Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We are very comfortable with the new cPanel pricing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

We are very comfortable with the new cPanel pricing

jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

Hi, we have been using cPanel since 2006 (We used LayeredTech servers)...

Since 2009 we bought our licenses from buycpanel for servers in our network and others from OVH for servers hosted at OVH.

Approximately we purchased a new license every month. Not for us, but when a client hires a managed VPS from us, the license is included in the price.

With the change of licensing model in 2019 we became a cPanel partner to buy licenses directly. And we started charging separate license fees. They were no longer included in the VPS price.

This month we have stopped paying the last license to OVH, now we only have the ones we bought directly from cPanel.

We have been months without acquiring new licenses, we still offer managed servers on our web site, but customers hardly buy them anymore, it has become too expensive because of the price of the licenses, and the licenses we already had are gradually being reduced.

Actually, we feel quite comfortable with this situation... our main business model has always been unmanaged servers, they are customers that do not give problems and do not require support and thanks to this price increase the trend is being of customers moving their platform managed with cPanel to unmanaged with open panels.

We have never earned anything with cPanel licenses and now we are seeing how by just synchronizing the cost of the licenses and without doing anything else, the bill with cPanel is reduced every month and we have customers more focused on unmanaged models without cPanel.

Thanks cPanel for your great work!

Comments

• ok

Thanked by 2dedicados SP
  • SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

That's first positive thing I heard about it.

Thanked by 3webcraft PulsedMedia SP
  • Interesting take on the situation. I guess it's because you didn't want that part of the business. For those of us who pay for it, though, it sucks.

Thanked by 2JasonM PulsedMedia
  • It looks like you will be happier because they bear a lot of debt. they need a lot of cash flow.
    https://www.fitchratings.com/research/corporate-finance/fitch-affirms-webpros-term-loan-at-b-on-upsizing-18-05-2020

take over lifeboats before ship completely sinks

@fbmy said:
    It looks like you will be happier because they bear a lot of debt. they need a lot of cash flow.
    https://www.fitchratings.com/research/corporate-finance/fitch-affirms-webpros-term-loan-at-b-on-upsizing-18-05-2020

take over lifeboats before ship completely sinks

Which company, Oaklay Capital ?

• good!

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I think it becomes an issue with CPanel directly when you have less licenses than the minimum, then you need to pay full price or look elsewhere.

Anyway DA is much better IMO.

I raised a support ticket with CPanel before Christmas and they took forever to reply. Pretty sure it was like 14+ hours.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I liked the part about unmanaged customers needing less support. In some circles it's true, but if you hit a broader market you'll find that people are less willing to pay for management and more willing to tell all their friends what a douchebag you are for not providing it.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Unmanaged = managed on LET.

Quite frankly, low end users don't know the difference.

• DediRockDediRock Member, Patron Provider

100%

@jar said:
    I liked the part about unmanaged customers needing less support. In some circles it's true, but if you hit a broader market you'll find that people are less willing to pay for management and more willing to tell all their friends what a douchebag you are for not providing it.

Thanked by 1jar
  • A very happy giner is a fragrant giner.

Thanked by 2jar CheepCluck
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@jar as always the real value is in the comments

But yes an interesting take.

Thanked by 1jar
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited January 2022

OK. So now cPanel may increase prices again, as clients become more and more comfortable. :tongue:

Yap, to increase price to increase comfort.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • @Saahib said:
    Yap, to increase price to increase comfort.

Yes. There is a correlation between price and comfort. As cPanel increases price, customers feel more and more "comfortable".

Thanked by 2PulsedMedia webcraft
  • @default said:
    OK. So now cPanel may increase prices again, as clients become more and more comfortable. :tongue:

I'm sure they will since people like the OP of this thread come from every cranny and nook regardless of how much they hike the prices and cancel existing agreements.

It only needs one useful idiot in a right place to justify whatever comes next.

Some people are naturally into masochism and suffering, and they get some kink out of it, and there's sadly nothing we can do about that. If only they kept that perversion to themselves, the rest of us would have so much easier.

Better bite the pillow now lads, the next thrust is gonna come in dry, and many will be surprised and outraged.

• @stefeman said:

@default said:

I'm sure they will since people like the OP of this thread come from every cranny and nook regardless of how much they hike the prices and cancel existing agreements.

It only needs one useful idiot in a right place to justify whatever comes next.

Some people are naturally into masochism and suffering, and they get some kink out of it, and there's sadly nothing we can do about that. If only they kept that perversion to themselves, the rest of us would have so much easier.

Better bite the pillow now lads, the next thrust is gonna come in dry, and many will be surprised and outraged.

Thanked by 1stefeman
  • lonealonea Member, Host Rep

This is/was the issue with a lot of provider, they "bundled" the licensing cost into the service cost and they can't absorb it.

Then they are upset because they made that decision.

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep

Much better, No.

Good for the money, Yes.

Let's face it, if they are the same price (which they were before). Nobody would buy DA.

@JamesF said: Anyway DA is much better IMO.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Yep, I'm still confused by cPanel but this is such a great post!

• yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited January 2022

It's like saying, I am very comfortable with iPhone 20 price, because I don't use it.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • Who asked?

• I've never been much of a fan of cPanel. Unless you're running shared hosting I don't see the point in it myself, and even shared hosts would do better with DirectAdmin or for that matter Plesk (and YES I know OC owns Plesk as well).

The OP's experience is great and what it shows is that people don't need cPanel as much as they (i.e. Oakley Capital) thought they did. I still think that OC will run cPanel into the ground and keep Plesk. That's what I've thought since day 1 and I've seen no evidence to make me change my mind. When OC bought cPanel, Plesk was already the better panel and more versatile. Let's face it there's a reason OC bought out cPanel: it was failing and WAY behind in development.

I get it though - if you've got dozens of servers it's going to be a massive headache to migrate from one control panel to another. A lot of people don't understand that you can't just uninstall cPanel and then install something else, it doesn't work that way - you have to set the server up from scratch and then migrate all the accounts over to a new server and then rinse-and-repeat.

For VPS customers, well I see no point in why anyone would want cPanel on their VPS (unless it's for running shared hosting) especially a low-end one. DirectAdmin I can see how some low-end VPS clients would get good use out of it, it's really IMO a much better product for that. I wouldn't use it myself of course for that just saying that I think it's a great control panel and suitable for that use.

Thanked by 1adly
  • @lonea said: Le

@lonea said:
    Much better, No.

Good for the money, Yes.

Let's face it, if they are the same price (which they were before). Nobody would buy DA.

@JamesF said: Anyway DA is much better IMO.

I will if DA push into development of the same features (which are way more than cPanel one) cPanel needed 2 years to move to newer version of OS and still do not install on servers with network manager (you can workarround it bu it is not officially supported )

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@coolice said: still do not install on servers with network manager

Why would you need that under a cPanel server :o

• @Maounique said:

@coolice said: still do not install on servers with network manager

Why would you need that under a cPanel server :o

Because I run VMs with ZFS storage replication (on 5 min) to remote severs (remote DC in some cases -OVH - GRA <> RBX <> SBG,) and when something happens to VMs with network manager and I execute the one liner to start VM on the remote reserve server and move the IP from provider panel ... it finds the new routes and just run

vs VMs that use route-ethX after boot I got to login with VNC and change that file and restart networking ... which is not that hard but i use complicated passwords and my vnc do not have copy paste and that make the the experience more unpleasant for me

P.S I think I'm too much of a princess to require NM to work with cPanel because:

1 NetworkManager is default networking method since RH7 (beta in 2014 - so close to 8 years now )
    2.NM Works with any other panel DA, ISPConfig, VirtualMin, and even CWP (Centos WebPanel install and rins) only cPanel refuse to install on such VMs giving a warning message that it could not install because of NetworkManager

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2022

Wow, that is complicated...
    cPanel has a complicated setup as well with so many things and many tenants where someone would actually need every feature.
    Adding even more things to have in mind when you implement features and upgrades is probably not worth it.
    Sure, for limited use cases, where you need only 10% of the full array of the features, it can look annoying, but if the devs wish to keep it sane, let alone simple, they have to sacrifice some things which are unlikely to be used by more than 1% of the userbase. There are many panels which support NM, as you have said, if cPanel would do everything perfectly, then everyone would say you are a cheap ass for using alternatives.

• @Maounique said:
    Wow, that is complicated...
    cPanel has a complicated setup as well with so many things and many tenants where someone would actually need every feature.
    Adding even more things to have in mind when you implement features and upgrades is probably not worth it.
    Sure, for limited use cases, where you need only 10% of the full array of the features, it can look annoying, but if the devs wish to keep it sane, let alone simple, they have to sacrifice some things which are unlikely to be used by more than 1% of the userbase. There are many panels which support NM, as you have said, if cPanel would do everything perfectly everyone would say you are a cheap ass for using alternatives.

devs go beyond to not support NetworkManager.service .... in RH7 based distros NetworkManager is default networking, network.service is installed but disabled, you got to reenable it for cPanel and define manual routes, in RH8 by default only NetworkManager.service is available... network.service do not exist after full install ...

Any way im down to 4 licenses and when 7 based OS EOL I hope to drop them totally and try to not provisioned new ones

P.S. it worked ok when SBG2 burnout :neutral: 5 min old data (before thermal shutdown or blazes) was booted on the reserves, I only waited 6 hours for failover IPs to move as alot of people was moving IPs at same moment but ovh seems to improve that... so that is my disaster recovery plan ...

• AndrewSSDAndrewSSD Member, Host Rep

cPanel licenses increased recently in the last two or three years we were also using buycpanel , but now it's hard to buy a cpanel license for a client, Our client's is using open source panels and they are doing great and most of them now are better than cpanel.

• @AndrewSSD said:
    cPanel licenses increased recently in the last two or three years we were also using buycpanel , but now it's hard to buy a cpanel license for a client, Our client's is using open source panels and they are doing great and most of them now are better than cpanel.

Do you know which open source panels better than cpanel?