Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner: Price change for servers from the Server Auction - Our offer for you!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner: Price change for servers from the Server Auction - Our offer for you!

xrzxrz Member
edited January 2022 in Providers

Anyone got this mail? :) I dont blaming Hetzner...
Idk if upgrade or not, too much to backup and restore :(

Dear Mrs ****

We wrote an email to you on ** January 2022 about a price change for servers from the Server Auction.

We have been reading the comments and reactions to our email with great interest and have been discussing it internally. We understand that a number of our customers felt that we did not communicate this information in a timely and transparent manner. And for that, we are sorry. Naturally, we want our customers to have enough time to react to this news and to have a clear understanding of why we made this change. We would like to comment again on this below.

In addition, we have decided to make you a short-term offer to switch from your affected Server Auction model to one of the servers from our AX or EX lines. You can read more about this offer at the end of this email.

For years, the increasing energy costs in Germany have become a major factor in our overall operating costs, and they put us at a serious disadvantage compared to our international competitors. We watched the development of electricity prices at the end of last year with great concern, and discussed various possible scenarios for how we could adapt to them. In the end, we decided to bear the additional costs for a large number of our product lines ourselves, and to not pass the costs onto our customers.

However, to do this, a price adjustment for some servers from the Server Auction were unavoidable. The prices for these servers were the same as the operating costs before the electricity cost increase. We calculated the price change for each individual model based on the hardware installed in each one. This is what led to the large differences in the price increase percentages.

Our goal was to inform our affected customers about the price changes as quickly and clearly as possible. We wanted customers to have time to consider their options, and to make a decision before the new prices came into affect in March. We decided to bear the additional energy costs entirely on our own between when we made the announcement and when the new prices come into effect in March.

We strive every day to live up to our own high standards as a service provider, and to do so while facing sometimes difficult economic realities. We take constructive criticism from our employees and customers very seriously and are always ready to reflect on and our actions and to make improvements.

We are making the following offer to every customer who is affected by the current price increase: Would you like to move your server from the server auction to any model of our AX or EX series? If yes, you have the opportunity until 31 July 2022 to switch to any AX or EX server without any setup costs. We will pay the setup fees, which vary up to € 119.00 without VAT, for you.

You can find overviews and details about the EX and AX server models at:

https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/matrix-ex

https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/matrix-ax

If you choose our offer, please carefully read https://docs.hetzner.com/robot/dedicated-server/general-information/root-server-upgrade/

Since we want to make the switch as easy as possible for you, we need in your order next to the information on the upgrade variant (see point 4 of the upgrade options), only the following additional note in the comment field on the last page of the order form:

"My server [server number] is affected by the price increase - Therefore, there is no setup fee"

We hope that you will continue to remain with us as a valued customer.

Kind regards

Hetzner Online

Comments

• i got the email. I've already cancelled my server.

• cybertechcybertech Member
    edited January 2022
    We will pay the setup fees, which vary up to € 119.00 
    without VAT, for you.

yeah hetzner, i really wanna see you pay that.

• handyhosthandyhost Member, Host Rep

got this as well

• I wish they offered me something better. I am cancelling one of my server.

• NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

I got it too. But I didn't understand: From the 4 options, we can only choose the 4th or any of the 4?

• NO, Thank You, already cancelled.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@cybertech said:

We will pay the setup fees, which vary up to € 119.00 
    > without VAT, for you.

yeah hetzner, i really wanna see you pay that.

Well, they already do? Servers don’t assemble, rack and maintain themselves. If that cost is calculated in the setup fee rather than MRC, then clearly they are “paying them” on behalf of the Customer, if they are waving them.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

@NetDynamics24 said:
    I got it too. But I didn't understand: From the 4 options, we can only choose the 4th or any of the 4?

This fourth option is the only one that you can choose if you want to take your IPs with you to your new server. I believe that option 3 is not possible because it is not possible to put the new servers in the racks for the old Server Auction servers. And options 1 and 2 do not apply if you want to transfer your IPs to the new server. --Katie

Thanked by 1NetDynamics24

@cybertech said: yeah hetzner, i really wanna see you pay that.

This is a genuine offer and we stand by it. --Katie

@Hetzner_OL said:
    This fourth option is the only one that you can choose if you want to take your IPs with you to your new server. I believe that option 3 is not possible because it is not possible to put the new servers in the racks for the old Server Auction servers. And options 1 and 2 do not apply if you want to transfer your IPs to the new server. --Katie

But if I don't need the same IP, I can choose any of the other options, right?

@NetDynamics24 said: But if I don't need the same IP, I can choose any of the other options, right?

Yes, I believe so. If you have any questions about the details of the offer, please write directly to our support team by writing a support request on Robot. --Katie

• Does those "v-servers" (actually, those vps) have option for nested environment? They should and for free, because, most of the dedicated servers do have virtual instances on them, so, switching from dedi to a vps without the ability to transfer, e.g., a proxmox instance, is useless.

@jvnadr - Unfortunately, there is no nesting environment enabled on our cloud servers. We understand that the cloud servers do not meet all the same requirements that the Auction Servers did, but they may work as a possible alternative for many customers. We're sorry if they are not really a viable option for you. However, perhaps you could instead consider switching to one of the AX/EX models, which will have all the same functionalities as the Server Auction servers. --Katie

• NirvanaNirvana Member
    edited January 2022

@Hetzner_OL said:
    This fourth option is the only one that you can choose if you want to take your IPs with you to your new server. I believe that option 3 is not possible because it is not possible to put the new servers in the racks for the old Server Auction servers.

Isn't that what's also supposed to happen with option 4 (except for the parallel part)?

"The technicians will then put your upgraded/"new" server in its place, and they will transfer the IPs." (https://docs.hetzner.com/robot/dedicated-server/general-information/root-server-upgrade/)

For that reason I was told by support that an upgrade to EX100 is only possible with options 1 and 2.

And options 1 and 2 do not apply if you want to transfer your IPs to the new server. -->Katie

And that's why this offer is not so great if you have to reorder existing IPs/subnets.

I asked Hetzner whether I can use their offer (order new server without setup fees) without having to cancel the affected auction servers and they replied it is not possible! So they force me to cancel them.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • I asked Hetzner about the possibility to migrate to a new server with option 3. Support answered that it was possible. So option 4 does not seem to be the only option. It probably depends on your current server.

• I confirm that other options are possible (probably depending on the situation of each customer). The server switch to an AX41-nvme was done this Tuesday (with option 3).

Due to the increase of SB servers, the deal was interesting: recent hardware, ssd nvme, more powerfull for a few more euros.