Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to secure Windows RDP connection
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to secure Windows RDP connection

wii747wii747 Member
edited January 2022 in Help

How do you lot secure your Windows RDP connection?

I am thinking of using Duo 2FA free package and just changing RDP port. Any other suggestions?

Comments

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

Whitelist your own IP address and block all others.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@rustelekom said:
    Whitelist your own IP address and block all others.

or if dynamic ip, get a cheap VPS install wireguard and white list the wireguard ip

• @wii747 said:
    How do you lot secure your Windows RDP connection?

I am thinking of using Duo 2FA free package and just changing RDP port. Any other suggestions?

I combine that with ipban.com and keeps the usual bots away.
    Port number change is just obscure in the name of security.
    Combined with Duo it should be OK.

Its tempting to use Administrator account, avoid as much as possible...

• I have an openVPN server running on my router at home. The Windows dedicated server connects to it as a client at startup, and the tunnel is set as 'private'. I only allow RDP for 'private' profile in the server's firewall.

• RDPGuard runs on the machine you are trying to protect, expensive, cyberarms makes free software that can block most of it, the database can crash though leaving the machine wide open from personal experience.

The best solution i had for free was cyberarms to collect the ips and a provider I used offered a firewall, I just imported all the ips into a list that dropped incoming packets from the ips in the list.

Thanked by 1hdpixel
  • Microsoft's RDP has become so discredited that the only way to safely use it is to wrap its traffic in a VPN tunnel.

• SSH Tunnel with RDP port forwarding? Bitvise makes a client that supports this directly.

https://bitvise.com/remote-desktop

Thanked by 1hdpixel
  • donkodonko Member
    edited January 2022

just change rdp port, 3389/tcp is a easy target for bots as 22/tcp

• Vpn it with zerotier

• Install Tailscale on both devices, and allow RDP access only via Tailscale.

(Zerotier also works)

Thanked by 1hdpixel
  • DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Change the port and use the firewall settings to allow only whitelisted IPs on the RDP port.

:)

• Anyone know how to add TFA in RDP?

• @youandri said:
    Anyone know how to add TFA in RDP?

Duo.com

Thanked by 1youandri
  • I think changing the default port 3389 to another port is pretty safe.

• @atharva said:
    I think changing the default port 3389 to another port is pretty safe.

I dont suggest that. Its security with obscurity... this will hardly offer any protection and it is definitely not 2FA

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • I use 110 chars password for RDP

• @plumberg said:

@atharva said:

I dont suggest that. Its security with obscurity... this will hardly offer any protection and it is definitely not 2FA

Oo i see..

• Change the port.

• Thanks all. I have changed the RDP Port and used duo 2fa for login 😊. Works great

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @wii747 said:
    Thanks all. I have changed the RDP Port and used duo 2fa for login 😊. Works great

Can you share how to the setting 2fa duo? Link maybe?
    Thanks.

• I'd personally would just setup a VPN server and use that to remote

• @youandri said:

@wii747 said:
    Thanks all. I have changed the RDP Port and used duo 2fa for login 😊. Works great

Can you share how to the setting 2fa duo? Link maybe?
    Thanks.

https://duo.com/docs/rdp

Thanked by 1youandri
  • @plumberg said:

@atharva said:

For most use cases, this is good enough. Most hacks are done with bots running port scan on the internet IPs in hopes of getting a hit. The usual port set is the defaults. So unless someone is performing a targeted attack, changing default ports are good enough.

Ofcourse using a VPN or setting up a 2FA is more secure, but then again, you have to ask yourself, what is the probability of you getting a targeted attack and what do you have to lose?

• @somik said:

@plumberg said:

@atharva said:

For most use cases, this is good enough. Most hacks are done with bots running port scan on the internet IPs in hopes of getting a hit. The usual port set is the defaults. So unless someone is performing a targeted attack, changing default ports are good enough.

Ofcourse using a VPN or setting up a 2FA is more secure, but then again, you have to ask yourself, what is the probability of you getting a targeted attack and what do you have to lose?

True - it all depends on how critical is the server/ data a user is keeping.

Its becoming more and more easy to gain scripts that scan a whole truckload of ports for script kiddies/ bots. Its a matter of time when switching port numbers will not mean much.

probability of targeted attacks --> these come at the least expected time and when you need access to your resource it will be a challenge.

here the OP seems to be interested in securing his RDP instance. Switching ports is just one of many items OP can do along with 2FA et all to gain some peace of mind... but switching ports doesn't do anything else...

• @somik said:

@plumberg said:

@atharva said:

and it becomes a problem when users rely on that obscurity as a critical control, and without that obscurity, the control fails.

• maroomaroo Member
    edited February 2022

@DewlanceVPS said:
    Change the port and use the firewall settings to allow only whitelisted IPs on the RDP port.

Interesting, but i m confuse how to deal with local dynamic IP if ip change.

• @maroo said:

@DewlanceVPS said:

Port knocking is the way to go. (apt install knockd)

• @maroo said:

@DewlanceVPS said:

You run a script from task scheduler every five minutes and if IP changes, update firewall with PowerShell commands. If you Google for "ip detect update firewall PowerShell", I'm sure it won't take much time finding what you want.

• ServerCityASServerCityAS Member
    edited February 2022

The best solution is to change rdp port, and white list ip address, and block udp rdp.
    if you can't use white list. the white list the isp (AS number) need exstra firewall to do it.

(if you don't block udp rdp , then it will be used for ddos amp)