Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any successful transfers of email to MXRoute?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any successful transfers of email to MXRoute?

It is time for me to transfer my email to MXroute after years of procastination.

There isn't much info on the process on their help pages.

Can anyone regale me with some info about the success on the process?

Do the utilities like imapsync and offlineimap work smoothly the first time around?

Important question - what happens to incoming mail during the switchover? Does it bounced back to the sender during the period, or does it get tried again once the process is complete?

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited January 2022

I think some dork named @jarr could answer that.

• @deank said:
    I think some dork named @jar could answer that.

He can't be expected to say anything negative about his product that his why third party opinions are needed.

If those parties say they had some problems that @jar was able to help them with that will be even better.

• @k9banger said:

He can't be expected to say anything negative about his product that his why third party opinions are needed.

If those parties say they had some problems that @jar was able to help them with that will be even better.

I think what you should maybe work with @jar on is building a strategy to help transition your data over and handle mail without losing coverage.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2022

I've heard very little about problems with imapsync, it usually is exactly the right tool for the job. I don't know about all this either:

@k9banger said: He can't be expected to say anything negative about his product

Few people have a history of self-deprecation equal to mine. I know, I watch.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

@k9banger said:

New here, aren't you. The dude is a sadist.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@deank said:

@k9banger said:

New here, aren't you. The dude is a sadist.

Our favorite troll finally figured out the Quote button.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • imapsync works well. If you just have one or two accounts, using an email client like thunderbird and drag-and-drop might actually be faster and easier.

@k9banger said: what happens to incoming mail during the switchover? Does it bounced back to the sender during the period, or does it get tried again once the process is complete?

I believe any modern MTA will repeatedly attempt to deliver until it successfully routes the email to the correct MX server, unless the switchover takes too long (like longer than 1 week).

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@dedipromo said: I believe any modern MTA will repeatedly attempt to deliver until it successfully routes the email to the correct MX server, unless the switchover takes too long (like longer than 1 week).

Aye. As long as they don't connect to what their DNS servers tell them is your MX and receive a 5xx or 2xx code they'll basically try again (can be explained with more complexity but to little or no gain).

• eDigitaleDigital Member
    edited January 2022

the imap/pop function in the MXroute webmail interface worked perfectly, I migrated from Office 365 without any issues. The import sync will tell you how many total mails to be imported and how many are in the process of syncing.

If you are not happy with the sync, you can delete off the account, recreate it and re-sync again.

Thanked by 1k9banger
  • I am using free Zoho which does not support IMAP. Zoho allows exporting email folder zipped as .eml files. Can I import those .eml files in Mxroute?

Thanked by 2Hayashima Ympker
  • Tbh, I have 6 domains in my mxroute regular price account. I also would like to know if there is an easy to transfer one account's data to another account.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

It's pretty easy task. My recommendation would be using imapsync from your VPS close to their locations. And you can change your MX records prior to set to MXRoute so that new emails reach MXRoute & the migrated ones will always be in bottom list as they are older emails than the new ones. I have migrated about 100GBs of emails using imapsync. It is very stable, just I had to repeat some of the transfer due to the some issues.

• alentoalento Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2022

My best practices for using IMAPSYNC include changing the TTL of your existing MX records to the lowest possible value a day before the switch over. The use IMAPSYNC to migrate the emails, switch DNS to MXroute, and run IMAPSYNC again 2x the TTL time later. The second sync should pick up any emails delivered to the old host during the process.

Thanked by 1ericls
  • ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

@alento said:
    My best practices for using IMAPSYNC include changing the TTL of your existing MX records to the lowest possible value a day before the switch over. The use IMAPSYNC to migrate the emails, switch DNS to MXroute, and run IMAPSYNC again 2x the TTL time later. The second sync should pick up any emails delivered to the old host during the process.

Good advice, I'll try to incorporate into an automated solution.

Also @k9banger , shameless plug: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/183055/im-building-a-free-tool-to-help-you-migrate-existing-mailboxes-to-mxroute#latest