Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

eNom data center migration mistakenly knocks sites offline
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

eNom data center migration mistakenly knocks sites offline

yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

eNom domain registrar, which manages over 15 million domains, is experiencing a botched server migration resulting in all domains using its servers being down for over a 24 hour period.
Maintenance window has been extended multiple times, and the issue is still ongoing.

Customer websites are down.
Emails are not delivering.

"What's absolutely nuts about this is we can not change our NameServers due to eNom itself is down (going on 24 hours now). Never in my life have I been in a situation where I can't route around network issue at the root domain records level. We are totally trapped!"
eNom customer

One of the affected websites is Certitudes, a geocaching puzzle checker, which creates great difficulty for geocachers around the world.

Comments

• I thought you were lowend.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

40 hours by now and I am sure this will result in hell lot of domains migrated elsewhere when they get back.

This much long downtime means they have something fucked up like data loss, busy in recovering ?

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

Quarterly reminder that even the big dogs mess up.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@MannDude said:

This honestly feels like a "cruft" issue. Basically a lot of really old ass legacy things that were strung together 10 years ago and it never got addressed.

"Oh fuck why is that reliant on that?"

Francisco

Thanked by 1jsg
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2022

@Francisco said:

@MannDude said:

This honestly feels like a "cruft" issue. Basically a lot of really old ass legacy things that were strung together 10 years ago and it never got addressed.

"Oh fuck why is that reliant on that?"

Francisco

Could be. But regardless of the issue, makes me feel a bit better that even industry giants can have major issues. See GoDaddy, Facebook, Google, Amazon, etc. Seems like every couple months.

• I was thinking to migrate my domains somewhere else, now I am not thinking anymore, pretty sure about it.
    Luckily I got my primary ns somewhere else :)

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Boogeyman said:
    I thought you were lowend.

I only know this because I can't access Certitudes.
    It's back now.

@frezz said:
    I was thinking to migrate my domains somewhere else, now I am not thinking anymore, pretty sure about it.
    Luckily I got my primary ns somewhere else :)

It's a good idea separating registrar and nameserver.
    A downtime at the registrar doesn't normally affect nameserver.
    A downtime at the nameserver can be resolved by changing to a new nameserver at the registrar, although this could take several days.