isn't updated (I remember having this issue on one of your older Debian boxes), or not knowing why an app suddenly closed itself.

• @PulsedMedia all the best, Aleksi!

Thanked by 1Ganonk
  • @PulsedMedia How can I reset my seedbox account, due to I made a wrong Path file, so I cannot execute any command.

• @singhigh said:
    @PulsedMedia How can I reset my seedbox account, due to I made a wrong Path file, so I cannot execute any command.

Ticket is the best way to go.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@definitelyliam said:
    @PulsedMedia what are your thoughts of just having everything running on Docker/Podman? It seems simpler than having to reinvent the wheel for every app.

Docker has security implications on a multi-tenant environment.
    Allowing a non-root user to access the Docker daemon is equivalent to granting them root privilege.

It's way easier to update too, and health checks are easy instead of having a cron job check if a process exists.

I hope health checks can use systems user instance.
    It's more efficient than cron or SCREEN.

I remember your services having great value storage-wise but setting up apps require some sort of compilation if the mono version isn't updated (I remember having this issue on one of your older Debian boxes), or not knowing why an app suddenly closed itself.

LXC container for everyone?

• Default template provides the seedbox software.
    • Other templates available but there's no seedbox software.
    • User has root inside the LXC.
    • If user messes up, they can reinstall from control panel.
    • /data folder is kept between reinstalls, so that user doesn't lose their 16TB.
    • Nested containerization enabled, so that user can have Docker if they desire.

@yoursunny said:

@definitelyliam said:
    @PulsedMedia what are your thoughts of just having everything running on Docker/Podman? It seems simpler than having to reinvent the wheel for every app.

Allowing a non-root user to access the Docker daemon is equivalent to granting them root privilege.

LXC container for everyone?

• Default template provides the seedbox software.
    • Other templates available but there's no seedbox software.
    • User has root inside the LXC.
    • If user messes up, they can reinstall from control panel.
    • /data folder is kept between reinstalls, so that user doesn't lose their 16TB.
    • Nested containerization enabled, so that user can have Docker if they desire.

Nested LXC might work, should do some testing.

• @PulsedMedia said:

@Astro said:

Thanks!

-Aleksi

I am a developer with knowledge of linux system administration, I might wanna give it a shot.
    Where is your code hosted?

• @yoursunny said:

@definitelyliam said:

I guess. Never really tried Docker on a shared environment so yeah, probably not a good call. I thought Podman resolved those issues though? Just thought it would be useful so that dependencies are built in the correct version without having to worry about the OS's versions.

Forgot that this exists. Yeah, this is way better. Anything is better than a screen-powered setup.

Sorry for straying away from the original topic. I just saw the instructions to set up FFMPEG binaries and I immediately thought of Docker.

Thanked by 1skorous
  • @Astro said:

@singhigh said:
    @PulsedMedia How can I reset my seedbox account, due to I made a wrong Path file, so I cannot execute any command.

Ticket is the best way to go.

Ticketed, however, reply is very slow, OK wait is an option :)

• @PulsedMedia said:

@Astro said:

Thanks!

-Aleksi

I can take a l look, please PM the repo. Should be easy with ansible.

• Does anyone have ideas on how one might install sonarr v3, radarr v3 the same way w/o root, like where to get the dependencies and how to configure it? I believe the instructions on pulsed wiki won't work for v3 and also not for radarr. Thanks in advance.

edited February 2022

@sdsbirdman said:

@PulsedMedia said:

@Astro said:

Thanks!

-Aleksi

I can take a l look, please PM the repo. Should be easy with ansible.

Awesome!

Changelog & Base info: https://wiki.pulsedmedia.com/index.php/PM_Software_Stack
    Install info: https://wiki.pulsedmedia.com/index.php/Installing_PM_Software_Stack
    Usage guides: https://wiki.pulsedmedia.com/index.php/Category:PM_Software_Stack_Guides

TL;DR; Spinup Debian 10 minimal VM, run install.sh script. 3 questions: FQDN, Quota setup, Network info. Reboot and done :)

There actually is no public repo ... We should push it all to github, but alas, since this has been working for us ... Basicly we have our own very basic versioning on the backend. Just PM / Ticket us the changes (ie. diff patches), we will commit them once reviewed.

On long term we will push things to github if there is multiple devs making PRs.

• @PulsedMedia said: cp ~/ffmpeg- -amd64-static/* ~/bin

it returns
    cp: invalid option -- 'm'
    Try 'cp --help' for more information.

what do I do here?

• @Grufunkel said:

@PulsedMedia said: cp ~/ffmpeg- -amd64-static/* ~/bin

it returns
    cp: invalid option -- 'm'
    Try 'cp --help' for more information.

what do I do here?

There is no space between the dashes

• GrufunkelGrufunkel Member
    edited February 2022

cp ~/ffmpeg--amd64-static/* ~/bin
    cp: cannot stat '/home/user/ffmpeg--amd64-static/*': No such file or directory

• Well did you downloaded it? also check the name, can be different then ffmpeg--amd64-static/

• I followed the above instructions.

• emperoremperor Member
    edited February 2022

Well.. if you followed it also read this line :
    note that ffmpeg is already installed and you should not need that step:

whereis ffmpeg
    ffmpeg: /usr/bin/ffmpeg /usr/share/ffmpeg /usr/share/man/man1/ffmpeg.1.gz

This is on my servers.. so in the jellyfin you can point to this location on the ffmpeg page

Thanked by 1Grufunkel
  • Thanks. I tried this one. But it returned error, not found

@emperor said: /usr/bin/ffmpeg

@Grufunkel said:
    Thanks. I tried this one. But it returned error, not found

@emperor said: /usr/bin/ffmpeg

Uhm, every server has ffmpeg and it's so commonly used i don't think by error there would be one without. Screenshot?

• 22:18:57] [WRN] [1] MediaBrowser.MediaEncoding.Encoder.MediaEncoder: FFmpeg: SetByArgument: File not found: $/usr/bin/ffmpeg