Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need genuine feedback of HostHatch - No Fanboy please
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need genuine feedback of HostHatch - No Fanboy please

Dear LETers,

I am a new person on the planet of HostHatch. Looking at their cheap BF deals, I got one SG VPS. Like others, I also finally got my VPS 3 days ago. But the issue is the VPS is very unstable; goes offline and comes back itself. In 3 days, I had several downtimes.

So, my question is can HH VPS be used for a live website? How reliable HH VPS in SG is?
I need genuine feedback because I do not want my website to go to sleep when I go to sleep.

Comments

• What monitoring tools you used to determine VPS uptime?

• Maybe there are abuser in your node?

• of course. but no provider is 100% bulletproof.

• So, my question is can HH VPS be used for a live website? How reliable HH VPS in SG is?

Who is John Galt ?

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • @vyas11 said:

So, my question is can HH VPS be used for a live website? How reliable HH VPS in SG is?

Who is John Galt ?

It is the same person as Guilermo Laronde. The real question is who's Axel Bishop?

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@pkr

I also got a promo special from HostHatch quite a while ago and always was and still am happy (probably will run a benchmark though just for reassurance).

As for your problem, I'm not up to date/not following their current promos, but if you purchased your VPS during a promo I suggest to wait a couple of days, because there might be quite a few users on your node who, first thing, run benchmarks.

• pkrpkr Member

@chocolateshirt said:
    What monitoring tools you used to determine VPS uptime?

HetrixTools. Sometimes I cannot even SSH for hours.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • pkrpkr Member

@jsg said:
    @pkr

I also got a promo special from HostHatch quite a while ago and always was and still am happy (probably will run a benchmark though just for reassurance).

As for your problem, I'm not up to date/not following their current promos, but if you purchased your VPS during a promo I suggest to wait a couple of days, because there might be quite a few users on your node who, first thing, run benchmarks.

Thanks. I am thinking to wait for 10-15 days before moving any live website. Maybe some users are just running YABS for the whole day :)

• pkrpkr Member

@permatahost said:
    Maybe there are abuser in your node?

It seems so. I hope things will be normal soon.

• Have you checked the exact cause of the error? Without it, the only result would be a PMS thread here.

1. Is your VPS online and accessible through VNC when you face these outages?
    2. Have you taken a bidirectional MTR to isolate network issues?
    3. If it's not a network issue and/or the VPS is accessible through VNC, can you try to log in and observe the steal time and CPU usage of the VPS during the time of the issue?
    Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • My Singapore VPS is very stable, except for a forced restart by adding ipv6 to hosthatch yesterday morning, the rest of the time is very stable. But now IPV6 is very unstable, even if the network card is restarted, it will be offline after 5~10 minutes.

• I got mine in August 2021 when they launched SG location. Server has been very good in terms of performance, uptime and network, except the recent downtime.

See, https://hetrixtools.com/report/uptime/6fef4813c8aa2014589827e29a5f0ea9/

• Not in SG, my VPSes with HH are stable and reliable.

• mine is very stable too, i decide to migrate all my app from my old SG VPS to this

• nobizzlenobizzle Member
    edited January 2022

Please ignore my Affiliate link.

What I can tell about HostHatch is all the way positive, when it comes to the offered service of hosting a server for you. When it comes to support you should be aware thata there are better companies.

I'm mostly using my servers for personal stuff. I'm that kinda nerdy guy who is playing around with foss a lot, but nothing dead serious which my life depends on (although my backup plans might suggest that i do ;))

I can't talk about their "full price" customers, so I won't judge them in general. Maybe if you pay a a full price you'll have a better support. You'd have to find out yourself.

My conclusion is, that when the servers got deployed (which takes some time after BF) they are very reliable (mine are located in Europe), great uptime and superb server response times. I'm a customer for about 4 or 5 years now and got about 8 servers at the moment just at hosthatch. But if you are planning to run a super important service in production for customers, which needs ticket response times within a few hours or even minutes, I'd have a look at a different provider probably.

• @LTniger said:

@vyas11 said:

Who is John Galt ?

It is the same person as Guilermo Laronde. The real question is who's Axel Bishop?

Not an Ayn Rand fan I take it

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

If you are lucky, you never have problems, depending on location and node and network.

If you are unlucky, you get frequently fucked, plus waiting weeks for support replies.
    Same with Virmach.

If you desire hourly response times on tickets, pick a different provider.
    The joke is, most of the LET providers here provide that.

But even then, what does a support reply help if its shit, that won't fix crap.

I would take a different provider I guess and if you can't have 1 Hour downtime, setup something that can mitigate downtime by itself.

• @Neoon said: if you can't have 1 Hour downtime, setup something that can mitigate downtime by itself.

this.

• bdlbdl Member

I am atomic fanboy

• Dont know about SG. I have a LA box and no issues till date.

la #uptime
    08:16:52 up 80 days, 37 min, 1 user, load average: 0.04, 0.07, 0.11

For me they are a very reliable provider(I believe I'm there customer since 2015 - Their support improved over time). Earlier had hdd, ssd, backup and now nvme box.

