Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scaleway has cheaper Ryzen 5 3600 than Hetzner (€29.99)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Scaleway has cheaper Ryzen 5 3600 than Hetzner (€29.99)

...but should you get it?

Scaleway 4 days ago released Elastic Metal line.

These are dedicated servers, but without setup fee, without waiting for deployment and... with hourly billing!

Their cheapest 'EM-A210R-SATA' is quite interesting!

Ryzen PRO 5 3600, 
16GB RAM, 
2x1TB HDD,
1Gbps... unmetered.
for €29.99/mo (excl. VAT)

You can order it with hourly billing and then you pay €0.083/hour.
I would get it for an hour to test and post obligatory YABS... but sadly its out of stock in both regions - Paris & Amsterdam.

It's not suprising WHY this server is are out of stock, we can just hope it will be restocked soon!

Do you think that this offer is pretty good or you should spend a little bit more on Hetzner AX41? Or maybe not 'little bit more', because of setup fee and then there's hourly billing... it kinda depends right?
If you already had server with Scaleway, how was your experience with them?

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@AXYZE said:

Bad. Unjustified price hikes, sudden end of life of services, incompetent support.

Only good part about Online.net is the cheap bandwidth and sometimes cheap pricing (until it gets hiked).

• Scaleway since their launch constantly changing their product lines, UI and what's not. I don't consider it as a stable provider.

Thanked by 1quicksilver03
  • PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@Nyr said:

@AXYZE said:

Bad. Unjustified price hikes, sudden end of life of services, incompetent support.

Only good part about Online.net is the cheap bandwidth and sometimes cheap pricing (until it gets hiked).

Don't forget unjustified sudden server switches to known broken models, and once you complain kicking you out lol. Oh well at least we got something like 5 figure refund from them and i think 2½ weeks time to move all customers out

Thanked by 1quicksilver03
  • I'd rather pay the additional 4EUR/month at Hetzner for 48GB more RAM.

• afnafn Member

@Detruire said: I'd rather pay the additional 4EUR/month at Hetzner for 48GB more RAM.

And more/faster storage (either 4TB HDD or 2TB SSD).
    And ability to add an extra drive for few euros for the OS in case you go for the Storage setup.

• Its very bad.
    1 - No IPMI.
    2 - You can't configure raid during installation.
    3 - you can change OS partitions during installation.
    4 - no root password only keys.

• @Detruire said:
    I'd rather pay the additional 4EUR/month at Hetzner for 48GB more RAM.

I think it is nice that this one is hourly though, if you can get one anyway.

@momkin said:
    Its very bad.
    1 - No IPMI.
    2 - You can't configure raid during installation.
    3 - you can change OS partitions during installation.
    4 - no root password only keys.

I get the first 3 complaints but I think key only should be normal, also you can set a password yourself once you're in the OS anyway.

• @bakliakihr said:

@Detruire said:
    I'd rather pay the additional 4EUR/month at Hetzner for 48GB more RAM.

I think it is nice that this one is hourly though, if you can get one anyway.

Indeed, if hourly billing fits your use case and there's actually stock when you need it. Personally it's more convenient just to run the server all month, and I certainly wouldn't trust Scaleway to have stock of anything special when I need it.