Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

problem attaching disk already partitioned
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

problem attaching disk already partitioned

Hello, would like to ask if someone can help me.

i had a server running cpanel, with 2 disk, the primary disk failed and it was changed, now with the new disk and cpanel reinstalling, i can see the 2nd disk with fdisk -l. but when i try to mount it it gives me an read only error.

mount: /dev/sdb is write-protected, mounting read-only

since i have data there, i dont want to partition disk again, so what can i do?

thank you

Comments

• OH MY GOD ... haven't see you for a long time.

no natural disasters can bring you down?

hehe.... well , good to remember some old times.

did you reboot with for example recover and checked disks? --- backups?

• FractionFrankFractionFrank Member, Host Rep

Is there actually partitions on there? Would have expected fdisk -l to show a /dev/sdb1 for example and you would want to mount that....

It is mounting the drive as read only, so you should still be able to navigate to wherever you have mounted it, worth then checking if your data/files are there..

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @ehab said:
    OH MY GOD ... haven't see you for a long time.

no natural disasters can bring you down?

hehe.... well , good to remember some old times.

did you reboot with for example recover and checked disks? --- backups?

didnt work with rescue, so needed to reinstall a new disk

• @FractionFrank said:
    Is there actually partitions on there? Would have expected fdisk -l to show a /dev/sdb1 for example and you would want to mount that....

It is mounting the drive as read only, so you should still be able to navigate to wherever you have mounted it, worth then checking if your data/files are there..

fdisk -l didnt show anything, how can i see what is inside if not mounted? thanks

• For grins, try: blkid /dev/sdb
    maybe it's encrypted or something.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • FractionFrankFractionFrank Member, Host Rep

@dedicados said:

fdisk -l didnt show anything, how can i see what is inside if not mounted? thanks

It says its mounting it as ready only for you (meaning you can read from it but not write to it..) so it should be mounted...

If fdisk -l isn't showing any partitions thats probably not good... Are you sure you re-installed the operating system onto the new disk and not the old one?

Maybe have a look at disk serials/info with the following:
    yum install smartmontools
    smartctli -i /dev/sda
    smartctli -i /dev/sdb

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

A read-only mount can indicate a corrupted file system. Simply run fsck -a /dev/your_secondary_disk to solve the problem. Note that this method is suitable for the ext2-ext4 file system. An xfs-type file system cannot be recovered in this simple way. But I assume your secondary drive uses ext4.

Thanked by 1dedicados