• KermEdKermEd Member
    edited January 2022

@pkr said:
    Dear LETers,

I need genuine feedback because I do not want my website to go to sleep when I go to sleep.

You shouldnt rely on any provider on LET for anything long term. And especially if you need 100% uptime.

Always plan as if the services are going to be temporary.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited January 2022

OK, just finished a quick benchmark run on my 2 vCores, 8 GB mem (!), 40 GB NVMe, 20 TB traffic VPS for €30/yr.

Processor and memory unchanged performance, very nice, about 26xxv4 or Epyc level, disk still quite nice ca. 16 MB/s and 4000 IOPS (4K4T), network still really nice.

I'm perfectly happy with what I see.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @stevewatson301 said:
    Have you checked the exact cause of the error? Without it, the only result would be a PMS thread here.

1. Is your VPS online and accessible through VNC when you face these outages?
    2. Have you taken a bidirectional MTR to isolate network issues?
    3. If it's not a network issue and/or the VPS is accessible through VNC, can you try to log in and observe the steal time and CPU usage of the VPS during the time of the issue?

It sounds like duplicate IP's being assigned isn't so rare. But as you point out, it's useless if he doesn't do VNC investigation homework first.

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited January 2022

@Neoon said: If you are unlucky, you get frequently fucked, plus waiting weeks for support replies.
    Same with Virmach.

Gulp. I was about to get one of Virmach yearly deals that they are offering. Maybe more research into them is needed.

• @Arkas said:
    Gulp. I was about to get one of Virmach yearly deals that they are offering. Maybe more research into them is needed.

I have around 30 services with them spread across almost all their locations, and I've never experienced anything too bad stability wise. All my nodes report 100 or 99.99% uptime. I know this isn't going to align with everyone, but I'd say that they're very stable for the price. I've had some issues with HostHatch (just templated networking things, actual service has been fantastic). Moral of the story to me, try to install from your own ISO whenever possible, saves a lot of headache with botched deploys.

Thanked by 3FrankZ bulbasaur Arkas
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited January 2022

@Arkas said: Gulp. I was about to get one of Virmach yearly deals that they are offering. Maybe more research into them is needed.

IMHO I have never found VirMach support lacking, and I have been with them seven years. I have 15 VPS spread over all their locations, and the uptime is right up there with any provider I use. The problem people seem to have with them is that transfers take a really long time to finalize and they have over promised on upgrade to Ryzen.

Comparing HostHatch support response times with VirMach is unjustified in my opinion.

Thanked by 3bulbasaur Arkas davi
  • One word: avoid.

• @FrankZ said:

@Arkas said: Gulp. I was about to get one of Virmach yearly deals that they are offering. Maybe more research into them is needed.

IMHO I have never found VirMach support lacking, and I have been with them seven years. I have 15 VPS spread over all their locations, and the uptime is right up there with any provider I use. The problem people seem to have with them is that transfers take a really long time to finalize and they have over promised on upgrade to Ryzen.

Comparing HostHatch support response times with VirMach is unjustified in my opinion.

i find HH support way better than Virmach. my experience with virmach took a few mths just for them to investigate and then eventually migrate to a less crowded node. but of course mine was BF deal, so i reduced all virmach BF deals to only 1 and below $15 for 3GBram. so really YMMV.

• @KermEd said:

@pkr said:
    Dear LETers,

You shouldnt rely on any provider on LET for anything long term. And especially if you need 100% uptime.

Always plan as if the services are going to be temporary.

Um.. I beg to differ. There is a serious amount of very reliable providers on here, which will be about as reliable as the big players. Clouvider, BuyVM, Spry Servers, LaunchVPS and many others, which I have personally used for production stuff.

Obviously if you dig deep in the "this is my poop order, double my diarrhea" barrel - there is stuff that is likely less reliable than a rpi running at home would be, but there are definitely some really dependable and professional providers on here.

Thanked by 3jsg FrankZ launchvps
  • @cybertech said:

@FrankZ said:

i find HH support way better than Virmach. my experience with virmach took a few mths just for them to investigate and then eventually migrate to a less crowded node. but of course mine was BF deal, so i reduced all virmach BF deals to only 1 and below $15 for 3GBram. so really YMMV.

I used to have 30+ vms with Virmach. Now I only have one(1) and been wanting for a long time to move it. Currently I have 70+ vms with Hosthatch, but 800 on Vultr. Virmach used to have good support. Hosthatch support got better but still not that great. We also use IntoVPS if we need fast support on 20+ vms. Then we have backups on other providers, and ready VMs just incase.

If you are fine with response time within 24hr then go with Hosthatch. If you need fast reply and decent network then go with Vultr. As for SG our best use is with Leaseweb, however I do not recommend them for non-business or individuals as they are best for businesses or corporates who understands their terms and dreadful other charges/fees.