Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Changing OS without losing data on other HDD (servarica)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Changing OS without losing data on other HDD (servarica)

weir1weir1 Member

Hey guys,
I needed your help i have servarica Salamander Hybrid SSD and storage 4tb

I want to change my is from Ubuntu 18 to debian 11...i have data installed in HDD...how can I safely install new os debian 11 without hurting my data on HDD

I opened ticket but it seems servarica customer care Lil busy today..i needed it urgent

So any help will be appreciated

Comments

• I don't know how your setup is since my Servarica vps is one large volume. But can you unmount the 4TB HD, reinstall the OS, then remount it after the install? @servarica_hani what are his options?

Thanked by 1weir1
  • bshbsh Member

By installing new OS on your SSD, your data on 4TB HDD would be still there.
    After/By configuring your server, mount your HDD as you want in configs.

Thanked by 1weir1
  • @niknar1900 said:
    I don't know how your setup is since my Servarica vps is one large volume. But can you unmount the 4TB HD, reinstall the OS, then remount it after the install? @servarica_hani what are his options?

Thanks for reply...that would be great..and thanks for tagging servarica...i was just looking for his username

Thanked by 1niknar1900
  • @bsh said:
    By installing new OS on your SSD, your data on 4TB HDD would be still there.
    After/By configuring your server, mount your HDD as you want in configs.

I am seeing this option on thier site... should I select it...or unmount 1st??

If unmount then please any specific code

• servarica_haniservarica_hani Member, Patron Provider

Hi @weir1

the safest way is that we will give you another vps you can install your os of choice into then you manually move the data from old to new

the option to keep extra disks depend on how your vm disks is configured
    the idea is that for windows VPS for example we configure it as 2 separate disks which means using this option you will only reinstall the OS disk and the remaining disks will be reattached to new VPS

if you see all your disks as 1 big disk this option will not be useful

just wait a bit and one of the admin will create new vm for you to move your data (free)

• @servarica_hani said: just wait a bit and one of the admin will create new vm for you to move your data (free)

I will just wait..don't want to lose any data