Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need dedicated server for open tracker
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need dedicated server for open tracker

Hi, I run an open BitTorrent tracker for 20 million plus peers, and before you comment telling me I'm a horrible person or something just know I do not offer any copyrighted content directly or by linking, my service just handles info_hashes and peers. I also can block a hash if reported to me properly too. I'm not running ThePirateBay or something here, just a tracker, no website, no files, no links, no torrent clients, only hashes and peer information.

I'm seeking a provider who understands what I'm doing and will work with me instead of just telling me to "fix" the service so I don't get notices from bots, I have no means to stop copyright spam bots who maliciously send notices to my service IP instead of directly asking me to get whatever hash it is blocked. I'm also not distributing any copyrighted material myself, nor am I endorsing it or encouraging it. I do not ask you to ignore copyright notices (DMCA and similar), but to understand why my service may receive them and not be stupid when dealing with it by demanding I somehow prevent possibly infringing use before it happens, just like Google cannot do that neither can I.

My desired specs are as follows if you are a provider who is willing to work with me:

CPU: Any modern quad core or better should suffice
RAM: 8GB+ is fine
Storage: One or more SSD(s) of any size 64GB+ just to hold the OS and some small DB
Network: 1gbps port with minimum 100TB traffic but unmetered/unlimited is appreciated as I will probably use it sooner or later
DDoS Protection: None or ability to turn it off or configure it as the amount of packets looks like an incoming DDoS, but it is not
Location: Don't really care, anywhere that meets the other specs is fine
Price: Under 100USD a month would be ideal. I can also pay long term up front, or commit to long term contract, if you will agree to not remove me over fake notices
Payment method: Cryptocurrency is my preference but I can pay with a card too

If you have an offer for me and prefer to not post it publicly I give my permission to send me a direct message with your offer or to get more info from me.

Thank you for reading my post.

Comments

• Terrahost and SpectraIP would work without issues.

Thanked by 1terrahost
  • PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2022

We have worked with trackers before and can not only accomodate you but also help you make your service better.

Malicious DMCA bots are a rampant issue, we once did some analytics on them and at worst "one offence" generated 1300+ reports ... and that "offence report" was fake to begin with. Yes we had grounds to sue that operator 1000 times over but it's not what we do, and not worth our effort. Also that is rampart on that industry, we had similar cases for many many other DMCA bot operators.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited January 2022

I'm not running ThePirateBay or something here, just a tracker, no website, no files, no links, no torrent clients, only hashes and peer information.

I wonder how do tracker operators make money if there's no website hence no ads?
    Do you sell the peer information to copyright holders to make money?

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • bakliakihrbakliakihr Member
    edited January 2022

@jahrinc said:
    Terrahost and SpectraIP would work without issues.

Thank you for the suggestion.

@PulsedMedia said:
    We have worked with trackers before and can not only accomodate you but also help you make your service better.

Malicious DMCA bots are a rampant issue, we once did some analytics on them and at worst "one offence" generated 1300+ reports ... and that "offence report" was fake to begin with. Yes we had grounds to sue that operator 1000 times over but it's not what we do, and not worth our effort. Also that is rampart on that industry, we had similar cases for many many other DMCA bot operators.

It is an unfortunate issue that there is so much automation of legal notices with barely any human oversight, I've been hit many times despite being willing to work with legitimate requests and often trying to talk to them is a waste of time as all they do is threaten you. I will look at your website and see what might fit my needs.

@yoursunny said:
    I wonder how do tracker operators make money if there's no website hence no ads?

I do not make money, I lose money on this. Not everyone cares about profiting off things they do, I have a job and spend a little bit of money on this project and some others to try to do something good for others. And no I do not sell information to anyone. I don't have any means to gather the info even if I wanted to as it is over 20 million peers, hundreds of thousands of requests per second, I could not store this info even if I wanted to just by storage requirements alone. Here is some Google math to show how unlikely it is to store the info:

(600 bytes * 100 000) * 86 400 =
    5.18400 terabytes

Each UDP packet can be as much as 600 bytes, it is sometimes more sometimes less, but for ease I'll say it is always 600 bytes, times 100k requests per second times the number of seconds in a day makes for 5.18TB of data to potentially store per day, of course I probably don't need all the data from each packet so lets just half it and say 2.5TB per day, that is 75TB in a month potentially I'd need to store, I can't do that even if I want to.

Thanked by 2Ouji Not_Oles
  • @yoursunny said:

I'm not running ThePirateBay or something here, just a tracker, no website, no files, no links, no torrent clients, only hashes and peer information.

I sell tin foil hats, one size fits all.. lol

Thanked by 2bakliakihr Not_Oles
  • @yoursunny said:

Not everyone does it for money. Some do it just for well... kingdom and glory.

Thanked by 2bakliakihr Not_Oles
  • bakliakihrbakliakihr Member
    edited January 2022

I've received a few offers so far which I appreciate, thank you to anyone who reads my thread.

Edit: I forgot to say in the original post which I cannot edit that I do not actually need a dedicated network port and I don't use 1gbps 24/7, right now it is about 200mbps 24/7 but I expect it to grow to closer to 300mbps 24/7 this year eventually.

@jmaxwell said:
    Not everyone does it for money. Some do it just for well... kingdom and glory.

For me I just hope to make people's lives better, I don't gain any fame or anything.

To store logs? I have little desire to try it honestly lol.

Thanked by 2Not_Oles Void
  • KassemKassem Member
    edited January 2022

@bakliakihr said: To store logs? I have little desire to try it honestly lol.

To store anonymized data and analyze it for any interesting stats/insights.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles