Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is 100 Mbps enough?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is 100 Mbps enough?

With the upload speeds limited to 100 Mbps on the new KS LE, is it enough to direct stream 4K movies with Plex? I tried my luck with two boxes but both had a gig down but only 100 Mbps up. I guess i used all my luck with the SYS 16TB.

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Nope. It's never enough. Never, ever.

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • Typically you should be fine, assuming you get a consistent 100 between you and the server. I imagine it depends on the encodes of your media and what bitrates those sit at.

The only time I've really used 4K is on 1G and for at least one of my blurays it seems to peak at around ~90.

But seeing as you already have the server(s)... can't you just try it?

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited January 2022

@Astro said:
    With the upload speeds limited to 100 Mbps on the new KS LE, is it enough to direct stream 4K movies with Plex? I tried my luck with two boxes but both had a gig down but only 100 Mbps up. I guess i used all my luck with the SYS 16TB.

normally you should be able to find out the average bitrate of your movies pretty easily. and normally that will be given in Mbit already. ;-)

you can also calculate based on the size, if you want to. let's say a 50GB movie with a 2h playtime: 50 * 8 * 1024 / 2 / 60 / 60 equals ~57Mbit per second.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited January 2022

How high quality are your 4K movies? Raw blu-ray rips ("remuxes") can be up to 144Mbps, but I don't imagine anyone is actually streaming those. Youtube recommends at least 35-45Mbps for 4K, and Apple TV+ uses ~35Mbps (as long as the internet connection has sufficient bandwidth). Netflix uses ~17Mbps but their 4K really isn't that good quality as it's heavily compressed.

• 100mbit is enough even for 4K remuxes as long as the client has a generous (1gb+) ram buffer configured

• Thanks guys!